|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tiny Fran fail to inform June about?
2. Who wasn't allowed to go to the hospital with everyone after the vacation injury?
3. What did Jack like to do to Cecil?
4. How did the mule die?
5. When Jack first met Ruby, what was he hauling across the yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jack finally decide to hire a housekeeper?
2. Before leaving home, what had been Ruby's experience with cooking?
3. Why was Ruby so proud of her cooking?
4. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
5. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
6. What did Burr do for his father when he died?
7. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
8. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
9. Who didn't attend Tiny Fran and Burr's wedding, and why?
10. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
Essay Topic 2
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)