|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the warrior when he moved from the village?
2. What disease killed Jocelyn's father?
3. What kind of medicine does Sasha have in her purse?
4. How many children does Rhea have?
5. Who goes fishing with Scotty and Sammy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Jocelyn reflects on her past experiences with Lou and Rolph?
2. Explain the author's flash forward. What becomes of each character?
3. How does the group's friendship - and the band - end?
4. How does Sasha react to the woman's pleas? What happens next?
5. How does Sasha react to the woman's pleas? What happens next?
6. Explain some of Charlie's behaviors during the early part of the safari that shows her displeasure with her father.
7. Explain the scene in which Scotty visits Bennie's office.
8. What is Rhea's explanation of San Francisco in 1979?
9. How does the woman with the stolen wallet react upon learning that her wallet is gone?
10. Who is Chronos? What does he do that nearly gets him killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming a psychiatrist's point of view, analyze the situation with Sasha. Discuss Sasha's past history in regards to psychiatric care. What would a psychiatrist say about Sasha's need to steal? Was Sasha mentally ill or did something else cause her to act out? What would the terminology be from a psychiatrist's point of view? What kind of treatment might Sasha have benefited from before the situation got out of hand? Is the behavior something that can be "cured?" If so, how? If not, what else can be done?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses flashbacks as a way to give a background to many of the characters. Examine the use of flashback and your opinion on its effectiveness. Give at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Bennie Salazar. What types of things would Bennie be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Bennie have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with his superstars, lovers, childhood friends? How might Bennie describe how he felt before, during and after his stint at Sow's Ear Records?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)