|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruby die?
2. As a young woman, what was Ruby's most prized possession?
3. What is Ruby's bad habit?
4. After finding her husband with another woman, what did Ruby do?
5. How does Jack react to Ruby's diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jack think of John Woodrow?
2. What did Jack once think that Lonnie Hoover would give and didn't?
3. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
4. How did Jack meet Ruby?
5. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
6. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
7. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
8. What was Jack's mother like?
9. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
10. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Ruby gives up her ownership of land that she inherited while Jack feels a sense of ownership for fields he has no title for. Explore why both character's feelings are both right as well as wrong.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)