|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, we learn Peter married while in College. Whom did he marry?
2. What does Peter decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
3. In Chapter 3, what does the individual do after he helps Peter and Cooper?
4. What date does Peter start his journey?
5. What does Peter learn in Fontana Village, North Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter's emotional state as he starts his journey at the end of Chapter 4.
2. How does Peter feel as the holidays approach in Chapter 9? How does he deal with these emotions?
3. Describe Peter and Scott's journey in Chapters 9 and 10.
4. What holiday is approaching in Chapter 5? How do Peter and Cooper celebrate?
5. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
6. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
7. Describe Peter's life growing up.
8. In Chapter 4, what happens when Peter arrives in Washington, DC?
9. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
10. In Chapter 9, Peter meets a woman at a diner. Describe their interaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the course of his journey Peter meets many people. Describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most positive way. How do they change Peter for the better? Does Peter change that individual? What are the circumstances surrounding their meeting? Then describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most negative fashion. How do they change Peter for the worse? Does Peter change this individual? Support your opinion with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of religion and God in A Walk Across America. What role does it play in the book? Show where Peter encounters religion and how it helps him overcome obstacles. Do you think Peter set forth on his journey in order to find God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Peter's stay in Robbinsville, North Carolina. How does this setting illustrate the lack of acceptance in the world? What do you think causes the underlying tensions in the town? Cite examples from the book to support your opinion.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)