|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Burr truly think of Tiny Fran?
2. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
3. Who else did Jack love?
4. Why was Ruby angry about having to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
5. Why was Ruby chosen to work in the Hoover house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
2. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
4. What did Jack think of John Woodrow?
5. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
6. When Jack shot his gun, what did Ruby think of and why didn't she tell Jack?
7. Why did Ruby get mad at Jack the day she was diagnosed with cancer?
8. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
9. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
10. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both John Woodrow and Jack Stokes felt inferior to Ruby. Compare and contrast their reasons and motivations for these feelings, as well as their origins.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)