|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the lady at the diner give Peter a free meal?
2. In what State do Peter and Cooper stay with the sheriff and his family?
3. On what date do Peter and Cooper arrive at their first city destination?
4. What does Peter learn in Fontana Village, North Carolina?
5. In Chapter 4, a local establishment provides Peter with items for him to carry on his trip. How many items do they provide him with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sign from God revealed to Barbara and Peter?
2. Describe Peter's emotional state as he starts his journey at the end of Chapter 4.
3. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
4. Describe the map that Peter provides in his book.
5. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
6. In Chapter 23 Peter meets a family while walking. What does the family do for him, and how does this change his opinion on Alabama?
7. How does Peter attempt to fulfill himself prior to starting his journey?
8. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
9. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
10. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
Essay Topic 1
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Determine what you consider to be the climax of A Walk Across America. Describe the scene and use the definition of literary climax to argue that it is indeed the climax. If there was another possible event in A Walk Across America to be defined as the climax what would it be and why? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Homer, the mountain man, and Peter choose to isolate themselves from society in different ways. Compare and contrast the isolation Peter and Homer put upon themselves in A Walk Across America. Cite examples from the book. Why do you think that Homer and Peter choose isolation over human companionship?
This section contains 1,601 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)