|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Scotty's fishing partner?
2. How many children does Lou have?
3. Charlie's father had given her silver earrings shaped like _____.
4. How did Jocelyn meet this person?
5. Chapter 6 is written from the point of view of ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sasha react to the woman's pleas? What happens next?
2. How does Mindy relate her theories to Charlie and Rolph?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Bennie meets with record executives. What is the topic of conversation?
4. What is Rhea's explanation of San Francisco in 1979?
5. How does Sasha react to the woman's pleas? What happens next?
6. Who is Chronos? What does he do that nearly gets him killed?
7. What does Scotty say about his job as a janitor?
8. What event occurs in the bathroom of the Lassimo Hotel?
9. Explain the conversation between Sasha and Bennie on the way back to the city.
10. Explain Bennie's thoughts about the girl band and how it triggers a memory of his youth. What is the song title that comes out of that memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete character description of Dolly. Include the character's physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual state at various times in the book. Include Dolly's personal and professional information as well as the character's role in the story. What makes Dolly a compelling character? How could the character be improved?
Essay Topic 2
The music business is one of the main themes in Jennifer Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad. Bennie is the first person to show real interest in the music business. While many high school kids are in bands and are absorbed by the music scene, Bennie Salazar seems to be interested in everything from the music itself to how it is recorded, produced and promoted. This interest leads Bennie into a life long career in the music business with all of its changes, ups and downs. Examine Bennie's career in the music business including the stint with the Flaming Dildos, work at Revolver Records and his involvement with Lou Kline.
Essay Topic 3
Redemption is one of the main themes in the story. Each of the characters seems to go through a dark period. This is especially true of Sasha, whose entire background is revealed in various chapters. Sasha was a run away, did drugs, had many injuries and a rough life on the streets or in run down places all over the world, including Naples. Jocelyn may have the darkest past of all. Jocelyn fell into a bad lifestyle at a young age and spent her life from then on in and out of drug rehab and having bad experiences. Discuss redemption and how it applies to Sasha, Jocelyn, and Bennie. Explain in detail how and why each character felt the need to be redeemed.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)