|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How wide does the carriage mentioned in Poem 2 become?
2. In Poem 3, who should the boy be kept safe from?
3. What is Nancy Willard's role that gives her insight into the poetic form of Poem 1?
4. What object in Poem 7 was eaten with butter?
5. Which two characters mentioned in Poem 4 are dancing and singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an unusual event that also happens during the night in Poem 4.
2. What is different about the dragons?
3. Why are the tiger and boy afraid in Poem 4?
4. What is the surprising contrast in the character of the rabbit that Poem 4 reveals?
5. Why is the inn so appealing to travelers?
6. What is special about the poetic form employed in Poem 4?
7. What does Poem 7 achieve for the reader?
8. Describe the little boy's appearance in the Frontispiece.
9. What is below the cow in the sky in Poem 7?
10. Describe the Man in the Marmalade Hat mentioned in Poem 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short essay analyzing the different emotional changes of 3 characters, looking at similar events and how they impact each of them quite differently.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that the boy initially fears but then grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect the boy in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of the boy versus the Rat?
Part 2) Describe the boy's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from his arrival. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)