|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does the oldest Oliver son tell the bootleggers?
(a) That he would like some alcohol.
(b) Where Peter is staying.
(c) If they lay a hand on Peter or Cooper the Oliver family will be ready.
(d) That Peter is a rat.
2. At the end of Chapter 23, what does Peter decide to try and do?
(a) To meet Govenor Wallace.
(b) Call home.
(c) To try catfish.
(d) To meet the president.
3. At the Farm Peter meets many people, why does Peter never meet Stephen Gaskin?
(a) Peter has no time to meet Stephen.
(b) No one can meet Stephen.
(c) Stephen is in jail.
(d) Stephen does not want to meet Peter.
4. Where does Peter meet. M.C.?
(a) In a store while buying clothes.
(b) In a bank while writing a check.
(c) In a country store while writing a postcard.
(d) In a restaurant while eating meatloaf.
5. At the end of Chapter 19, where is Peter headed?
(c) North Carolina.
(d) The Farm.
6. Why does M.C. startle Peter?
(a) He sneaks up behind him and shouts, "Boo!"
(b) M.C. looks like Peter's father.
(c) He is carrying a pistol.
(d) M.C. is a beautiful woman.
7. By the end of Chapter 22, who does Peter realize he may be searching for?
(a) His wife.
(b) His family.
(d) His long lost sister.
8. At the Farm Peter learns of Stephen Gaskin. Who is Stephen Gaskin?
(a) A man in a truck.
(b) The leader of the commune.
(c) They mayor of Murphy.
(d) A policeman.
9. Who attends the celebration at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Peter's family.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) Peter's roommate.
(d) The president.
10. In Chapter 19, Peter plans to travel to a location in Tennessee. How is this location described?
(a) A dry, desolate wasteland.
(b) A wintry mountain.
(c) A fun-loving state.
(d) A two-thousand-acre farm.
11. At the end of Chapter 25, Peter goes to a restaurant and meets a black man. Where did the black man send his children to school?
(a) His children did not go to school.
(b) His children went to public school.
(c) His children went to private school.
(d) His children went to school out of state.
12. When Mary Oliver receives word of the threat, what does she tell her sons to do?
(a) Gather all of the guns in the house.
(b) Run away.
(c) Do not talk to Peter.
(d) Hide in the basement.
13. Where have Peter and Cooper left at the start of Chapter 20?
(c) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
14. Why does Peter have the emotions he is feeling at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Because he is enjoying his trip.
(b) Because he is no longer poor.
(c) Because he is alone after being around family.
(d) Because he is sad his friend died.
15. As Peter is walking in Chapter 24, a pickup truck pulls over next to him. What does the driver of the truck yell at Peter?
(a) That Peter is a drug-dealing Yankee and that he will kill Peter.
(b) That Peter should watch out for hunters.
(c) That the road is closed.
(d) That Peter dropped his wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter feel about America at the end of Chapter 18?
2. What does Peter want from Governor Wallace?
3. At the end of Chapter 22 when Peter leaves the Farm, how does Peter feel?
4. After the white church is destroyed, where do the white people go to pray?
5. Who does Peter forgive at the end of Chapter 24?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)