|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter give the Oliver family a gift?
2. At the start of Chapter 24, whom does Peter call?
3. Why do the bootleggers dislike Peter?
4. At the end of Chapter 25, Peter goes to a restaurant and meets a black man. Where did the black man send his children to school?
5. Who does Peter forgive at the end of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
2. In Chapter 23 Peter meets a family while walking. What does the family do for him, and how does this change his opinion on Alabama?
3. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
4. How does the act of nature that occurs in Chapter 17 pull together the town?
5. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
6. Describe Peter's church experience while living with the Oliver family in Chapter 13.
7. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
8. What is Peter's impression of Stephen Gaskin?
9. How is the accident in Chapter 22 going to change Peter's journey?
10. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous signs Peter searches for on his journey. What do you believe is the most important sign he receives and why? Do you believe that he missed any important signs that may have lead him in a different direction? Use examples from the book to help you with your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what you consider to be the climax of A Walk Across America. Describe the scene and use the definition of literary climax to argue that it is indeed the climax. If there was another possible event in A Walk Across America to be defined as the climax what would it be and why? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)