|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, who did Ruby think would always be around to help her around the house?
2. In Chapter 16, how can June's age be classified?
3. What worried Ruby the most about dying?
4. What did Jack like to do to Cecil?
5. Who got injured during the beach vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)