|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Sasha dumped by her drummer boyfriend?
2. What is Stephanie's occupation?
3. Rob one day hopes to hope which office?
4. What is the name of Kitty's new movie?
5. Who is the author's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first disaster encountered by Dolly in this new job?
2. What technique does Jules use to try to get Kitty to open up?
3. What is Dolly's plan for the general? What happens?
4. What does Jules say about the fact that he likes to talk about himself more than his subject?
5. Who is La Doll? What caused her fall from grace?
6. Who is Bosco? Why is the washed up musician important to Steph and Bennie?
7. What do Stephanie and Bennie do to fit in?
8. Give an example of the material included in the Power Point slide titled "One Night Later."
9. Who offers Dolly a job that could spare her from further financial ruin?
10. How does Sasha explain her past to Rob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Sasha and Bennie. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their relationship? How might Bennie's confession affect the relationship? Why do you think Sasha stays on at Sow's Ear? What might happen to the Bennie if Sasha left? How will it affect the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The music business is one of the main themes in Jennifer Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad. Bennie is the first person to show real interest in the music business. While many high school kids are in bands and are absorbed by the music scene, Bennie Salazar seems to be interested in everything from the music itself to how it is recorded, produced and promoted. This interest leads Bennie into a life long career in the music business with all of its changes, ups and downs. Examine Bennie's career in the music business including the stint with the Flaming Dildos, work at Revolver Records and his involvement with Lou Kline.
Essay Topic 3
Redemption is one of the main themes in the story. Each of the characters seems to go through a dark period. This is especially true of Sasha, whose entire background is revealed in various chapters. Sasha was a run away, did drugs, had many injuries and a rough life on the streets or in run down places all over the world, including Naples. Jocelyn may have the darkest past of all. Jocelyn fell into a bad lifestyle at a young age and spent her life from then on in and out of drug rehab and having bad experiences. Discuss redemption and how it applies to Sasha, Jocelyn, and Bennie. Explain in detail how and why each character felt the need to be redeemed.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)