|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the emotion created during Poem 7?
2. Which character mentioned in Poem 5 wears dancing shoes?
3. Which character mentioned in Poem 7 asks the cow how it slept?
4. Who does Nancy believe sent The Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience?
5. The Frontispiece creates this tone for the remaining poems.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is below the cow in the sky in Poem 7?
2. What does Nancy think about when she stares at the glowing stars on her ceiling?
3. What does the scene for the meal in Poem 6 consist of and where does it take place?
4. Why is the inn so appealing to travelers?
5. Describe Nancy Willard as a child.
6. Describe how the cow makes the cloud into a bed in Poem 7.
7. What happens outside the inn when it snows?
8. What does Poem 7 achieve for the reader?
9. Who does the King of Cats compare himself to in Poem 6 and why?
10. What is special about the poetic form employed in Poem 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The King of Cats offers special presents to his friends that reveal his imaginative nature and how he has stepped from the practical to the magical world. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some examples of gifts he offers? By offering these gifts, what does the King of Cats reveal about himself?
2) How does the King of Cats change from being practical to increasingly mystical in the poem? How does this parallel his relationship with William Blake?
3) The King of Cats also appears more generous and imaginative in his writing. Show 3 examples of this change.
Essay Topic 2
How does the poetic form rime couye reveal the fantasy of the unfolding journey, working with the lights and noise of the physical experience of the Sun and Moon's arrival?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, there are numerous instances of symbolism. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) Provide 3 examples of symbolism in the building of the tailor's house. What do these symbols mean?
2) There are numerous references to the Bible and an ongoing discussion of good versus evil. What are some overt examples?
3) What is the possibility that opens up to the tailor and the Tiger, that helps them overcome their wrongdoings?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)