|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rhythmic form of Poem 15?
2. Which character mentioned in Poem 9 loves puns?
3. Which character in Poem 10 gives out rewards?
4. Which character receives emerald green boots in Poem 10?
5. By making believe in Poem 9, what can people do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is so special about the walk on the Milky Way described in Poem 10?
2. When the rabbit requests that everyone make room, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
3. Why does the tiger confess in Poem 14?
4. What do the sunflowers want in Poem 8?
5. What characters do the sunflowers move along with in Poem 8?
6. Why would the lion lie down beside a bear, rabbit, sheep, and bird in Poem 14?
7. When the rabbit requests that everyone make way, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
8. What does William Blake do after the sunflowers make their request in Poem 8?
9. How is the experience different for the rabbit compared to the cat in Poem 10?
10. What are some of the unusual and magical gifts the King of Cats sends his friends in Poem 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the carpet to the Sunflowers? How do the Sunflowers reveal their personalities to Blake?
Essay Topic 2
Both the Marmalade Man are the King of Cats are important characters.
Part 1) Compare the Marmalade Man to the King of Cats. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What metaphorical purpose does the Marmalade Man offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) The Marmalade Man offers to clean the inn. What symbolism is inherent in this act and how does it reveal that the journey is a spiritual one?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between the Rabbit and the Cow becomes apparent in one poem.
Part 1) Compare and contrast how each character responds to the different expressions of "make way, room, and believe."
Part 2) Why is the Rabbit concerned about the Marmalade Man and what role does the Rabbit play in leading the travelers?
Part 3) How does the poetic form aid and abet in the play on words?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)