|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does the officer claim Peter is equal to?
(a) "A lazy nigger."
(b) A nasty human.
(c) The president.
(d) A good hearted Christian.
2. In Chapter 7, what does Peter's host offer him?
(a) A new car.
(b) To take over his property.
(c) Some clean clothes.
(d) A hundred dollars.
3. At the start of Chapter 5, where do Peter and Cooper heads toward?
(b) New York.
(d) The Appalachian Trail.
4. What world event is occurring during the book?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Cold War.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Gulf War.
5. Where are Peter and Cooper when Chapter 1 begins?
(a) At the ocean.
(b) In Peter's home in front of a fire.
(c) In a country store explaining their journey.
(d) On top of a moutain.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 12, what is Peter doing when the special officer arrives?
2. How is Homer described?
3. In Chapter 2, who challenges Peter to start his journey?
4. In Chapter 12, where does Peter stay after leaving the sheriff's house?
5. Why does the lady at the diner give Peter a free meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What holiday is approaching in Chapter 5? How do Peter and Cooper celebrate?
2. In Chapter 9, Peter meets a woman at a diner. Describe their interaction.
3. Who do you think paid for Peter's meal at the beginning of Chapter 27? Why do you think it is this person?
4. In Chapter 22 there is a terrible accident. Describe this event.
5. What is Peter's job like while living in Murphy?
6. What political events are occurring at the time of this book. How does this influence Peter's journey?
7. What is the significance of the diner experience Peter has at the end of Chapter 25.
8. Why is Peter torn between two destinations at the start of Chapter 23? Which state does he decide to go to?
9. Describe Peter and Scott's journey in Chapters 9 and 10.
10. What happens during Peter's meeting with Governor Wallace? How does Peter's opinion of Governor Wallace change?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)