|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author keep track of his adventures without carrying a lot of materials?
2. At the end of Chapter 12, how does Peter feel people perceive him?
3. In Chapter 6, Peter is told he needs to meet Homer. Who tells him this?
4. What world event is occurring during the book?
5. What type of person is Homer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
2. Describe Peter's method for writing on his trip. How does Peter manage to not carry lots of writing supplies?
3. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
4. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
5. How is Peter helped in Chapter 5?
6. In Chapter 1, how does Peter feel about America? What does he decide to do? Why does he change his mind?
7. Describe Cooper and how he came to live with Peter.
8. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
9. Describe Peter and Scott's journey in Chapters 9 and 10.
10. Describe Homer and his home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peter's stay in Robbinsville, North Carolina. How does this setting illustrate the lack of acceptance in the world? What do you think causes the underlying tensions in the town? Cite examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion and God in A Walk Across America. What role does it play in the book? Show where Peter encounters religion and how it helps him overcome obstacles. Do you think Peter set forth on his journey in order to find God? Why or why not?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)