|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Peter go to work while living in Murphy?
2. Why does Peter give the Oliver family a gift?
3. In Chapter 26, what does M.C. pay Peter to do?
4. How do the bootleggers threaten the Oliver family in Chapter 15?
5. In Chapter 15, who does Peter discover lives in Murphy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the act of nature that occurs in Chapter 17 pull together the town?
2. How do the teachings of Stephen Gaskin influence Peter in a positive way?
3. Describe M.C Jenkins. What important role does he play in Peter's life?
4. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
5. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
6. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
7. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
8. Describe the Oliver family home.
9. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
10. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Homer, the mountain man, and Peter choose to isolate themselves from society in different ways. Compare and contrast the isolation Peter and Homer put upon themselves in A Walk Across America. Cite examples from the book. Why do you think that Homer and Peter choose isolation over human companionship?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)