|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Burr give Tiny Fran to leave?
2. At the end of the book, what does Burr give Jack?
3. Whose inner thoughts is the reader privy to in Chapter 16?
4. Who attended his father's funeral with Burr?
5. On her second day of work at the Hoover house, what did Ruby fear Tiny Fran would associate her with?
Essay Topic 1
In the last few segments of the novel, after writing many chapters in a Southern vernacular, the author finally gives definitive information about the geographical setting of the story, being Georgia; however, there is nothing definitive stated about the era. Choose a few examples of clues regarding the setting's time period and why they further define the setting.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
After writing fifteen chapters with Jack and Ruby as narrators, the author switches narrative styles in the last chapter to third person omnipotent. Explain why having dual narrators was not only beneficial, but critical to the story, and why it was necessary to switch styles for the ending.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)