|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 11, who is the character that William Blake compliments?
2. Which object mentioned in Poem 8 is far away and yellow and orange like the sunflowers?
3. In Poem 8, what is the object that the sunflowers track the movement of?
4. What happens in Poem 12 when the fighting ends?
5. Which character mentioned in Poem 10 receives silver stars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the experience different for the rabbit compared to the cat in Poem 10?
2. When the rabbit requests that everyone make way, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
3. What are the rewards offered in Poem 12?
4. Describe tasks the King of Cats gives his wife in Poem 13.
5. How is the experience different for the tiger compared to the boy in Poem 10?
6. What is so special about the walk on the Milky Way described in Poem 10?
7. Why is the fire contained in Poem 11?
8. What are some of the unusual and magical gifts the King of Cats sends his friends in Poem 13?
9. Why would the lion lie down beside a bear, rabbit, sheep, and bird in Poem 14?
10. What is unusual about the tailor's house in Poem 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blake constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing occurs throughout the series of poems, usually indicating the next journey or the arrival of new characters. Give 3 examples and show they describe events or characters that will soon appear.
Essay Topic 3
As a metaphorical character, the Man in the Marmalade Hat is quite appealing. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some actions or behaviors that he performs that are of greater significance?
2) How does he appeal to the other characters? What emotions does he evoke in them?
3) How does the Man in the Marmalade Hat reveal that he is a peacemaker?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)