|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object lies at the top of the tower in Poem 6?
2. Which two characters mentioned in Poem 4 are dancing and singing?
3. What is the poetic form of Poem 3?
4. Which object mentioned in Poem 2 obligingly shrinks flat?
5. What is Blake's role in the illustration for Poem 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of journey does the boy embark upon in the Frontispiece?
2. Describe the little boy's appearance in the Frontispiece.
3. What do the little children do when the Man in the Marmalade Hat arrives in Poem 5?
4. What aspect of the Frontispiece's story appears out of this world?
5. What is the surprising contrast in the character of the rabbit that Poem 4 reveals?
6. Describe the Man in the Marmalade Hat mentioned in Poem 5.
7. What is the inscription in the book of poems mentioned in the Introduction?
8. What magical things happen during Poem 2 when the traveler enters the car?
9. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
10. What is below the cow in the sky in Poem 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blake constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with strength. Give 3 examples of how strength is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the carpet to the Sunflowers? How do the Sunflowers reveal their personalities to Blake?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are numerous instances of symbolism. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) Provide 3 examples of symbolism in the building of the tailor's house. What do these symbols mean?
2) There are numerous references to the Bible and an ongoing discussion of good versus evil. What are some overt examples?
3) What is the possibility that opens up to the tailor and the Tiger, that helps them overcome their wrongdoings?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)