|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the poetic form of Poem 1, "William Blake's Inn for Innocent and Experienced Travelers?"
2. Which object mentioned in Poem 2 obligingly shrinks flat?
3. In Poem 6, what does the main character's breakfast consist of?
4. Who is the main character?
5. What is the poetic form of Poem 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What magical things happen during Poem 2 when the traveler enters the car?
2. What is below the cow in the sky in Poem 7?
3. Describe an unusual event that also happens during the night in Poem 4.
4. What aspect of the Frontispiece's story appears out of this world?
5. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
6. Is the boy comforted during Poem 3?
7. What is the inscription in the book of poems mentioned in the Introduction?
8. What are the dangers outside the inn mentioned in Poem 3?
9. Describe the little boy's appearance in the Frontispiece.
10. What does Blake do during Poem 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, there are numerous instances of symbolism. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) Provide 3 examples of symbolism in the building of the tailor's house. What do these symbols mean?
2) There are numerous references to the Bible and an ongoing discussion of good versus evil. What are some overt examples?
3) What is the possibility that opens up to the tailor and the Tiger, that helps them overcome their wrongdoings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of making amends and forgiveness for wrongdoing that is illustrated in Poem 15, "Blake Tells the Tiger the Tale of the Tailor." What has the Tiger done that requires forgiveness? How does Blake explain the tailor's experience?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short essay analyzing the different emotional changes of 3 characters, looking at similar events and how they impact each of them quite differently.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)