Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
2. Why did John Woodrow call Ruby a profane name?
3. Who is Jack's wife?
4. When they first met, what did Jack tell Ruby about her husband?
5. What does Jack always mess up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
2. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
3. What did Roland finally get arrested for?
4. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
5. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
6. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
7. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
8. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
9. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
10. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of death that occurs throughout the novel. How does death affect the various characters? How do some deaths, such as that of Burr's father, compare and contrast to Ruby's in how it affects their loved ones?
Essay Topic 2
Ruby gives up her ownership of land that she inherited while Jack feels a sense of ownership for fields he has no title for. Explore why both character's feelings are both right as well as wrong.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Ruby and Tiny Fran, being sure to mention:
a) The parenting that both women received from their mothers.
b) The amount of attention given to both Roland and June.
c) The roles of Jack and Burr as co-parents.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)