|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long is the Appalachian Trail?
(a) 1200 miles
(b) 2100 miles
(c) 800 miles
(d) 2700 miles
2. How long is the average hike time for the complete trail?
(a) 10 weeks
(b) Four months
(c) 2 months
(d) 3 months
3. What creatures were living in Birch Spring Gap Shelter?
4. What is the primary role of the Forest Service?
(a) Negotiate with logging contractors
(b) Develop scenic views, rest stops, and camping areas
(c) Maintaining hiking trails
(d) Road building
5. What is the title of the book Bill reads snuggled in bed weeks before the walk begins?
(a) Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance
(b) Camping Fun for the Family
(c) 10 Steps for Safe Camping
(d) Bears and Bobcats, We Share the World
6. What is the most compelling reason for Bryson to hike the trail?
(a) Parts of the trail have ties to his ancestors.
(b) The temperate zone forest is quickly vanishing.
(c) Funding is scarce and the trail may soon be discontinued.
(d) He wants to travel while he is still able.
7. How are Bryson and Katz covering the last 11 miles to Hiawassee?
(a) A very fast walking pace
(c) An unusual number of sitting rest stops
(d) A very slow walking pace
8. What does Katz buy in Franklin that irritates Bryson?
(a) A beer
(b) A TV Guide
(c) Cream Soda
(d) A box of Snickers
9. Who sees hiking as a dirty, pointless endeavor?
(a) Mary Ellen
(b) Bryson's wife
10. In what year is the Appalachian Trail formally completed?
11. What does the far shore of Fontana Lake border?
(a) The boundary of Smoky Mountain National Park
(b) The boundary of North Carolina
(c) The boundary of the Tennessee Valley
(d) The southern boundary of Great Smoky Mountain National Park
12. How do Katz and Bryson get to Knoxville?
(a) Riding in a wagon
(b) Riding in a cab
(c) Riding in a dump truck
(d) Riding on a horse
13. Of what material are the shelters in the Rockies constructed?
(a) Pine branches
14. What is the strange move Katz makes when he realizes they have chosen too much food?
(a) He removes most of the items then reloads with many canned beans.
(b) He abandons the full cart in the aisle, gets an empty cart and starts over.
(c) He removes all items from the cart except the freeze dried.
(d) He removes all the crackers, cookies and candy.
15. What is the odd method Bryson uses to find a hiking partner?
(a) Includes an invitation note with the Christmas cards
(b) Asks the neighbors to spread the word, then those people spread the word, etc.
(c) Places an ad in the local newspaper
(d) Posts a bulletin board notice at the outdoor gear store
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the usual pattern of hours Bryson and Katz hike?
2. What is the weather like in Virginia?
3. What are Bryson and Katz's reaction to the commercialism of Knoxville?
4. What is Bryson's reply when Katz asks him how he got over the fallen tree across the trail?
5. What is a common trade in northern Georgia?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)