|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally landed Roland in jail?
2. Whose inner thoughts is the reader privy to in Chapter 16?
3. Who narrates Chapter 16?
4. Why did Jack think that he and Ruby could not have children?
5. When they first met, how did Jack look at Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
2. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
3. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
4. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
5. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
6. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
7. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
8. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
9. After the week they got to spend with her, why were Jack and Ruby so upset went June went home?
10. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 2
Select a character, such as John Woodrow, Tiny Fran, or Ruby Pitt Woodrow, and explain there views regarding entitlement of status. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)