|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character wakes up during Poem 4 and wants to know what the rumbling sound is?
2. What are the two objects that the Man in the Marmalade Hat carries in Poem 5?
3. What does the boy find instead of a bed in Poem 3?
4. Which character in the Introduction had measles at seven?
5. In the Introduction, who explains how the book was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the little children do when the Man in the Marmalade Hat arrives in Poem 5?
2. What special features does the car described in Poem 2 have on the outside?
3. Describe an unusual event that also happens during the night in Poem 4.
4. Describe how the cow makes the cloud into a bed in Poem 7.
5. Why does Blake enjoy the company of the Man in the Marmalade Hat in Poem 5?
6. Why does the man in the marmalade hat bring the bottle of starch in Poem 5?
7. What does Nancy think about when she stares at the glowing stars on her ceiling?
8. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
9. What are the dangers outside the inn mentioned in Poem 3?
10. What magical things happen during Poem 2 when the traveler enters the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Rabbit and the Cow becomes apparent in one poem.
Part 1) Compare and contrast how each character responds to the different expressions of "make way, room, and believe."
Part 2) Why is the Rabbit concerned about the Marmalade Man and what role does the Rabbit play in leading the travelers?
Part 3) How does the poetic form aid and abet in the play on words?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect the boy in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of the boy versus the Rat?
Part 2) Describe the boy's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from his arrival. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The journey along the Milky Way is symbolic of inner personal growth. Give 3 examples of change that characters experience along this trip.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)