|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Ruby feel pleased with herself in Chapter 8?
2. Who got injured during the beach vacation?
3. Who helps Jack find a housekeeper?
4. When they first met, how did Jack look at Ruby?
5. Who was supposed to watch the mule while Jack and Ruby were away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
2. Why did Frances get mad at Ruby during Tiny Fran's wedding?
3. Who didn't attend Tiny Fran and Burr's wedding, and why?
4. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
5. How did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
6. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
7. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
8. Why did Jack think that Ruby's ghost had visited him in the night?
9. Describe the group's beach vacation.
10. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)