|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city do Peter and Cooper arrive in at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What sub-culture do people think Peter is a member of?
3. What is the name of the person that helps Peter and Cooper?
4. When does Peter reach Washington, DC?
5. What is Peter's first reaction upon encountering the challenge in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
2. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
4. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
5. Why is the country store at the start of Chapter 5 so important?
6. Describe Peter's life growing up.
7. Peter meets many people on his trip. Sometimes people react to Peter in a bad way. Describe people's reactions to Peter and why they feel that way. Cite an example from Chapters 1-4.
8. Describe Homer and his home.
9. Describe Peter and Scott's journey in Chapters 9 and 10.
10. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine what you consider to be the climax of A Walk Across America. Describe the scene and use the definition of literary climax to argue that it is indeed the climax. If there was another possible event in A Walk Across America to be defined as the climax what would it be and why? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Peter's stay in Robbinsville, North Carolina. How does this setting illustrate the lack of acceptance in the world? What do you think causes the underlying tensions in the town? Cite examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Generosity is something that Peter both experiences and practices while on his journey. Cite three examples of where acts of generosity occur in A Walk Across America. How do these acts change both the person who is acting generously and the person who is on the receiving end? Do you think that Peter began his journey as a generous person or did he learn to be generous through his journey? Explain your reasoning with examples from the book.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)