|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
2. Why did John Woodrow call Ruby a profane name?
3. Who is Jack's wife?
4. When they first met, what did Jack tell Ruby about her husband?
5. What does Jack always mess up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
2. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
3. What did Roland finally get arrested for?
4. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
5. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
6. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
7. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
8. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
9. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
10. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
Essay Topic 1
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)