|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kills the Chestnut trees along the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Poisonous aphids
(b) A deadly Asian fungus
(c) Root rot
2. What creatures were living in Birch Spring Gap Shelter?
3. What is Benton MacKaye's job?
(a) Coordinating WPA projects in New York state.
(b) Coordinating WPA projects in the state of Georgia.
(c) Coming up with ideas to improve efficiency and morale in the U. S. Labor Department
(d) Collaborating with labor unions on U. S. Labor Department projects.
4. In March and April, what percent of hikers drop out the first week?
5. What do Bryson and Katz decide to do when they see a full map of the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Skip fifty miles of trail
(b) Skip a few hundred miles of trail
(c) Give up on the hike
(d) Plod ahead
6. What is Katz planning to do in Franklin?
(a) Go to the movies
(b) Go shopping
(c) Idle in town for several days
(d) Find a woman
7. What makes the trail easier for Bryson and Katz when they hike on after the snowstorm?
(a) Someone went through with a snowmobile, making a path.
(b) The snow melts quickly.
(c) A hiker before them patted down the snow.
(d) Bryson and Katz put spikes on their shoes.
8. What surprises Bryson about his equipment shopping trip?
(a) There is an extensive list of places to eat and sleep.
(b) The amount and prices of the gear exceed his expectations.
(c) Most of the equipment is simple to understand.
(d) There are very few options from which to choose.
9. What is the title of the book Bill reads snuggled in bed weeks before the walk begins?
(a) Camping Fun for the Family
(b) Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance
(c) 10 Steps for Safe Camping
(d) Bears and Bobcats, We Share the World
10. What do Bryson and Katz begin hiking?
(a) The Blue Ridge Mountains
(b) The White Mountains
(c) The Rockies
(d) The Smokies
11. What is the name of the amusement park Dolly Parton built in Gatlinburg?
12. What is the major drawback of AT trail maps?
(a) The are too many inaccuracies.
(b) The maps are big and bulky.
(c) The maps are not weatherproof, disintegrate easily.
(d) Lack of detail makes the maps almost useless.
13. What is David Anderson doing when the bear attacks?
(a) Making too much noise in the woods
(b) Eating a Snickers bar
(c) Sleeping in his tent
(d) Cooking hamburgers
14. Where do Bryson and Katz stay after eight days of hiking?
(a) Potomac Mountain
(c) Gravel Creek
15. What is one of Bryson's fears about the hike?
(a) Adequate funds to complete the hike is doubtful
(b) Security of the homestead
(c) All the wildlife roaming about in the woods
(d) Time off from employment is frowned upon
Short Answer Questions
1. Who maps out the actual paths and begins construction?
2. What do the dreary Georgia towns and the dreary people bring to mind?
3. What is the food Bryson has about which Katz gets excited?
4. How does Bryson feel about not hiking the entire Appalachian Trail?
5. Why is Katz determined to take a top bunk?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)