|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ruby angry about having to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
2. How does Ruby die?
3. What did Jack think Lonnie might will to him someday?
4. When they had lunch in the Pitt's house, what did the migrant workers do?
5. How would Tiny Fran's physique best be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
2. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
3. Describe Jack's experience with women before Ruby.
4. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
5. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
6. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
7. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
8. How did Jack meet Ruby?
9. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
10. Why did Ruby get mad at Jack the day she was diagnosed with cancer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Ruby and Tiny Fran, being sure to mention:
a) The parenting that both women received from their mothers.
b) The amount of attention given to both Roland and June.
c) The roles of Jack and Burr as co-parents.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)