|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, where does Peter stay after leaving the sheriff's house?
2. In Chapter 12, what does the officer claim Peter is equal to?
3. At the end of Chapter 12, what is Peter doing when the special officer arrives?
4. In Chapter 4, Peter visits a place which will provide him equipment on his journey. What is this place?
5. In Chapter 3, who helps Peter with Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter meets many people on his trip. Sometimes people react to Peter in a bad way. Describe people's reactions to Peter and why they feel that way. Cite an example from Chapters 1-4.
2. In Chapter 4, what happens when Peter arrives in Washington, DC?
3. Describe Peter's life growing up.
4. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
5. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
6. Describe Peter's method for writing on his trip. How does Peter manage to not carry lots of writing supplies?
7. How does Peter attempt to fulfill himself prior to starting his journey?
8. List some hardships that Peter faces in Chapter 5.
9. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
10. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine what you consider to be the climax of A Walk Across America. Describe the scene and use the definition of literary climax to argue that it is indeed the climax. If there was another possible event in A Walk Across America to be defined as the climax what would it be and why? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Peter Jenkins writes A Walk Across America in the first-person narrative. Define first-person narrative versus third-person narrative. Would the book be better if written in the third person? What particular scenes would be better and why?
Essay Topic 3
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)