|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how does the person that stops help Peter and Cooper?
2. How long do Peter and Cooper stay with Homer?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Peter promise his host before leaving?
4. What type of weather did Peter and Cooper encounter while traveling through Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina?
5. In Chapter 4, a local establishment provides Peter with items for him to carry on his trip. How many items do they provide him with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
2. What is Peter's impression of Stephen Gaskin?
3. In Chapter 5, why does Peter decide walking in the mountains is pointless?
4. Describe Peter and Cooper's first involvement with a helpful American in Chapter 3.
5. Briefly summarize the afterword in Peter's book.
6. How does Peter attempt to fulfill himself prior to starting his journey?
7. Why is the country store at the start of Chapter 5 so important?
8. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
9. Describe Peter's relationship with Cooper.
10. Describe Cooper and how he came to live with Peter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dialect is often used in dialogue in A Walk Across America. How is the use of dialect beneficial to the story? How is the use of dialect a distraction? Cite examples from the text and explain your position. Why do you think Peter Jenkins uses dialect in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Peter describes a dream he has before moving in with the Oliver family. Describe the dream Peter has. What is the significance of this dream? How does this dream come true?
Essay Topic 3
Peter and Cooper have an extremely close bond through the course of the book. Explain the importance of Cooper and Peter's relationship. What does Cooper's presence contribute to Peter's journey? How would Peter's journey be different if Cooper was not there. Use examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)