|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Cooper dies does Peter leave the Farm?
2. At the Farm Peter meets many people, why does Peter never meet Stephen Gaskin?
3. In Chapter 14, who is Preacher?
4. In Chapter 25, Governor Wallace makes Peter an offer. What is Peter's response to Governor Wallace's offer?
5. How does Peter feel about America at the end of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
2. How do the teachings of Stephen Gaskin influence Peter in a positive way?
3. In Chapter 23 Peter meets a family while walking. What does the family do for him, and how does this change his opinion on Alabama?
4. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
5. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
6. How does the act of nature that occurs in Chapter 17 pull together the town?
7. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
8. How does being on the Farm influence Peter in a positive way?
9. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
10. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter has to make many choices in A Walk Across America. Describe three choices that Peter makes during the course of the book and how these decisions change the course of Peter's journey.
Essay Topic 2
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
There are three main conflicts in A Walk Across America. These are Peter vs. society, Peter vs. nature, and Peter vs. himself. Choose two conflicts to write about and explain them in depth. Also include how Peter overcomes these conflicts. Use examples from the entire book.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)