|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, how can June's age be classified?
2. At the reception, what did Ruby joke about doing?
3. What is the first real meal that Jack tries to make after Ruby's death?
4. At the end of the story, what does Jack put on for Ruby?
5. Why does Burr think Jack has taken the sheets off the bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Jack tried to cook for himself after Ruby's death?
2. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
3. What did the other migrant workers criticize Ruby for?
4. What did Burr do for his father when he died?
5. How did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
6. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
7. Who informed June about menstruation, and why?
8. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
9. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
10. What did Roland do to Ruby's mule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
After realizing her mistake for marrying John Woodrow, Ruby is too ashamed to return home. After waiting all night for Ruby's ghost to visit him, Jack is too ashamed to tell Burr and June why he is drinking in the morning and why the sheets are no longer on the bed. Explore these two character's feelings of shame and whether or not they are justified.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)