|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter feel when he leaves M.C's place?
2. What is "butcher night" as referred to in Chapter 15?
3. At the Farm Peter meets many people, why does Peter never meet Stephen Gaskin?
4. How does Peter feel about America at the end of Chapter 18?
5. In Chapter 14, who is Preacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's impression of Stephen Gaskin?
2. How does the act of nature that occurs in Chapter 17 pull together the town?
3. How do the teachings of Stephen Gaskin influence Peter in a positive way?
4. In Chapter 19, Peter hears about a location called the Farm. Describe this place.
5. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
6. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
7. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
8. How is the accident in Chapter 22 going to change Peter's journey?
9. In Chapter 23 Peter meets a family while walking. What does the family do for him, and how does this change his opinion on Alabama?
10. Describe Peter's relationship with Cooper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Homer, the mountain man, and Peter choose to isolate themselves from society in different ways. Compare and contrast the isolation Peter and Homer put upon themselves in A Walk Across America. Cite examples from the book. Why do you think that Homer and Peter choose isolation over human companionship?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)