|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Rhea have?
2. Who had to go and find Charlie when she did not come back to the hotel?
3. In which river do the men fish?
4. Where does the character whose point of view is shared in Chapter 6 live?
5. Chapter 6 is written from the point of view of ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conversation between Sasha and Bennie on the way back to the city.
2. Explain the conflict of communication between Alex and Lulu.
3. Explain some of Charlie's behaviors during the early part of the safari that shows her displeasure with her father.
4. What does Jules say about the fact that he likes to talk about himself more than his subject?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 2, Bennie meets with record executives. What is the topic of conversation?
6. What does Rhea say about the group's band? Who are they?
7. Who is La Doll? What caused her fall from grace?
8. Explain the author's flash forward. What becomes of each character?
9. How does Lou react when he sees Rhea and Jocelyn? How has the atmosphere changed?
10. What is Jules' opinion about Kitty upon first meeting the starlet?
Essay Topic 1
All of the characters in the book are connected in some way, albeit it often loosely. At times the connections might be difficult to find. Explain the connections of each character and why that character and his/her connections are a valid and integral part to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write a complete character description of Sasha. Include the character's physical, emotional, mental and spiritual state at various times in the book. Include Sasha's personal and professional information as well as the character's role in the story. What makes Sasha a compelling character? How could the character be improved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Egan's use of San Francisco for the setting in the story. Why do you think Egan chose San Francisco? How accurate do you think the setting is in regards to the real location? What areas are most commonly referenced in the story? What other location might have worked as well, if not better, than San Francisco? What is unique about the setting? What regionalisms are exhibited by the characters? Explain.
This section contains 2,029 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)