|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter not set up his tent in Chapter 24?
2. What does Governor Wallace tell Peter before he leaves?
3. What is "butcher night" as referred to in Chapter 15?
4. How does Peter feel about America at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What are Cooper and Peter doing at the start of Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, Peter hears about a location called the Farm. Describe this place.
2. Describe the altercation Peter is involved in during Chapter 24 and how it is resolved.
3. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
4. Describe Governor Wallace and what Peter thinks about him in.
5. Describe the Oliver family home.
6. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
7. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
8. Describe M.C Jenkins. What important role does he play in Peter's life?
9. What is Peter's impression of Stephen Gaskin?
10. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter describes a dream he has before moving in with the Oliver family. Describe the dream Peter has. What is the significance of this dream? How does this dream come true?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Jenkins uses the techniques of flashback and foreshadowing throughout A Walk Across America. Define both the terms flashback and foreshadow. Provide one example for each term from the book. How does Peter use these techniques? What benefits do they provide to the reader's understanding of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)