|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was always trying to save people's souls?
2. Who did Ruby test recipes on?
3. After two months, why does Jack finally wash the sheets?
4. After Cecil was thrown out of the house, what did Jack have to do to calm down?
5. When did Jack and Ruby realize that babying animals is ridiculous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ruby so proud of her cooking?
2. Who informed June about menstruation, and why?
3. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
4. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
5. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
6. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
7. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
8. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
9. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
10. What does Jack think of religious people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruby gives up her ownership of land that she inherited while Jack feels a sense of ownership for fields he has no title for. Explore why both character's feelings are both right as well as wrong.
Essay Topic 2
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)