|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Poem 1, what actions are the dragons responsible for?
2. Which characters mentioned during Poem 6 sleep in the upper regions of the house?
3. What kind of a journey is the traveler embarking upon?
4. What is pasted on the ceiling of the room mentioned in the Introduction?
5. Which character in the Introduction had measles at seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an unusual event that also happens during the night in Poem 4.
2. What are the dangers outside the inn mentioned in Poem 3?
3. What kind of journey does the boy embark upon in the Frontispiece?
4. Describe the driver mentioned in Poem 2.
5. What aspect of the Frontispiece's story appears out of this world?
6. What does the Frontispiece accomplish?
7. What happens outside the inn when it snows?
8. What is the Basilisk mentioned in Poem 6?
9. What do the little children do when the Man in the Marmalade Hat arrives in Poem 5?
10. Why is the inn so appealing to travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a metaphorical character, the Man in the Marmalade Hat is quite appealing. Choose one of the 3 options below to write about.
1) What are some actions or behaviors that he performs that are of greater significance?
2) How does he appeal to the other characters? What emotions does he evoke in them?
3) How does the Man in the Marmalade Hat reveal that he is a peacemaker?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing occurs throughout the series of poems, usually indicating the next journey or the arrival of new characters. Give 3 examples and show they describe events or characters that will soon appear.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the gifts William Blake gives each of the travelers who accompany him to the Milky Way. Explain what each character does and what the gift represents.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)