|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character smiles in the sky in Poem 6?
2. Which character is still snoozing during all the activity of Poem 5?
3. In Poem 6, what does the main character's breakfast consist of?
4. Who does Nancy believe sent The Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience?
5. Who are the characters that appear in the third stanza of Poem 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room mentioned in Poem 3.
2. Describe the Man in the Marmalade Hat mentioned in Poem 5.
3. Why is the inn so appealing to travelers?
4. Why would the lion lie down beside a bear, rabbit, sheep, and bird in Poem 14?
5. What is unusual about the tailor's house in Poem 15?
6. Describe the driver mentioned in Poem 2.
7. What is the inscription in the book of poems mentioned in the Introduction?
8. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
9. Why does Blake enjoy the company of the Man in the Marmalade Hat in Poem 5?
10. What characters do the sunflowers move along with in Poem 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both the Marmalade Man are the King of Cats are important characters.
Part 1) Compare the Marmalade Man to the King of Cats. How are these two characters similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What metaphorical purpose does the Marmalade Man offer? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) The Marmalade Man offers to clean the inn. What symbolism is inherent in this act and how does it reveal that the journey is a spiritual one?
Essay Topic 2
How does the poetic form rime couye reveal the fantasy of the unfolding journey, working with the lights and noise of the physical experience of the Sun and Moon's arrival?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the gifts William Blake gives each of the travelers who accompany him to the Milky Way. Explain what each character does and what the gift represents.
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)