|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what do Peter and Cooper do to prepare for their journey?
2. In Chapter 10, who saves Peter, Scott, and Cooper from the attack?
3. In Chapter 8, Peter and Cooper find a place to stay. Where is it?
4. Why does the sheriff ask Peter to leave?
5. Along the way, Cooper and Peter stop at a country store to buy a feast. Who joins them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter's life while in college.
2. Describe Cooper and how he came to live with Peter.
3. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
4. Describe the map that Peter provides in his book.
5. What holiday is approaching in Chapter 5? How do Peter and Cooper celebrate?
6. Describe Peter's life growing up.
7. Describe Homer and his home.
8. Why is the country store at the start of Chapter 5 so important?
9. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
10. List some hardships that Peter faces in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two cultural events occurring during Peter's journey, the Vietnam War and racial tension. Which event do you believe has the largest impact on Peter's journey and why? How would Peter's journey be different if this event was not happening? Use examples from the book to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Dialect is often used in dialogue in A Walk Across America. How is the use of dialect beneficial to the story? How is the use of dialect a distraction? Cite examples from the text and explain your position. Why do you think Peter Jenkins uses dialect in his book?
Essay Topic 3
There are three main conflicts in A Walk Across America. These are Peter vs. society, Peter vs. nature, and Peter vs. himself. Choose two conflicts to write about and explain them in depth. Also include how Peter overcomes these conflicts. Use examples from the entire book.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)