|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lonnie want Tiny Fran to get married?
2. Who showed Ruby how to smoke?
3. Who is the narrator of Chapter 1?
4. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
5. How did John Woodrow plan to buy a house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
2. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
3. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
4. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
5. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
6. How did Jack meet Ruby?
7. How did Jack's father die?
8. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
10. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
Essay Topic 2
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)