|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the footpath around Big Butt especially dangerous?
(a) The path is always slick with ice.
(b) The footpath is very narrow with a steep drop on each side.
(c) The path is always slick with wet moss.
(d) Overhanging branches can whiplash the face.
2. Who maps out the actual paths and begins construction?
(a) Washington Irving
(b) Myron Avery
(c) Charles Whitaker
(d) Martin A. Berry
3. What was enacted in 1968 to create 25,000 miles of new hiking trails in America?
(a) The Federal Hiking Act
(b) The Federal Trail Development Act
(c) The National Hiking Act
(d) The National Trails System Act
4. Where does Bryson suggest he and Katz go to begin hiking again?
5. What do Bryson and Katz begin hiking?
(a) The White Mountains
(b) The Rockies
(c) The Blue Ridge Mountains
(d) The Smokies
6. What surprises Bryson about his equipment shopping trip?
(a) Most of the equipment is simple to understand.
(b) The amount and prices of the gear exceed his expectations.
(c) There is an extensive list of places to eat and sleep.
(d) There are very few options from which to choose.
7. What is the pack weight for the average Appalachian hiker?
(a) 35 pounds
(b) 45 pounds
(c) 40 pounds
(d) 50 pounds
8. What is an accurate description of Bryson and Katz's new friend?
9. What is the weather like in Virginia?
(a) Rainy and cold
(b) Spring is in full swing.
(d) Windy and cold
10. What is Bryson surprised to find at the first shelter?
(a) The shelter has fallen in and has no roof
(b) A crowd of hikers
(c) The shelter has burned from a careless campfire
(d) The shelter is teeming with bugs, spiders and crawlies
11. Which is another of Bryson's fears?
(a) Inadequate planning
(b) Inadequate supplies
(c) Lack of needed stamina
12. Who gives Bryson gear shopping etiquette instructions?
(d) Daughter's boyfriend
13. What is a major drawback to accepting a ride in the Pontiac?
(a) The driver is extremely drunk.
(b) The music is painfully loud.
(c) The car seems to be overheating.
(d) The young couple shouts and argues.
14. What is a common trade in northern Georgia?
(a) Whiskey making and bootlegging
(b) Fur trapping
(c) Woodland crafts
(d) Hunting and meat packing
15. Where does Bryson reside in the beginning of the book?
(a) New Hampshire
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cabdriver suggest Bryson and Katz do to get to their destination?
2. What did the future hold for Earl Schaffer?
3. What is the name of the blind man who hikes the entire Appalachian Trail with his seeing eye dog?
4. Which true story by author, Herrero, describes the injuries a grizzly can deliver quickly?
5. What was the famous event that took place in Dayton in 1925?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)