|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Peter's climb in the mountains such a challenge?
2. When does Peter reach Washington, DC?
3. In Chapter 2, what do Peter and Cooper do to prepare for their journey?
4. Who joins Peter and Cooper on their journey in Chapter 9?
5. At the end of Chapter 12, how does Peter feel people perceive him?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
2. In Chapter 4, what happens when Peter arrives in Washington, DC?
3. Why is the country store at the start of Chapter 5 so important?
4. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
5. Peter meets many people on his trip. Sometimes people react to Peter in a bad way. Describe people's reactions to Peter and why they feel that way. Cite an example from Chapters 1-4.
6. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
7. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
8. Describe Homer and his home.
9. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
10. How does Peter attempt to fulfill himself prior to starting his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peter's stay in Robbinsville, North Carolina. How does this setting illustrate the lack of acceptance in the world? What do you think causes the underlying tensions in the town? Cite examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Peter Jenkins uses the techniques of flashback and foreshadowing throughout A Walk Across America. Define both the terms flashback and foreshadow. Provide one example for each term from the book. How does Peter use these techniques? What benefits do they provide to the reader's understanding of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Through the course of his journey Peter meets many people. Describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most positive way. How do they change Peter for the better? Does Peter change that individual? What are the circumstances surrounding their meeting? Then describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most negative fashion. How do they change Peter for the worse? Does Peter change this individual? Support your opinion with examples from the text.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)