|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which object mentioned in Poem 2 obligingly shrinks flat?
2. What object lies at the top of the tower in Poem 6?
3. What is the object that the cow slept on in Poem 7?
4. How many couplets exist in Poem 7?
5. What is the emotion created during Poem 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of form does Poem 1 have?
2. Describe how the cow makes the cloud into a bed in Poem 7.
3. Why does Blake enjoy the company of the Man in the Marmalade Hat in Poem 5?
4. What does Blake do during Poem 2?
5. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
6. What special features does the car described in Poem 2 have on the outside?
7. What is special about the poetic form employed in Poem 4?
8. Describe the Man in the Marmalade Hat mentioned in Poem 5.
9. Why are the tiger and boy afraid in Poem 4?
10. What does Poem 7 achieve for the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The journey along the Milky Way is symbolic of inner personal growth. Give 3 examples of change that characters experience along this trip.
Essay Topic 2
How does the poetic form rime couye reveal the fantasy of the unfolding journey, working with the lights and noise of the physical experience of the Sun and Moon's arrival?
Essay Topic 3
The Marmalade Man motivates the other characters to make amends, become friends again, and to dance.
Part 1) The Marmalade Man is similar to the Pied Piper in getting people to follow him when he plays the flute. How is he different? What is his goal?
Part 2) What would happen if the Marmalade Man did not exist? Show how his presence has a direct and good influence on the characters.
Part 3) When the Marmalade Man calls himself a needle, he symbolically is leading the people. How is his leadership different from that of the Rabbit?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)