|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the lady at the diner give Peter a free meal?
(a) She wants him to know the same hospitality her brother felt.
(b) He asks for it.
(c) She pities him.
(d) She thinks he is handsome.
2. Who joins Peter and Cooper on their journey in Chapter 9?
(a) His mother.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
3. What is the book A Walk Across America about?
(a) The reuniting of a family.
(b) A man's journey across America and what he learns.
(c) A story of a woman who battles the elements across America.
(d) The travels of a dog who ran away from home.
4. In Chapter 4, who comes to see Peter off on his journey?
(a) His child.
(b) His wife.
(c) His students.
(d) His family.
5. In Chapter 3, who helps Peter with Cooper?
(a) A sales clerk.
(b) A priest.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A man in a truck.
6. Why does the sheriff ask Peter to leave?
(a) Peter steals from him.
(b) Peter is rude to the sheriff's family.
(c) The sheriff's wife is allergic to dogs.
(d) The townspeople threaten to fire the sheriff.
7. Why does Peter's host make this offer?
(a) He wants Peter to eat.
(b) He feels he is old and going to die soon.
(c) He thinks walking will take Peter too long.
(d) Peter's clothes were ruined in the avalanche.
8. What city do Peter and Cooper arrive in at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Washington, DC.
(b) Portland, Maine.
(c) Hartford, Connecticut .
(d) New York, New York.
9. Who joins Peter on his trip?
(a) No one. He travels alone.
(b) His dog.
(c) His father.
(d) His childhood friend.
10. In Chapter 10, a group of animals attack Peter, Scott, and Cooper. What type of animals are they?
(d) Mountain Lions.
11. What is Peter's first reaction upon encountering the challenge in Chapter 5?
(a) To call home.
(b) To cry.
(c) To give up.
(d) To keep going.
12. In Chapter 6, Peter is told he needs to meet Homer. Who tells him this?
(a) Some store patrons.
(b) A postman.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) A hitchhiker.
13. What exciting event occurs at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) An avalanche.
(c) Peter awakes and finds himself all alone.
(d) Peter's host threatens to kill him.
14. What does the officer threaten to do to Peter?
(a) Ban Peter from town.
(b) Hang Peter from a tree.
(c) Shoot Peter.
(d) Return Peter to Washington DC.
15. In Chapter 12, why does Peter call his parents?
(a) To disown them.
(b) To ask for more clothes.
(c) To tell them he loves them.
(d) To ask for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world event is occurring during the book?
2. What does the special officer think Peter's profession is?
3. Why does Peter feel depressed in Chapter 9?
4. What event does the individual miss because he helps Peter and Cooper?
5. Why does Peter's family member decide to join him?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)