|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ruby told to clean the Hoover house so thoroughly?
2. Where did Ruby and John finally land?
3. After John's death, why didn't Ruby go back to her family's farm?
4. What was Jack's mother like?
5. Who is the narrator of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jack think of John Woodrow?
2. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
3. What did Jack once think that Lonnie Hoover would give and didn't?
4. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
5. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
6. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
7. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
8. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
9. Describe Jack's experience with women before Ruby.
10. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Jack's feelings regarding the concept of home, and why he didn't want to take Ruby's portion of the Pitt farm inheritance.
Essay Topic 2
In the last few segments of the novel, after writing many chapters in a Southern vernacular, the author finally gives definitive information about the geographical setting of the story, being Georgia; however, there is nothing definitive stated about the era. Choose a few examples of clues regarding the setting's time period and why they further define the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Select a character, such as John Woodrow, Tiny Fran, or Ruby Pitt Woodrow, and explain there views regarding entitlement of status. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)