|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While walking through the mountains Peter realizes something. What does he realize?
(a) That he won't discover America walking through the mountains. He needs to stick to the towns.
(b) That he left his wallet behind.
(c) That his journey is doomed for failure.
(d) That he should have carried more food.
2. In Chapter 7, what does Peter's host offer him?
(a) Some clean clothes.
(b) To take over his property.
(c) A hundred dollars.
(d) A new car.
3. What date does Peter start his journey?
(a) October, 1973.
(b) March, 1973.
(c) July, 1973.
(d) February, 1973.
4. In Chapter 12, where does Peter stay after leaving the sheriff's house?
(a) In his car.
(b) In a camp outside of town.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a hostel.
5. At the end of Chapter 12, how does Peter feel people perceive him?
(a) As a cranky old man.
(b) As a mean spirited person.
(c) As a drug dealing hippie.
(d) As a loveable guy.
6. Why does Peter's host make this offer?
(a) He thinks walking will take Peter too long.
(b) He wants Peter to eat.
(c) Peter's clothes were ruined in the avalanche.
(d) He feels he is old and going to die soon.
7. In Chapter 6, Peter is told he needs to meet Homer. Who tells him this?
(a) A hitchhiker.
(b) A postman.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) Some store patrons.
8. In Chapter 8, Peter and Cooper find a place to stay. Where is it?
(a) A school house.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A firehouse.
(d) A church.
9. In Chapter 5, Peter and Cooper meet their first big challenge. What is it?
(a) A broken limb.
(b) A thief.
(c) A Rattlesnake.
(d) A mountain.
10. In Chapter 11, what happens to Peter when Scott leaves?
(a) He becomes seriously ill.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He loses his way.
(d) He hunts a deer.
11. What historic event do we learn that Peter attended during his college years?
(b) The Tianamen Square protests.
12. What type of person is Homer?
(d) Kind and gentle.
13. In Chapter 4, Peter visits a place which will provide him equipment on his journey. What is this place?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A camping store.
(c) National Geographic.
(d) A grocery store.
14. Why is Peter surprised when he meets Homer?
(a) She is thirteen years old.
(b) She is an old woman.
(c) He is missing an arm.
(d) He is an old man.
15. What are Peter and Cooper woken up by in the morning at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Children arriving.
(b) Nurses changing shifts.
(c) Fire alarms.
(d) A singing choir.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, a group of animals attack Peter, Scott, and Cooper. What type of animals are they?
2. What sub-culture do people think Peter is a member of?
3. Why does Peter's family member decide to join him?
4. What world event is occurring during the book?
5. In Chapter 7, What does Peter's host want to find out?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)