Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
2. Why did John Woodrow call Ruby a profane name?
3. Who is Jack's wife?
4. When they first met, what did Jack tell Ruby about her husband?
5. What does Jack always mess up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
2. What does Burr do for Jack, and how does this save his life?
3. What did Roland finally get arrested for?
4. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
5. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
6. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
7. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
8. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
9. What did Jack and Ruby think happens to the soul after death?
10. What happened to John Woodrow the night before Ruby and Jack met?
The title of the story is, "A Virtuous Woman". Explain who the title is referring to, and why the proverb is present at the beginning.
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)