|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, who does Peter discover lives in Murphy?
2. How do the guests at the celebration get along with each other?
3. When Chapter 22 opens, where is Peter working?
4. Why does Peter have the emotions he is feeling at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. At the end of Chapter 19, where is Peter headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the altercation Peter is involved in during Chapter 24 and how it is resolved.
2. Describe the act of nature that occurs in Murphy in Chapter 17. How does Mary Elizabeth react?
3. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
4. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
5. How does being on the Farm influence Peter in a positive way?
6. In Chapter 19, Peter hears about a location called the Farm. Describe this place.
7. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
8. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
9. Describe M.C Jenkins. What important role does he play in Peter's life?
10. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dialect is often used in dialogue in A Walk Across America. How is the use of dialect beneficial to the story? How is the use of dialect a distraction? Cite examples from the text and explain your position. Why do you think Peter Jenkins uses dialect in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Homer, the mountain man, and Peter choose to isolate themselves from society in different ways. Compare and contrast the isolation Peter and Homer put upon themselves in A Walk Across America. Cite examples from the book. Why do you think that Homer and Peter choose isolation over human companionship?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)