|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jack's mother never do?
2. What does Ruby wish she could change?
3. What did Jack admire about Ruby?
4. Who had Jack proposed to before Ruby?
5. How did Jack's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
2. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
3. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
4. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
5. How did Jack meet Ruby?
6. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
7. What did Jack think of John Woodrow?
8. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
9. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
10. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 2
After writing fifteen chapters with Jack and Ruby as narrators, the author switches narrative styles in the last chapter to third person omnipotent. Explain why having dual narrators was not only beneficial, but critical to the story, and why it was necessary to switch styles for the ending.
Essay Topic 3
After realizing her mistake for marrying John Woodrow, Ruby is too ashamed to return home. After waiting all night for Ruby's ghost to visit him, Jack is too ashamed to tell Burr and June why he is drinking in the morning and why the sheets are no longer on the bed. Explore these two character's feelings of shame and whether or not they are justified.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)