|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the far shore of Fontana Lake border?
(a) The boundary of the Tennessee Valley
(b) The boundary of North Carolina
(c) The boundary of Smoky Mountain National Park
(d) The southern boundary of Great Smoky Mountain National Park
2. How long is the Appalachian Trail?
(a) 1200 miles
(b) 2700 miles
(c) 800 miles
(d) 2100 miles
3. What is the food Bryson has about which Katz gets excited?
(d) Candy bars
4. Who maps out the actual paths and begins construction?
(a) Myron Avery
(b) Charles Whitaker
(c) Martin A. Berry
(d) Washington Irving
5. What occupies Bryson's thoughts as he awaits springtime?
(a) His troubled son
(b) His teaching post at the university
(c) Bear attacks
(d) His shaky finances
6. Which true story by author, Herrero, describes the injuries a grizzly can deliver quickly?
(a) A bear tore all the skin from the back and the butt of a hiker squatting for a rest stop.
(b) A woman tourist was attacked and her 3 month old baby was eaten whole by a bear.
(c) A woman hiker got her leg bitten clean off and survived.
(d) A hunter got his face ripped off by a supposedly dead bear and survived.
7. Who is one of the most famous thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Crazy Bob
(b) Chicken John
(c) John Connelly
(d) Emma Grandma Gatewood
8. When were over half of all the offices and malls in America today built?
(a) Since the 1980's
(b) Since the 1950's
(c) Since the 1970's
(d) Since the 1930's
9. What does the cabdriver suggest Bryson and Katz do to get to their destination?
(a) Rent a motorscooter
(b) Go by bus
(c) Rent a car
(d) Catch the train
10. In what year is the Appalachian Trail formally completed?
11. The north point of the Appalachian Trail begins in which state?
12. How do Katz and Bryson get to Knoxville?
(a) Riding in a wagon
(b) Riding in a cab
(c) Riding on a horse
(d) Riding in a dump truck
13. What is the record for the longest section hike along the Appalachian Trail?
(a) Twenty years
(b) Seventeen years
(c) Forty-six years
(d) Thirty-two years
14. Where is MacKaye's trail idea first published?
(a) In a guide for summer hiking
(b) In an architectural journal
(c) In his hometown newspaper in Cambridge MA
(d) In the New York Times
15. What is the odd method Bryson uses to find a hiking partner?
(a) Includes an invitation note with the Christmas cards
(b) Asks the neighbors to spread the word, then those people spread the word, etc.
(c) Places an ad in the local newspaper
(d) Posts a bulletin board notice at the outdoor gear store
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bryson and Katz talk about as they dine in the Georgia Mountain Restaurant in Hiawassee?
2. What is the third state through which Bryson and Katz travel?
3. What is the major drawback of AT trail maps?
4. What are Katz and Bryson confronted with when they reach High Top?
5. What is the pack weight for the average Appalachian hiker?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)