|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jack hire as a housekeeper?
2. After Cecil was thrown out of the house, what did Jack have to do to calm down?
3. When was the happiest week of Ruby's life?
4. When John Woodrow was in the hospital, what did the other migrants think Ruby should do?
5. Who was the best man at Burr's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
Essay Topic 2
In the last few segments of the novel, after writing many chapters in a Southern vernacular, the author finally gives definitive information about the geographical setting of the story, being Georgia; however, there is nothing definitive stated about the era. Choose a few examples of clues regarding the setting's time period and why they further define the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)