|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like at the end of Chapter 8?
2. On what date do Peter and Cooper arrive at their first city destination?
3. At the end of Chapter 12, what is Peter doing when the special officer arrives?
4. Where did Peter grow up?
5. In Chapter 4, Peter visits a place which will provide him equipment on his journey. What is this place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter feel as the holidays approach in Chapter 9? How does he deal with these emotions?
2. Describe Peter's life while in college.
3. Describe Peter and Cooper's first involvement with a helpful American in Chapter 3.
4. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
5. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
6. In Chapter 9, Peter meets a woman at a diner. Describe their interaction.
7. What holiday is approaching in Chapter 5? How do Peter and Cooper celebrate?
8. Describe Homer and his home.
9. List some hardships that Peter faces in Chapter 5.
10. Why is the country store at the start of Chapter 5 so important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter has to make many choices in A Walk Across America. Describe three choices that Peter makes during the course of the book and how these decisions change the course of Peter's journey.
Essay Topic 2
Peter Jenkins writes A Walk Across America in the first-person narrative. Define first-person narrative versus third-person narrative. Would the book be better if written in the third person? What particular scenes would be better and why?
Essay Topic 3
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)