|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
2. How did meeting Ruby change Jack's life?
3. After Ruby found out her husband was injured, what did Jack offer her?
4. How much older than Ruby was Jack?
5. What did Jack like about Ruby when he first met her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
2. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
3. Describe Jack's experience with women before Ruby.
4. What was Jack's mother like?
5. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
6. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
7. What kind of person was Tiny Fran?
8. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
9. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
10. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of grief in its various forms as it appears throughout the story, e.g. Ruby's grief over the inability to have children, Jack's grief over the loss of his parents, Ruby's grief for leaving her family for John Woodrow, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Race relations come up within the story. Describe African-American roles within the story and argue whether these characters are portrayed realistically or stereotypically.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)