|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Peter grow up?
2. What does Peter decide to do at the end of Chapter 12?
3. In Chapter 5, who stops to help Peter and Cooper?
4. On what date do Peter and Cooper arrive at their first city destination?
5. In Chapter 5, Peter and Cooper meet their first big challenge. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
2. How does Peter feel as the holidays approach in Chapter 9? How does he deal with these emotions?
3. In Chapter 5, why does Peter decide walking in the mountains is pointless?
4. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
5. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
6. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
7. Describe the map that Peter provides in his book.
8. Why are Barbara and Peter looking for a sign from God in Chapter 30?
9. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
10. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Generosity is something that Peter both experiences and practices while on his journey. Cite three examples of where acts of generosity occur in A Walk Across America. How do these acts change both the person who is acting generously and the person who is on the receiving end? Do you think that Peter began his journey as a generous person or did he learn to be generous through his journey? Explain your reasoning with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Peter has to make many choices in A Walk Across America. Describe three choices that Peter makes during the course of the book and how these decisions change the course of Peter's journey.
Essay Topic 3
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)