|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After finally having enough of John, what did Ruby do?
2. Why did Lonnie want Tiny Fran to get married?
3. What was Jack's father like?
4. What did Jack's mother never do?
5. Who showed Ruby how to smoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
2. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
3. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
4. What did Jack once think that Lonnie Hoover would give and didn't?
5. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
6. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
7. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
8. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
9. What was Jack's mother like?
10. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)