|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jack and Ruby used to think about people who babied their pets?
2. What color was Tiny Fran's wedding dress?
3. What worried Ruby the most about dying?
4. After June stayed a week and left, who did Jack and Ruby start to baby?
5. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Roland finally get arrested for?
2. Why were the townspeople afraid of Ruby?
3. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
4. What did Roland do to Ruby's mule?
5. Who was Tiny Fran's favorite child, and how did she treat the other one?
6. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
7. Who informed June about menstruation, and why?
8. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
9. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
10. How did Ruby remember first meeting Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Both John Woodrow and Jack Stokes felt inferior to Ruby. Compare and contrast their reasons and motivations for these feelings, as well as their origins.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)