|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes fishing with Scotty and Sammy?
2. What kind of medicine does Sasha have in her purse?
3. The young warrior will eventually move to which city?
4. How many years have passed since the women have seen Lou?
5. Who was Bennie's mentor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of Charlie's behaviors during the early part of the safari that shows her displeasure with her father.
2. Who is Chronos? What does he do that nearly gets him killed?
3. What is the purpose of the visit to Lou's house?
4. Explain the author's flash forward. What becomes of each character?
5. Explain the gold cure. What is Bennie's explanation to his son?
6. What is Rhea's explanation of San Francisco in 1979?
7. What is Scotty's opinion about computer technology?
8. How does the group's friendship - and the band - end?
9. Explain the scene in which Scotty visits Bennie's office.
10. Explain Bennie's thoughts about the girl band and how it triggers a memory of his youth. What is the song title that comes out of that memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses flashbacks as a way to give a background to many of the characters. Examine the use of flashback and your opinion on its effectiveness. Give at least three examples.
Essay Topic 2
The characters used in the story still have a lot left that can be explored. Write a detailed synopsis of a sequel to "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan.
Essay Topic 3
Bennie eventually opens his own record label, Sow's Ear Records, in New York. Bennie's first big break comes with a band he signs. The Conduits go multi-platinum and Bennie's career takes off. Examine the rise and fall of Sow's Ear Records. What does it take to start a record company? How did the industry change from the time Bennie started the business until the time he was fired? How did Bennie return to his roots?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)