|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only area that stays warm despite the cold wind in Poem 11?
2. Through what does the Marmalade Man asks the other characters to follow him in Poem 12?
3. Which character in Poem 10 gives out rewards?
4. Which character mentioned in Poem 14 has a childlike faith?
5. Which character mentioned in Poem 9 might take a nap like a field mouse in hay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the tailor's house in Poem 15?
2. Why would the lion lie down beside a bear, rabbit, sheep, and bird in Poem 14?
3. What are some of the unusual and magical gifts the King of Cats sends his friends in Poem 13?
4. What does Blake urge his readers to do in the Epilogue?
5. Describe the significance of the final scene in the Epilogue.
6. What does Blake say to the fire in Poem 10?
7. How is the experience different for the rabbit compared to the cat in Poem 10?
8. What is a big difference between the rabbit and the cow in Poem 9?
9. When the rabbit requests that everyone make believe, what does the cow do in Poem 9?
10. What does William Blake do after the sunflowers make their request in Poem 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The journey along the Milky Way is symbolic of inner personal growth. Give 3 examples of change that characters experience along this trip.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the Rabbit and the Cow becomes apparent in one poem.
Part 1) Compare and contrast how each character responds to the different expressions of "make way, room, and believe."
Part 2) Why is the Rabbit concerned about the Marmalade Man and what role does the Rabbit play in leading the travelers?
Part 3) How does the poetic form aid and abet in the play on words?
Essay Topic 3
Both the Marmalade Man are the King of Cats are important characters.
Part 1) Compare the Marmalade Man to the King of Cats. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What metaphorical purpose does the Marmalade Man offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) The Marmalade Man offers to clean the inn. What symbolism is inherent in this act and how does it reveal that the journey is a spiritual one?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)