|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Peter feeling about his journey at the end of Chapter 4?
2. How does Peter react to offer of a free meal?
3. In Chapter 5, Peter and Cooper meet their first big challenge. What is it?
4. Where are Peter and Cooper when Chapter 1 begins?
5. At the start of Chapter 9, where is Peter headed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer in Chapter 12.
2. How does Peter attempt to fulfill himself prior to starting his journey?
3. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
4. Describe Peter and Cooper's first involvement with a helpful American in Chapter 3.
5. Describe Peter's emotional state as he starts his journey at the end of Chapter 4.
6. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
7. Describe Peter's method for writing on his trip. How does Peter manage to not carry lots of writing supplies?
8. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
9. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
10. Describe Homer and his home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dialect is often used in dialogue in A Walk Across America. How is the use of dialect beneficial to the story? How is the use of dialect a distraction? Cite examples from the text and explain your position. Why do you think Peter Jenkins uses dialect in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of religion and God in A Walk Across America. What role does it play in the book? Show where Peter encounters religion and how it helps him overcome obstacles. Do you think Peter set forth on his journey in order to find God? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are two cultural events occurring during Peter's journey, the Vietnam War and racial tension. Which event do you believe has the largest impact on Peter's journey and why? How would Peter's journey be different if this event was not happening? Use examples from the book to argue your opinion.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)