|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sasha's apartment located?
2. How old are Jocelyn and Rhea?
3. How many times has Lou been married?
4. Which of the following is not an item in Alex's wallet?
5. What disease killed Jocelyn's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the visit to Lou's house?
2. How does Mindy relate her theories to Charlie and Rolph?
3. What happens as Jocelyn reflects on her past experiences with Lou and Rolph?
4. How does the woman with the stolen wallet react upon learning that her wallet is gone?
5. Discuss the gig at the Mab. Who is present? How does the gig turn out?
6. How does Sasha react to the woman's pleas? What happens next?
7. How does Lou explain women to young Rolph?
8. What event occurs in the bathroom of the Lassimo Hotel?
9. What does Rhea say about the group's band? Who are they?
10. What is Scotty doing in the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The music business is one of the main themes in Jennifer Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad. Bennie is the first person to show real interest in the music business. While many high school kids are in bands and are absorbed by the music scene, Bennie Salazar seems to be interested in everything from the music itself to how it is recorded, produced and promoted. This interest leads Bennie into a life long career in the music business with all of its changes, ups and downs. Examine Bennie's career in the music business including the stint with the Flaming Dildos, work at Revolver Records and his involvement with Lou Kline.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses flashbacks as a way to give a background to many of the characters. Examine the use of flashback and your opinion on its effectiveness. Give at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Bennie and Scotty. What is the common ground for friendship? How do their professional lives often interfere with their personal relationship? How does one know when a boundary has been crossed? Do the friends respect each other? How has their relationship changed/evolved over the past twenty years? Where might it go from here? Do you think the relationship will ever change drastically?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)