|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, the author begins to see signs. What are the signs for?
2. In Chapter 6, Peter is told he needs to meet Homer. Who tells him this?
3. How long do Peter and Cooper stay with Homer?
4. What is Peter shocked to NOT find in West Virginia?
5. In Chapter 8, Peter and Cooper find a place to stay. Where is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter meets many people on his trip. Sometimes people react to Peter in a bad way. Describe people's reactions to Peter and why they feel that way. Cite an example from Chapters 1-4.
2. In Chapter 4, what happens when Peter arrives in Washington, DC?
3. In Chapter 1, how does Peter feel about America? What does he decide to do? Why does he change his mind?
4. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
5. Describe Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer in Chapter 12.
6. Describe Peter and Scott's journey in Chapters 9 and 10.
7. How does Peter feel as the holidays approach in Chapter 9? How does he deal with these emotions?
8. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
9. List some hardships that Peter faces in Chapter 5.
10. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two cultural events occurring during Peter's journey, the Vietnam War and racial tension. Which event do you believe has the largest impact on Peter's journey and why? How would Peter's journey be different if this event was not happening? Use examples from the book to argue your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Peter reconnects with his family at different times during the journey. Describe Peter's relationship with Scott. How is it prior to his journey? What happens when Scott joins him on his trip? Do these events strengthen Peter and Scott's relationship or tear them apart? Do you think that seeing family on the trip benefited Peter? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Determine what you consider to be the climax of A Walk Across America. Describe the scene and use the definition of literary climax to argue that it is indeed the climax. If there was another possible event in A Walk Across America to be defined as the climax what would it be and why? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)