|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
2. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
3. Before they were married, what did Ruby tell Jack she wanted him to do?
4. What did Ruby think of when Jack shot his gun?
5. What was Ruby's upbringing like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
2. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
3. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
4. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
5. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
6. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
7. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
8. Why did Ruby get mad at Jack the day she was diagnosed with cancer?
9. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
10. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
Essay Topic 3
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)