|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruby react to Jack's thoughts on her diagnosis?
2. Why didn't Jack want someone else's property?
3. How did John Woodrow plan to buy a house?
4. After her first day of work in the Hoover house, what did Ruby come home to?
5. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
2. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
3. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
4. What did Jack once think that Lonnie Hoover would give and didn't?
5. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
6. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
7. How did Jack's father die?
8. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
9. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
10. What did Jack think of John Woodrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)