|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby say scares a man?
2. How important was land to Jack?
3. How does Ruby die?
4. Who is the first woman Jack ever really loved?
5. What does Ruby wish she could change?
Short Essay Questions
1. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
2. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
3. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
4. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
5. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
6. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
7. How did Jack's father die?
8. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
9. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
10. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the parenting styles of Ruby and Tiny Fran, being sure to mention:
a) The parenting that both women received from their mothers.
b) The amount of attention given to both Roland and June.
c) The roles of Jack and Burr as co-parents.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Although death and grief are recurring themes in "A Virtuous Woman", the story does contain some comic relief; for example, the appearance of Mavis and her behavior. Cite other examples of comic relief from within the text and explain not only how it enhances the story but also why it is necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Ruby gives up her ownership of land that she inherited while Jack feels a sense of ownership for fields he has no title for. Explore why both character's feelings are both right as well as wrong.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)