|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object mentioned in Poem 8 contains the roots of the sunflowers?
2. What materials are used to make the chairs in Poem 15?
3. Which character weaves weather on a loom in Poem 9?
4. Which characters mentioned in Poem 8 are tired of traveling?
5. What is the instrument played by the Marmalade Man in Poem 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would the lion lie down beside a bear, rabbit, sheep, and bird in Poem 14?
2. What does the poetic form of Poem 8 achieve?
3. What do the sunflowers want in Poem 8?
4. How is the experience different for the rabbit compared to the cat in Poem 10?
5. When the rabbit requests that everyone make way, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
6. What characters do the sunflowers move along with in Poem 8?
7. Describe the significance of the final scene in the Epilogue.
8. Why is the fire contained in Poem 11?
9. What is special about the dance of the Marmalade Man in Poem 12?
10. What is unusual about the tailor's house in Poem 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the poetic form rime couye reveal the fantasy of the unfolding journey, working with the lights and noise of the physical experience of the Sun and Moon's arrival?
Essay Topic 2
The Rabbit and the Tiger are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that the rabbit had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Tiger had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are numerous instances of symbolism. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) Provide 3 examples of symbolism in the building of the tailor's house. What do these symbols mean?
2) There are numerous references to the Bible and an ongoing discussion of good versus evil. What are some overt examples?
3) What is the possibility that opens up to the tailor and the Tiger, that helps them overcome their wrongdoings?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)