|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Governor Wallace makes Peter an offer. What is Peter's response to Governor Wallace's offer?
2. After the white church is destroyed, where do the white people go to pray?
3. In Chapter 23, Peter is debating traveling to which two states?
4. How long after Cooper dies does Peter leave the Farm?
5. What code does Peter use to describe Alabama?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does being on the Farm influence Peter in a positive way?
2. Describe the altercation Peter is involved in during Chapter 24 and how it is resolved.
3. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
4. Describe M.C Jenkins. What important role does he play in Peter's life?
5. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
6. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
7. In Chapter 23 Peter meets a family while walking. What does the family do for him, and how does this change his opinion on Alabama?
8. Describe the Oliver family home.
9. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
10. In Chapters 15 and 16, Peter finds himself isolated from the men at work. What causes this rift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peter's stay in Robbinsville, North Carolina. How does this setting illustrate the lack of acceptance in the world? What do you think causes the underlying tensions in the town? Cite examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Through the course of his journey Peter meets many people. Describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most positive way. How do they change Peter for the better? Does Peter change that individual? What are the circumstances surrounding their meeting? Then describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most negative fashion. How do they change Peter for the worse? Does Peter change this individual? Support your opinion with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There are three main conflicts in A Walk Across America. These are Peter vs. society, Peter vs. nature, and Peter vs. himself. Choose two conflicts to write about and explain them in depth. Also include how Peter overcomes these conflicts. Use examples from the entire book.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)