|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which object mentioned in Poem 2 obligingly shrinks flat?
2. What does the illustration for Poem 1 contain?
3. What is the object mentioned in Poem 7 that shines from above?
4. Which character is still snoozing during all the activity of Poem 5?
5. In the Frontispiece, which character asks if the others will come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Nancy and Miss Pratt?
2. What do the little children do when the Man in the Marmalade Hat arrives in Poem 5?
3. What is the inscription in the book of poems mentioned in the Introduction?
4. What does Poem 7 achieve for the reader?
5. Describe the driver mentioned in Poem 2.
6. Why are the tiger and boy afraid in Poem 4?
7. What is special about the poetic form employed in Poem 4?
8. What does Blake do during Poem 2?
9. What does the scene for the meal in Poem 6 consist of and where does it take place?
10. What is the surprising contrast in the character of the rabbit that Poem 4 reveals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The King of Cats offers special presents to his friends that reveal his imaginative nature and how he has stepped from the practical to the magical world. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some examples of gifts he offers? By offering these gifts, what does the King of Cats reveal about himself?
2) How does the King of Cats change from being practical to increasingly mystical in the poem? How does this parallel his relationship with William Blake?
3) The King of Cats also appears more generous and imaginative in his writing. Show 3 examples of this change.
Essay Topic 2
Certain relationships create a good foundation for the story. When Nancy asks her babysitter to tell her a bedtime story, they both interact in a very convincing manner. Describe why this relationship is believable.
Essay Topic 3
As a metaphorical character, the Man in the Marmalade Hat is quite appealing. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some actions or behaviors that he performs that are of greater significance?
2) How does he appeal to the other characters? What emotions does he evoke in them?
3) How does the Man in the Marmalade Hat reveal that he is a peacemaker?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)