|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ruby do that Jack loved?
2. What did Burr tell Lonnie he thought of Tiny Fran?
3. When they had lunch in the Pitt's house, what did the migrant workers do?
4. After finally having enough of John, what did Ruby do?
5. Who was Ruby's first husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jack do while Ruby was in her coffin, and why?
2. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
3. Describe Ruby's upbringing and why she was unprepared for someone like John Woodrow.
4. When Jack shot his gun, what did Ruby think of and why didn't she tell Jack?
5. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
6. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
7. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
8. How did Jack meet Ruby?
9. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
10. How did Jack's father die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)