|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ruby told to clean the Hoover house so thoroughly?
2. Why did Lonnie ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
3. Why did Frances want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
4. What did Jack admire about Ruby?
5. After finally having enough of John, what did Ruby do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
2. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
3. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
4. What was Jack's mother like?
5. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
6. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
7. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
8. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
9. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
10. When Jack shot his gun, what did Ruby think of and why didn't she tell Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select a character, such as John Woodrow, Tiny Fran, or Ruby Pitt Woodrow, and explain there views regarding entitlement of status. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)