|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Peter plans to travel to a location in Tennessee. How is this location described?
2. How does Cooper die?
3. What is "butcher night" as referred to in Chapter 15?
4. Why does Peter not set up his tent in Chapter 24?
5. What does Governor Wallace tell Peter before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the act of nature that occurs in Chapter 17 pull together the town?
2. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
3. In Chapter 19, Peter hears about a location called the Farm. Describe this place.
4. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
5. Describe the Oliver family home.
6. How do the teachings of Stephen Gaskin influence Peter in a positive way?
7. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
8. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
9. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
10. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Cooper is a terrible blow for Peter. Describe the events leading to Cooper's death and how it actually occurs. How do you believe Cooper's death changes Peter? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Peter Jenkins uses the techniques of flashback and foreshadowing throughout A Walk Across America. Define both the terms flashback and foreshadow. Provide one example for each term from the book. How does Peter use these techniques? What benefits do they provide to the reader's understanding of the book?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)