|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
2. Where did Jack first see Ruby?
3. When they first met, what did Jack tell Ruby about her husband?
4. What does Jack say are the two things that carry on after you die?
5. What does Ruby wish she could change?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack remove the sheets? Why does Burr think Jack has removed the sheets?
2. Describe the group's beach vacation.
3. What does Jack think of religious people?
4. What happened when Jack tried to cook for himself after Ruby's death?
5. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
6. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
7. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
8. How did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
9. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
10. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
After writing fifteen chapters with Jack and Ruby as narrators, the author switches narrative styles in the last chapter to third person omnipotent. Explain why having dual narrators was not only beneficial, but critical to the story, and why it was necessary to switch styles for the ending.
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)