|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what does the vet tell Peter about Cooper?
2. When Mary Oliver receives word of the threat, what does she tell her sons to do?
3. In Chapter 24, a pickup truck pulls over to Peter. Who is driving the truck?
4. After the white church is destroyed, where do the white people go to pray?
5. Why does M.C. startle Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Peter hears about a location called the Farm. Describe this place.
2. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
3. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
4. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
5. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
6. In Chapters 15 and 16, Peter finds himself isolated from the men at work. What causes this rift?
7. Describe Peter's relationship with Cooper.
8. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
9. Describe Governor Wallace and what Peter thinks about him in.
10. How do the teachings of Stephen Gaskin influence Peter in a positive way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Peter Jenkins uses the techniques of flashback and foreshadowing throughout A Walk Across America. Define both the terms flashback and foreshadow. Provide one example for each term from the book. How does Peter use these techniques? What benefits do they provide to the reader's understanding of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion and God in A Walk Across America. What role does it play in the book? Show where Peter encounters religion and how it helps him overcome obstacles. Do you think Peter set forth on his journey in order to find God? Why or why not?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)