|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, who did Ruby think would always be around to help her around the house?
2. What finally landed Roland in jail?
3. At the end of the story, what does Jack put on for Ruby?
4. Where did Ruby hide a gun?
5. When Cecil described hell, what did Jack pretend he thought Cecil was talking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Frances get mad at Ruby during Tiny Fran's wedding?
2. How did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
3. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
4. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
5. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
6. Why was Ruby so proud of her cooking?
7. Who didn't attend Tiny Fran and Burr's wedding, and why?
8. Who informed June about menstruation, and why?
9. After Ruby's spirit does not visit, what does Jack do the next day?
10. Who was Tiny Fran's favorite child, and how did she treat the other one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 2
After realizing her mistake for marrying John Woodrow, Ruby is too ashamed to return home. After waiting all night for Ruby's ghost to visit him, Jack is too ashamed to tell Burr and June why he is drinking in the morning and why the sheets are no longer on the bed. Explore these two character's feelings of shame and whether or not they are justified.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)