|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Bryson and Katz on the morning hike after the snowstorm?
(a) 8 college students
(b) Darren and Donna
(c) Jim and Heath from Chattanooga
(d) Zeke and Festus
2. What does Bryson conclude is the best advice in dealing with a bear in your midst?
(a) Never run and attempt to hide because the bear will always pursue.
(b) Loudly sing a song because a bear will listen to unfamiliar sounds and will then depart.
(c) No one really knows; opinions vary and contradict each other.
(d) Always run and attempt to hide and the bear will lose interest.
3. What is the condition of Bryson's motel room in Hiawassee?
(a) Battered and dumpy
(b) Barely furnished
(c) Neat and clean
(d) Neat but unclean
4. What is the physical condition of Bryson and Katz when they reach Clingman's Dome?
(b) Tired and drained
(c) Soaked and filthy
(d) Bloody and bruised
5. What is the major drawback of AT trail maps?
(a) The are too many inaccuracies.
(b) The maps are big and bulky.
(c) Lack of detail makes the maps almost useless.
(d) The maps are not weatherproof, disintegrate easily.
6. What does Bryson say is his universe while he is on the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Thinking of home
(b) The forest
(c) Thinking about getting to the next town
(d) Waiting to rest for the night
7. What is causing Bryson and Katz to hurry the descent of Blood Mountain?
(a) Katz is sick and getting sicker
(b) A substantial storm is almost upon them
(c) Thoughts of Walasi-Yi Inn, having sandwiches and ice cream
(d) They have seen 3 bears
8. What is the name of the blind man who hikes the entire Appalachian Trail with his seeing eye dog?
(a) Bill Irwin
(b) Woodrow Murphey
(c) Bill Thorton
(d) David Horton
9. What is the fate of any enterprise in America that does not reinvent itself?
(a) It is considered quaint.
(b) It retains a loyal following
(c) It is superseded or abandoned.
(d) It continues to struggle.
10. Who is the first person to hike the Appalachian Trail in a single summer?
(a) Earl Shaffer
(b) David Horton
(c) Woodrow Murphey
(d) Bill Irwin
11. What was the famous event that took place in Dayton in 1925?
(a) Scopes trial
(b) Dayton tornado
(c) Gangland shooting
(d) Flash flood
12. What does Bryson want to do right after getting cleaned up?
(a) Make a campsite cooking fire and warm his hands
(b) Read his books
(c) Take a nap
(d) Get back to the hiking trail
13. Why is Katz determined to take a top bunk?
(a) He distrusts most of the crowd
(b) Odors at floor level are nauseating
(c) He intends to sleep late in to the morning
(d) Heat rises
14. What makes Bryson and Katz decide not to hike the whole Appalachian Trail?
(a) They miss their families.
(b) They see a map of the trail and realize they have so far to go.
(c) They want to get home quicker.
(d) They are tired.
15. What item does Katz throw out of his pack to lighten the weight?
(a) Cans of stew
(b) Coffee filters
(c) A huge salami
(d) Canned fruit
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the usual pattern of hours Bryson and Katz hike?
2. Where do botanists consider the finest mix of mesophytic forest?
3. What is Bryson's longstanding impression of the woods?
4. Who sees hiking as a dirty, pointless endeavor?
5. Who is one of the most famous thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)