|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Sasha when her father left?
2. Where does the girlfriend attend school?
3. Sasha compares the wallet to which fruit?
4. Bennie's old house is in the ____ style.
5. What is the name of the high school hangout?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the gig at the Mab. Who is present? How does the gig turn out?
2. How does the group's friendship - and the band - end?
3. How does Lou react when he sees Rhea and Jocelyn? How has the atmosphere changed?
4. What is Rhea's explanation of San Francisco in 1979?
5. What event occurs in the bathroom of the Lassimo Hotel?
6. Explain the author's flash forward. What becomes of each character?
7. What is Scotty's opinion about computer technology?
8. Explain Bennie's thoughts about the girl band and how it triggers a memory of his youth. What is the song title that comes out of that memory?
9. How does the woman with the stolen wallet react upon learning that her wallet is gone?
10. What does Rhea say about the group's band? Who are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bennie eventually opens his own record label, Sow's Ear Records, in New York. Bennie's first big break comes with a band he signs. The Conduits go multi-platinum and Bennie's career takes off. Examine the rise and fall of Sow's Ear Records. What does it take to start a record company? How did the industry change from the time Bennie started the business until the time he was fired? How did Bennie return to his roots?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Sasha and Bennie. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their relationship? How might Bennie's confession affect the relationship? Why do you think Sasha stays on at Sow's Ear? What might happen to the Bennie if Sasha left? How will it affect the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters, plots, settings, and outcomes of the stories woven into "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan. How do the story lines differ? What is the conclusion of each story? Which lead character did you like better? Explain.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)