|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character mentioned in Poem 9 will guide the travelers on their voyage?
2. Which character mentioned in Poem 14 has been stealing?
3. Which character mentioned in Poem 9 is literal?
4. Which character says farewell in Poem 16?
5. What materials are used to make the chairs in Poem 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of the final scene in the Epilogue.
2. Why would the lion lie down beside a bear, rabbit, sheep, and bird in Poem 14?
3. What is the lesson contained in Poem 15?
4. What does William Blake do after the sunflowers make their request in Poem 8?
5. How is the experience different for the rabbit compared to the cat in Poem 10?
6. What do the sunflowers want in Poem 8?
7. What is a big difference between the rabbit and the cow in Poem 9?
8. What is so special about the walk on the Milky Way described in Poem 10?
9. What is unusual about the tailor's house in Poem 15?
10. What does Blake say to the fire in Poem 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character that the boy initially fears but then grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 2
As a metaphorical character, the Man in the Marmalade Hat is quite appealing. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some actions or behaviors that he performs that are of greater significance?
2) How does he appeal to the other characters? What emotions does he evoke in them?
3) How does the Man in the Marmalade Hat reveal that he is a peacemaker?
Essay Topic 3
The Marmalade Man motivates the other characters to make amends, become friends again, and to dance.
Part 1) The Marmalade Man is similar to the Pied Piper in getting people to follow him when he plays the flute. How is he different? What is his goal?
Part 2) What would happen if the Marmalade Man did not exist? Show how his presence has a direct and good influence on the characters.
Part 3) When the Marmalade Man calls himself a needle, he symbolically is leading the people. How is his leadership different from that of the Rabbit?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)