|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date do Peter and Cooper arrive at their first city destination?
2. In Chapter 9, Peter and Scott become lost on the mountain. How do they treat each other?
3. What does the special officer think Peter's profession is?
4. In Chapter 4, a local establishment provides Peter with items for him to carry on his trip. How many items do they provide him with?
5. What is the name of the person that helps Peter and Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
2. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
3. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
4. Peter meets many people on his trip. Sometimes people react to Peter in a bad way. Describe people's reactions to Peter and why they feel that way. Cite an example from Chapters 1-4.
5. List some hardships that Peter faces in Chapter 5.
6. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
7. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
8. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
9. In Chapter 5, why does Peter decide walking in the mountains is pointless?
10. Describe Peter and Cooper's first involvement with a helpful American in Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of Cooper is a terrible blow for Peter. Describe the events leading to Cooper's death and how it actually occurs. How do you believe Cooper's death changes Peter? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)