|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose property did Jack turn down?
2. Where did Ruby and John finally land?
3. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
4. Before they were married, what did Ruby tell Jack she wanted him to do?
5. After her first day of work in the Hoover house, what did Ruby come home to?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
2. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
3. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
4. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
5. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
6. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
8. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
9. How did Jack meet Ruby?
10. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both John Woodrow and Jack Stokes felt inferior to Ruby. Compare and contrast their reasons and motivations for these feelings, as well as their origins.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 3
After realizing her mistake for marrying John Woodrow, Ruby is too ashamed to return home. After waiting all night for Ruby's ghost to visit him, Jack is too ashamed to tell Burr and June why he is drinking in the morning and why the sheets are no longer on the bed. Explore these two character's feelings of shame and whether or not they are justified.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)