|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does M.C. put into Peter's head?
2. Where does Peter meet. M.C.?
3. At the Farm Peter meets many people, why does Peter never meet Stephen Gaskin?
4. In Chapter 21, what does Cooper not like?
5. In Chapter 15, who is Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
2. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
3. Describe the altercation Peter is involved in during Chapter 24 and how it is resolved.
4. How does being on the Farm influence Peter in a positive way?
5. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
6. Describe the Oliver family home.
7. Describe Peter's church experience while living with the Oliver family in Chapter 13.
8. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
9. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
10. How is the accident in Chapter 22 going to change Peter's journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Generosity is something that Peter both experiences and practices while on his journey. Cite three examples of where acts of generosity occur in A Walk Across America. How do these acts change both the person who is acting generously and the person who is on the receiving end? Do you think that Peter began his journey as a generous person or did he learn to be generous through his journey? Explain your reasoning with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dialect is often used in dialogue in A Walk Across America. How is the use of dialect beneficial to the story? How is the use of dialect a distraction? Cite examples from the text and explain your position. Why do you think Peter Jenkins uses dialect in his book?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)