|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what does Jack pretend to do when visitors come to his house?
2. Why does Burr think Jack has taken the sheets off the bed?
3. After Ruby's death, how does Jack's house become?
4. When Cecil described hell, what did Jack pretend he thought Cecil was talking about?
5. Who was miserable when Burr's family went to the beach with Jack and Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Burr do for his father when he died?
2. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
3. What happened when Jack tried to cook for himself after Ruby's death?
4. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
5. What did the other migrant workers criticize Ruby for?
6. Who didn't attend Tiny Fran and Burr's wedding, and why?
7. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
8. What did Roland do to Ruby's mule?
9. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
10. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the story is, "A Virtuous Woman". Explain who the title is referring to, and why the proverb is present at the beginning.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character, such as John Woodrow, Tiny Fran, or Ruby Pitt Woodrow, and explain there views regarding entitlement of status. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)