Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 5, where do Peter and Cooper heads toward?
2. Why is Peter surprised when he meets Homer?
3. Where are Peter and Cooper when Chapter 1 begins?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Peter promise his host before leaving?
5. In Chapter 3, who helps Peter with Cooper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the map that Peter provides in his book.
2. How does Peter meet the Oliver brothers in Chapter 13? What does Peter do with them?
3. In Chapter 9, Peter meets a woman at a diner. Describe their interaction.
4. Describe Peter's life growing up.
5. Describe the Oliver family home.
6. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
7. In Chapter 11, Peter falls ill. Describe the days he was ill.
8. What happens to Peter in the country store in Chapter 26?
9. In Chapter 13, Peter meets a sheriff. Describe their interaction.
10. What is Peter convinced he will find out on his journey?
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of political and social unrest at the time A Walk Across America takes place. How do outside events influence an author's writing? Is it necessary for a reader to have knowledge of the events that occur at the time a book is written? Why or why not? How would your reading of A Walk Across America change without the understanding of events occurring at the time of Peter's travels? Cite examples from the book and explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Through the course of his journey Peter meets many people. Describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most positive way. How do they change Peter for the better? Does Peter change that individual? What are the circumstances surrounding their meeting? Then describe the individual you believe impacts Peter in the most negative fashion. How do they change Peter for the worse? Does Peter change this individual? Support your opinion with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Generosity is something that Peter both experiences and practices while on his journey. Cite three examples of where acts of generosity occur in A Walk Across America. How do these acts change both the person who is acting generously and the person who is on the receiving end? Do you think that Peter began his journey as a generous person or did he learn to be generous through his journey? Explain your reasoning with examples from the book.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)