|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finding out that John Woodrow was in the hospital, what did Ruby decide to do about the predicament?
2. Why didn't Jack and Ruby adopt any children?
3. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
4. Ruby refused to nurse John Woodrow, but who did she say she would if she needed to?
5. When Jack first met Ruby, what was he hauling across the yard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 3
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)