|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 5, where do Peter and Cooper heads toward?
2. What makes Peter's travel difficult in Chapter 9?
3. What does Peter wear that is controversial?
4. Where did Peter grow up?
5. What sub-culture do people think Peter is a member of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
2. List some hardships that Peter faces in Chapter 5.
3. Describe Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer in Chapter 12.
4. Describe Peter's life growing up.
5. Describe Peter and Scott's journey in Chapters 9 and 10.
6. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
7. Describe Peter's life while in college.
8. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
9. In Chapter 1, how does Peter feel about America? What does he decide to do? Why does he change his mind?
10. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)