|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first woman Jack ever really loved?
2. How did Lonnie deal with problems?
3. What does Ruby do for Jack before she dies?
4. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
5. As a young woman, what was Ruby's most prized possession?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
2. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
3. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
5. Describe Jack's experience with women before Ruby.
6. How did Jack meet Ruby?
7. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
8. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
9. How did Jack's father die?
10. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
Essay Topic 2
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)