Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
2. Why did John Woodrow call Ruby a profane name?
3. Who is Jack's wife?
4. When they first met, what did Jack tell Ruby about her husband?
5. What does Jack always mess up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
2. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
3. What did Roland finally get arrested for?
4. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
5. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
6. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
7. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
8. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
9. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
10. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
Essay Topic 1
In the last few segments of the novel, after writing many chapters in a Southern vernacular, the author finally gives definitive information about the geographical setting of the story, being Georgia; however, there is nothing definitive stated about the era. Choose a few examples of clues regarding the setting's time period and why they further define the setting.
Essay Topic 2
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)