|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Frontispiece, which character says they are already there?
2. Which object is always present in Poem 7?
3. What object in Poem 7 was eaten with butter?
4. What is the destination of the exciting journey involving fantasy characters in the Introduction?
5. Which character calls everyone "my loves" in Poem 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blake do during Poem 2?
2. What does the scene for the meal in Poem 6 consist of and where does it take place?
3. What characters do the sunflowers move along with in Poem 8?
4. Is the boy comforted during Poem 3?
5. What is the lesson contained in Poem 15?
6. Why does the tiger confess in Poem 14?
7. What is special about the poetic form employed in Poem 4?
8. What is the surprising contrast in the character of the rabbit that Poem 4 reveals?
9. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
10. Describe Nancy Willard as a child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of making amends and forgiveness for wrongdoing that is illustrated in Poem 15, "Blake Tells the Tiger the Tale of the Tailor." What has the Tiger done that requires forgiveness? How does Blake explain the tailor's experience?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect the boy in particular?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of the boy versus the Rat?
Part 2) Describe the boy's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from his arrival. What new friends has he made? What fears has he conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the carpet to the Sunflowers? How do the Sunflowers reveal their personalities to Blake?
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)