|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jack's physique?
2. What did Burr bury with his father?
3. Who married Tiny Fran and Burr?
4. On the housekeeper's first day, what is the first thing to break?
5. Who killed the mule?
Short Essay Questions
1. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
2. What did Burr do for his father when he died?
3. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
4. Why did Jack finally decide to hire a housekeeper?
5. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
6. How did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
7. What did Roland finally get arrested for?
8. After Ruby's spirit does not visit, what does Jack do the next day?
9. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
10. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the last few segments of the novel, after writing many chapters in a Southern vernacular, the author finally gives definitive information about the geographical setting of the story, being Georgia; however, there is nothing definitive stated about the era. Choose a few examples of clues regarding the setting's time period and why they further define the setting.
Essay Topic 2
After writing fifteen chapters with Jack and Ruby as narrators, the author switches narrative styles in the last chapter to third person omnipotent. Explain why having dual narrators was not only beneficial, but critical to the story, and why it was necessary to switch styles for the ending.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)