|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does M.C. put into Peter's head?
2. Where is Peter at the beginning of Chapter 24?
3. What code does Peter use to describe Alabama?
4. At the end of Chapter 23, what does Peter decide to try and do?
5. What room does Peter stay in while at M.C.'s house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's impression of Stephen Gaskin?
2. In Chapter 19, Peter hears about a location called the Farm. Describe this place.
3. How does the act of nature that occurs in Chapter 17 pull together the town?
4. How does being on the Farm influence Peter in a positive way?
5. Describe M.C Jenkins. What important role does he play in Peter's life?
6. In Chapters 15 and 16, Peter finds himself isolated from the men at work. What causes this rift?
7. Describe the altercation Peter is involved in during Chapter 24 and how it is resolved.
8. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
9. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
10. Describe the act of nature that occurs in Murphy in Chapter 17. How does Mary Elizabeth react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of religion and God in A Walk Across America. What role does it play in the book? Show where Peter encounters religion and how it helps him overcome obstacles. Do you think Peter set forth on his journey in order to find God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)