|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the author's brother?
2. What word does the coach use to describe Drew's type?
3. Jules signs on to be a ____.
4. One song bears the name of this woman:
5. What temperature is the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of the material included in the Power Point slide titled "In the Desert."
2. Give an example of the material included in the Power Point slide titled "After Lincoln's Game."
3. What has happened to Sasha since she has been gone?
4. What happens after the interview ends?
5. What do Stephanie and Bennie do to fit in?
6. Give an example of the material included in the Power Point slide titled "In My Room."
7. What is the first disaster encountered by Dolly in this new job?
8. Explain the scene at Lizzie's apartment.
9. Where does Ted's interest lie while he is in Europe?
10. What is the purpose of Ted Hollander's trip to Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Egan's use of San Francisco for the setting in the story. Why do you think Egan chose San Francisco? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than San Francisco? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write your own story based on at least two characters in "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan. Use Sasha or Bennie as the lead character. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, synopsis, etc. Explain your inspiration.
Essay Topic 3
The music business is one of the main themes in Jennifer Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad. Bennie is the first person to show real interest in the music business. While many high school kids are in bands and are absorbed by the music scene, Bennie Salazar seems to be interested in everything from the music itself to how it is recorded, produced and promoted. This interest leads Bennie into a life long career in the music business with all of its changes, ups and downs. Examine Bennie's career in the music business including the stint with the Flaming Dildos, work at Revolver Records and his involvement with Lou Kline.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)