|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "butcher night" as referred to in Chapter 15?
2. Where are Peter and Cooper at the beginning of Chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 25, Governor Wallace makes Peter an offer. What is Peter's response to Governor Wallace's offer?
4. Where is Peter leaving at the start of Chapter 19?
5. By the end of Chapter 22, who does Peter realize he may be searching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Oliver family home.
2. Describe the altercation Peter is involved in during Chapter 24 and how it is resolved.
3. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
4. Describe the act of nature that occurs in Murphy in Chapter 17. How does Mary Elizabeth react?
5. What is Cooper's impression of the Farm?
6. How do the teachings of Stephen Gaskin influence Peter in a positive way?
7. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
8. Describe M.C Jenkins. What important role does he play in Peter's life?
9. Describe Peter's church experience while living with the Oliver family in Chapter 13.
10. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Peter has to make many choices in A Walk Across America. Describe three choices that Peter makes during the course of the book and how these decisions change the course of Peter's journey.
Essay Topic 3
Peter Jenkins uses the techniques of flashback and foreshadowing throughout A Walk Across America. Define both the terms flashback and foreshadow. Provide one example for each term from the book. How does Peter use these techniques? What benefits do they provide to the reader's understanding of the book?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)