|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruby's dying request?
2. Who else did Jack love?
3. How did Ruby and John get married?
4. What was Jack's mother like?
5. Why didn't Jack want someone else's property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
2. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
3. What did Jack think of John Woodrow?
4. What did Jack do to prepare for Ruby's spirit to visit him?
5. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
6. After Ruby's spirit does not visit, what does Jack do the next day?
7. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
8. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
9. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
10. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Both John Woodrow and Jack Stokes felt inferior to Ruby. Compare and contrast their reasons and motivations for these feelings, as well as their origins.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)