|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, Peter visits a location which provides him materials for him trip. What does the place provide him with?
2. Who joins Peter and Cooper on their journey in Chapter 9?
3. At the end of Chapter 12, what is Peter doing when the special officer arrives?
4. Along the way, Cooper and Peter stop at a country store to buy a feast. Who joins them?
5. In Chapter 3, what does the individual do after he helps Peter and Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Homer and his home.
2. Describe the map that Peter provides in his book.
3. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
4. Describe Peter's life growing up.
5. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
6. Describe Peter's life while in college.
7. Describe Cooper and how he came to live with Peter.
8. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
9. Describe Peter's emotional state as he starts his journey at the end of Chapter 4.
10. In Chapter 9, Peter meets a woman at a diner. Describe their interaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter Jenkins writes A Walk Across America in the first-person narrative. Define first-person narrative versus third-person narrative. Would the book be better if written in the third person? What particular scenes would be better and why?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Jenkins uses the techniques of flashback and foreshadowing throughout A Walk Across America. Define both the terms flashback and foreshadow. Provide one example for each term from the book. How does Peter use these techniques? What benefits do they provide to the reader's understanding of the book?
Essay Topic 3
The death of Cooper is a terrible blow for Peter. Describe the events leading to Cooper's death and how it actually occurs. How do you believe Cooper's death changes Peter? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)