|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Bryson and Katz decide not to hike the whole Appalachian Trail?
(a) They miss their families.
(b) They see a map of the trail and realize they have so far to go.
(c) They want to get home quicker.
(d) They are tired.
2. While Bryson climbs the first mountain, what is Katz doing well behind him?
(a) Sitting while reading maps
(b) Throwing items out of his heavy pack in a fit of temper
(c) Pitching camp in midday for the upcoming night
(d) Making coffee and eating sugary snacks
3. What kills the Chestnut trees along the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Poisonous aphids
(b) Root rot
(d) A deadly Asian fungus
4. Where do most hikers begin the Appalachian Trail?
(a) From south to north
(b) In October
(c) From north to south
(d) In September
5. What is the unexpected factor with the snowstorm?
(a) Rapid accumulation
(b) The total lack of wind
(c) Sudden onset
(d) The fierce wind
6. What is the name of the blind man who hikes the entire Appalachian Trail with his seeing eye dog?
(a) Woodrow Murphey
(b) David Horton
(c) Bill Irwin
(d) Bill Thorton
7. What is the description of Georgia highlanders?
(a) Downtrodden and joyful
(b) Depraved, rude, uncivilized
(c) Constantly striving to gain acceptance
(d) Exceedingly poor but happy
8. How does Bryson feel about not hiking the entire Appalachian Trail?
(a) He is angry at himself.
(b) He is disappointed.
(c) He feels good about it.
(d) He feels like a failure.
9. What do Katz and Bryson hear about Mary Ellen two days after they leave her behind?
(a) She managed to get ahead of them.
(b) She dropped out with blisters on her feet.
(c) She is hiking with other hikers.
(d) She got lost in the woods.
10. What is an accurate description of Bryson and Katz's new friend?
11. Where does Bryson suggest he and Katz go to begin hiking again?
12. What is the condition of Bryson's motel room in Hiawassee?
(a) Neat and clean
(b) Neat but unclean
(c) Barely furnished
(d) Battered and dumpy
13. What is the fate of any enterprise in America that does not reinvent itself?
(a) It retains a loyal following
(b) It is superseded or abandoned.
(c) It continues to struggle.
(d) It is considered quaint.
14. What do the dreary Georgia towns and the dreary people bring to mind?
(a) An ambitious people in process of improving their lot
(b) A series of last settlements as the area nears the point of logged out
(c) The movie, Deliverance
(d) A tough working class of people
15. Why is Katz walking most places at the time he calls Bill?
(a) He is recovering from a heart attack.
(b) He is on a rigorous fitness program.
(c) His car has been repossessed.
(d) He is on a fad diet and exercise routine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the odd method Bryson uses to find a hiking partner?
2. Where were twenty miles of trail lopped off in 1958?
3. What do Bryson and Katz talk about as they dine in the Georgia Mountain Restaurant in Hiawassee?
4. Who is one of the most famous thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail?
5. What does Bryson want to do right after getting cleaned up?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)