|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ruby feel pleased with herself in Chapter 8?
2. Who killed the mule?
3. How did Tiny Fran treat June?
4. When was the happiest week of Ruby's life?
5. Were Jack and Ruby religious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
2. After Ruby's spirit does not visit, what does Jack do the next day?
3. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
4. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
5. Why did Jack finally decide to hire a housekeeper?
6. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
7. Why did Frances get mad at Ruby during Tiny Fran's wedding?
8. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
9. What does Jack think of religious people?
10. Who was Tiny Fran's favorite child, and how did she treat the other one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)