|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy request during Poem 3?
2. Which character wakes up during Poem 4 and wants to know what the rumbling sound is?
3. In Poem 3, who should the boy be kept safe from?
4. Who is the character outside the inn mentioned in Poem 3 that the bear warns about?
5. Which character mentioned in Poem 7 stands on gossamer white clouds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the man in the marmalade hat bring the bottle of starch in Poem 5?
2. What do the little children do when the Man in the Marmalade Hat arrives in Poem 5?
3. Is the boy comforted during Poem 3?
4. What is below the cow in the sky in Poem 7?
5. What is different about the dragons?
6. What is the surprising contrast in the character of the rabbit that Poem 4 reveals?
7. What happens outside the inn when it snows?
8. Why does Blake enjoy the company of the Man in the Marmalade Hat in Poem 5?
9. How does the bear comfort the boy in Poem 3?
10. What aspect of the Frontispiece's story appears out of this world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the carpet to the Sunflowers? How do the Sunflowers reveal their personalities to Blake?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between the Rabbit and the Cow becomes apparent in one poem.
Part 1) Compare and contrast how each character responds to the different expressions of "make way, room, and believe."
Part 2) Why is the Rabbit concerned about the Marmalade Man and what role does the Rabbit play in leading the travelers?
Part 3) How does the poetic form aid and abet in the play on words?
Essay Topic 3
As a metaphorical character, the Man in the Marmalade Hat is quite appealing. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some actions or behaviors that he performs that are of greater significance?
2) How does he appeal to the other characters? What emotions does he evoke in them?
3) How does the Man in the Marmalade Hat reveal that he is a peacemaker?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)