|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is still snoozing during all the activity of Poem 5?
2. Which character possibly jumped over the moon during Poem 7?
3. What are the two objects that the Man in the Marmalade Hat carries in Poem 5?
4. Which character in the Introduction is Nancy curious about?
5. Which character mentioned during the Introduction died two hundred years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the inscription in the book of poems mentioned in the Introduction?
2. What special features does the car described in Poem 2 have on the outside?
3. Why does the man in the marmalade hat bring the bottle of starch in Poem 5?
4. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
5. What aspect of the Frontispiece's story appears out of this world?
6. What is different about the dragons?
7. Describe how the cow makes the cloud into a bed in Poem 7.
8. Describe the Man in the Marmalade Hat mentioned in Poem 5.
9. What does Poem 7 achieve for the reader?
10. Who does the King of Cats compare himself to in Poem 6 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect the boy in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of the boy versus the Rat?
Part 2) Describe the boy's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from his arrival. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Blake constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of making amends and forgiveness for wrongdoing that is illustrated in Poem 15, "Blake Tells the Tiger the Tale of the Tailor." What has the Tiger done that requires forgiveness? How does Blake explain the tailor's experience?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)