|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
2. After emptying the deep freezer, what does Jack eat?
3. On her second day of work at the Hoover house, what did Ruby fear Tiny Fran would associate her with?
4. Who was supposed to watch the mule while Jack and Ruby were away?
5. Who got injured during the beach vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
2. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
3. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
4. What happened when Jack tried to cook for himself after Ruby's death?
5. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
6. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
7. How did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
8. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
9. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
10. Why did Frances get mad at Ruby during Tiny Fran's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the story is, "A Virtuous Woman". Explain who the title is referring to, and why the proverb is present at the beginning.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)