|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Peter and Cooper find a place to stay. Where is it?
2. When does Peter reach Washington, DC?
3. While walking through the mountains Peter realizes something. What does he realize?
4. In Chapter 5, how does the person that stops help Peter and Cooper?
5. In Chapter 5, the author begins to see signs. What are the signs for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter's emotional state as he starts his journey at the end of Chapter 4.
2. Describe Peter's method for writing on his trip. How does Peter manage to not carry lots of writing supplies?
3. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
4. Describe Homer and his home.
5. Describe Cooper and how he came to live with Peter.
6. In Chapter 4, what happens when Peter arrives in Washington, DC?
7. In Chapter 1, how does Peter feel about America? What does he decide to do? Why does he change his mind?
8. Describe Peter and Cooper's first involvement with a helpful American in Chapter 3.
9. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
10. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of religion and God in A Walk Across America. What role does it play in the book? Show where Peter encounters religion and how it helps him overcome obstacles. Do you think Peter set forth on his journey in order to find God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)