|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Burr think Jack has taken the sheets off the bed?
2. Where did Ruby hide a gun?
3. When was the happiest week of Ruby's life?
4. When John Woodrow was in the hospital, what did the other migrants think Ruby should do?
5. When Ruby was a child, who really did all the work around the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
2. What did Roland do to Ruby's mule?
3. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
4. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
5. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
6. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
7. What did the other migrant workers criticize Ruby for?
8. Describe the group's beach vacation.
9. Who was Tiny Fran's favorite child, and how did she treat the other one?
10. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)