|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say are the two things that carry on after you die?
2. What often happened in the Hoover house that Lonnie did not know about?
3. What is Ruby's bad habit?
4. Who showed Ruby how to smoke?
5. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
2. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
3. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
4. How did Jack's father die?
5. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
6. How did Jack meet Ruby?
7. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
8. What did Jack once think that Lonnie Hoover would give and didn't?
9. What was Jack's mother like?
10. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the story is, "A Virtuous Woman". Explain who the title is referring to, and why the proverb is present at the beginning.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the story, being sure to touch upon:
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)