|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruby was a child, who really did all the work around the house?
2. Who did Jack blame for the way Roland turned out?
3. When did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
4. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
5. What was the real reason Cecil came to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who informed June about menstruation, and why?
2. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
3. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
4. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
5. Who didn't attend Tiny Fran and Burr's wedding, and why?
6. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
7. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
8. What happened when Jack tried to cook for himself after Ruby's death?
9. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
10. What did Roland do to Ruby's mule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
After realizing her mistake for marrying John Woodrow, Ruby is too ashamed to return home. After waiting all night for Ruby's ghost to visit him, Jack is too ashamed to tell Burr and June why he is drinking in the morning and why the sheets are no longer on the bed. Explore these two character's feelings of shame and whether or not they are justified.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Ruby and Tiny Fran, being sure to mention:
a) The parenting that both women received from their mothers.
b) The amount of attention given to both Roland and June.
c) The roles of Jack and Burr as co-parents.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)