|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world event is occurring during the book?
2. In Chapter 10, a group of animals attack Peter, Scott, and Cooper. What type of animals are they?
3. What are Peter and Cooper woken up by in the morning at the end of Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 2, we learn Peter married while in College. Whom did he marry?
5. At the end of Chapter 5, Peter travels to a country store in what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's experience in Robbinsville, North Carolina?
2. In Chapter 7 Homer makes Peter an offer. What is the offer and what is Peter's reaction? Why does Peter react this way?
3. After Peter's interaction with the Special Bureau of Investigation officer what does he do?
4. Describe Peter's method for writing on his trip. How does Peter manage to not carry lots of writing supplies?
5. In Chapter 5, what is Peter's impression of West Virgina? What is he shocked to find?
6. Describe Cooper and how he came to live with Peter.
7. In Chapter 1, how does Peter feel about America? What does he decide to do? Why does he change his mind?
8. Peter meets many people on his trip. Sometimes people react to Peter in a bad way. Describe people's reactions to Peter and why they feel that way. Cite an example from Chapters 1-4.
9. What holiday is approaching in Chapter 5? How do Peter and Cooper celebrate?
10. Describe Peter's life while in college.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barbara ultimately decides to travel with Peter across the country. What made her decide to do so? Do you agree that she made the right choice? Why or why not? Use examples to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 2
There are numerous signs Peter searches for on his journey. What do you believe is the most important sign he receives and why? Do you believe that he missed any important signs that may have lead him in a different direction? Use examples from the book to help you with your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what you consider to be the climax of A Walk Across America. Describe the scene and use the definition of literary climax to argue that it is indeed the climax. If there was another possible event in A Walk Across America to be defined as the climax what would it be and why? Site examples from the text to prove your argument.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)