Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 5, where do Peter and Cooper heads toward?
2. Why is Peter surprised when he meets Homer?
3. Where are Peter and Cooper when Chapter 1 begins?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Peter promise his host before leaving?
5. In Chapter 3, who helps Peter with Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the map that Peter provides in his book.
2. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
3. In Chapter 9, Peter meets a woman at a diner. Describe their interaction.
4. Describe Peter's life growing up.
5. Describe the Oliver family home.
6. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
7. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
8. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
9. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
10. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous signs Peter searches for on his journey. What do you believe is the most important sign he receives and why? Do you believe that he missed any important signs that may have lead him in a different direction? Use examples from the book to help you with your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)