|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What household matters does the King of Cats asks his wife about in Poem 13?
2. What does the cow think "believe" will turn out to be in Poem 9?
3. What is the rhyme form of Poem 11?
4. By making believe in Poem 9, what can people do?
5. In the epigraph of Poem 16, what is the reader reminded to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson contained in Poem 15?
2. What are the rewards offered in Poem 12?
3. What is a big difference between the rabbit and the cow in Poem 9?
4. What characters do the sunflowers move along with in Poem 8?
5. When the rabbit requests that everyone make room, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
6. What do the sunflowers want in Poem 8?
7. What does Blake say to the fire in Poem 10?
8. When the rabbit requests that everyone make way, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
9. What does the poetic form of Poem 8 achieve?
10. What are some of the unusual and magical gifts the King of Cats sends his friends in Poem 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The King of Cats offers special presents to his friends that reveal his imaginative nature and how he has stepped from the practical to the magical world. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some examples of gifts he offers? By offering these gifts, what does the King of Cats reveal about himself?
2) How does the King of Cats change from being practical to increasingly mystical in the poem? How does this parallel his relationship with William Blake?
3) The King of Cats also appears more generous and imaginative in his writing. Show 3 examples of this change.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the Rabbit and the Cow becomes apparent in one poem.
Part 1) Compare and contrast how each character responds to the different expressions of "make way, room, and believe."
Part 2) Why is the Rabbit concerned about the Marmalade Man and what role does the Rabbit play in leading the travelers?
Part 3) How does the poetic form aid and abet in the play on words?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that the boy initially fears but then grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)