|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
2. Why was Ruby angry about having to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
3. What happened on John and Ruby's wedding night?
4. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
5. What is Ruby's bad habit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
2. Describe Jack's experience with women before Ruby.
3. What happened when Jack tried to cook for himself after Ruby's death?
4. Why did Ruby marry John Woodrow?
5. After Ruby's spirit does not visit, what does Jack do the next day?
6. What does Jack think of religious people?
7. Who did Tiny Fran blame for the way Roland turned out? Who did Jack and Burr blame?
8. After June left their house, what did Jack and Ruby turn to in order to fill the void?
9. Why was Ruby so proud of her cooking?
10. What did Cecil come to Jack and Ruby's house to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of judgment throughout the novel, touching on:
a) Burr's judgment of Tiny Fran.
b) Mrs. Pitt and Sudie Bees conflicting judgments of the migrant workers.
c) Cecil's judgment regarding Ruby's soul.
Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
After writing fifteen chapters with Jack and Ruby as narrators, the author switches narrative styles in the last chapter to third person omnipotent. Explain why having dual narrators was not only beneficial, but critical to the story, and why it was necessary to switch styles for the ending.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the nature vs. nurture acquisition of abusive behavior in:
a) Tiny Fran
c) John Woodrow
Be sure to cite evidence from the text.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)