|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack react to Ruby's diagnosis?
2. What does Ruby realize a dying person needs?
3. What did Jack admire about Ruby?
4. After lunching in the Pitt's house, where did the migrant workers eat lunch afterward?
5. Who is the first woman Jack ever really loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
2. How did Jack plan to win Ruby over?
3. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
4. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
5. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
6. What did Ruby plan to do to John Woodrow after she caught him cheating?
7. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
8. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
9. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
10. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Ruby's sense of pride, both before and after John Woodrow, as well as during childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Ruby gives up her ownership of land that she inherited while Jack feels a sense of ownership for fields he has no title for. Explore why both character's feelings are both right as well as wrong.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)