|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
2. What did Burr tell Lonnie he thought of Tiny Fran?
3. Whose property did Jack turn down?
4. Who gave Jack a gun?
5. Why did Lonnie ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jack's mother like?
2. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
3. How did Jack meet Ruby?
4. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
5. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
6. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
7. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
8. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
9. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
10. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Both John Woodrow and Jack Stokes felt inferior to Ruby. Compare and contrast their reasons and motivations for these feelings, as well as their origins.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Ruby and Tiny Fran, being sure to mention:
a) The parenting that both women received from their mothers.
b) The amount of attention given to both Roland and June.
c) The roles of Jack and Burr as co-parents.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)