|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jack feel that Lonnie was partially responsible for his father's death?
2. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
3. As a young woman, what was Ruby's most prized possession?
4. After Ruby found out her husband was injured, what did Jack offer her?
5. How does Ruby die?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
2. What did the other migrant workers criticize Ruby for?
3. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
4. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
5. How did Jack meet Ruby?
6. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
7. Who didn't attend Tiny Fran and Burr's wedding, and why?
8. Who was Tiny Fran's favorite child, and how did she treat the other one?
9. Who did Jack hire as a housekeeper, and what happened to make him fire the housekeeper?
10. Why did Ruby cry when she found out that John Woodrow was dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters within the novel are either abused or themselves abusers. Select one character, either:
2) John Woodrow.
3) Tiny Fran.
Explain their roles as victim or perpetrator. Be sure to cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain your own definition of adulthood, whether it be an age, state of mind, acquisition of wisdom, etc. using characters from "A Virtuous Woman" as examples of your theories.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the appearances of religion, including spirituality, within the text. How is religion portrayed? Is it a positive or negative force within the text?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)