|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which animals does the tiger feel he must sleep by in Poem 14?
2. What is the symbol for someone who leads in Poem 12?
3. Which characters mentioned in Poem 16 are bakers?
4. Which character mentioned in Poem 9 is literal?
5. What is the rare rhythmic form employed in Poem 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rewards offered in Poem 12?
2. What does Blake say to the fire in Poem 10?
3. What is the lesson contained in Poem 15?
4. Describe the significance of the final scene in the Epilogue.
5. What is a big difference between the rabbit and the cow in Poem 9?
6. When the rabbit requests that everyone make room, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
7. When the rabbit requests that everyone make believe, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
8. What do the sunflowers want in Poem 8?
9. How is the experience different for the tiger compared to the boy in Poem 10?
10. What are some of the unusual and magical gifts the King of Cats sends his friends in Poem 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of making amends and forgiveness for wrongdoing that is illustrated in Poem 15, "Blake Tells the Tiger the Tale of the Tailor." What has the Tiger done that requires forgiveness? How does Blake explain the tailor's experience?
Essay Topic 2
The King of Cats offers special presents to his friends that reveal his imaginative nature and how he has stepped from the practical to the magical world. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some examples of gifts he offers? By offering these gifts, what does the King of Cats reveal about himself?
2) How does the King of Cats change from being practical to increasingly mystical in the poem? How does this parallel his relationship with William Blake?
3) The King of Cats also appears more generous and imaginative in his writing. Show 3 examples of this change.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that the boy initially fears but then grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)