|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the odd method Bryson uses to find a hiking partner?
(a) Places an ad in the local newspaper
(b) Posts a bulletin board notice at the outdoor gear store
(c) Includes an invitation note with the Christmas cards
(d) Asks the neighbors to spread the word, then those people spread the word, etc.
2. What occupies Bryson's thoughts as he awaits springtime?
(a) His troubled son
(b) His teaching post at the university
(c) Bear attacks
(d) His shaky finances
3. Which food is Katz complaining about because Bryson left it behind?
(a) Hersey chocolate
(b) Gummy bears
(c) Snickers bars
(d) Little Debbie snacks
4. What is Benton MacKaye's job?
(a) Coming up with ideas to improve efficiency and morale in the U. S. Labor Department
(b) Coordinating WPA projects in New York state.
(c) Coordinating WPA projects in the state of Georgia.
(d) Collaborating with labor unions on U. S. Labor Department projects.
5. Where is MacKaye's trail idea first published?
(a) In a guide for summer hiking
(b) In an architectural journal
(c) In his hometown newspaper in Cambridge MA
(d) In the New York Times
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Bryson about his equipment shopping trip?
2. Where is 12-year-old David Anderson mauled and killed by a black bear?
3. How many people are attacked by bears each year on the entire AT?
4. Which is another of Bryson's fears?
5. What is the most compelling reason for Bryson to hike the trail?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)