|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By making believe in Poem 9, what can people do?
2. What is the gift that the King of Cats sends to the cat who winds the clocks in Poem 13?
3. During Poem 10, what does staying awake symbolize?
4. To which character does the King of Cats sends the shadows of a dozen mice in Poem 13?
5. Which character notices that stars are falling in Poem 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about the dance of the Marmalade Man in Poem 12?
2. Why is the fire contained in Poem 11?
3. What does the poetic form of Poem 8 achieve?
4. What does Blake say to the fire in Poem 10?
5. What is unusual about the tailor's house in Poem 15?
6. How is the experience different for the tiger compared to the boy in Poem 10?
7. What is a big difference between the rabbit and the cow in Poem 9?
8. What is so special about the walk on the Milky Way described in Poem 10?
9. Why does Blake give the rat iron boots to wear in Poem 10?
10. What does William Blake do after the sunflowers make their request in Poem 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, there are numerous instances of symbolism. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) Provide 3 examples of symbolism in the building of the tailor's house. What do these symbols mean?
2) There are numerous references to the Bible and an ongoing discussion of good versus evil. What are some overt examples?
3) What is the possibility that opens up to the tailor and the Tiger, that helps them overcome their wrongdoings?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the carpet to the Sunflowers? How do the Sunflowers reveal their personalities to Blake?
Essay Topic 3
The Marmalade Man motivates the other characters to make amends, become friends again, and to dance.
Part 1) The Marmalade Man is similar to the Pied Piper in getting people to follow him when he plays the flute. How is he different? What is his goal?
Part 2) What would happen if the Marmalade Man did not exist? Show how his presence has a direct and good influence on the characters.
Part 3) When the Marmalade Man calls himself a needle, he symbolically is leading the people. How is his leadership different from that of the Rabbit?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)