|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wasn't allowed to go to the hospital with everyone after the vacation injury?
2. After two months, why does Jack finally wash the sheets?
3. Who narrates Chapter 16?
4. What finally landed Roland in jail?
5. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
2. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
3. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
4. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
5. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
6. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
7. What did Roland do to Ruby's mule?
8. Who was Tiny Fran's favorite child, and how did she treat the other one?
9. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
10. After the week they got to spend with her, why were Jack and Ruby so upset went June went home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
Essay Topic 2
After writing fifteen chapters with Jack and Ruby as narrators, the author switches narrative styles in the last chapter to third person omnipotent. Explain why having dual narrators was not only beneficial, but critical to the story, and why it was necessary to switch styles for the ending.
Essay Topic 3
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)