|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say are the two things that carry on after you die?
2. After finally having enough of John, what did Ruby do?
3. What is Ruby's bad habit?
4. Who was Ruby's first husband?
5. Initially, how did Ruby perceive John Woodrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
2. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
3. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
4. When Jack shot his gun, what did Ruby think of and why didn't she tell Jack?
5. Why did Ruby get mad at Jack the day she was diagnosed with cancer?
6. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
7. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
8. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
9. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
10. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Ruby and Tiny Fran, being sure to mention:
a) The parenting that both women received from their mothers.
b) The amount of attention given to both Roland and June.
c) The roles of Jack and Burr as co-parents.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)