|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they first met, how did Jack look at Ruby?
2. When John Woodrow was in the hospital, what did the other migrants think Ruby should do?
3. What did Jack and Ruby used to think about people who babied their pets?
4. What does the housekeeper do on the second day?
5. Why did Burr's parents not want to come to his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
2. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
3. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
4. Why did Frances get mad at Ruby during Tiny Fran's wedding?
5. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
6. Before leaving home, what had been Ruby's experience with cooking?
7. After the week they got to spend with her, why were Jack and Ruby so upset went June went home?
8. Why did Jack finally decide to hire a housekeeper?
9. Who informed June about menstruation, and why?
10. Why was Ruby so proud of her cooking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a character, such as John Woodrow, Tiny Fran, or Ruby Pitt Woodrow, and explain there views regarding entitlement of status. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)