|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jack's mother never do?
(d) Bake pies.
2. What does Jack think of Ruby's dying request?
(a) It is impossible.
(b) It is disgusting.
(c) It is selfish.
(d) It is reasonable.
3. How does Ruby react to Jack's thoughts on her diagnosis?
(a) She cries and yells at him.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She laughs.
4. Why did Jack feel that Lonnie was partially responsible for his father's death?
(a) Lonnie owned the gun that killed Jack's father.
(b) Lonnie murdered him.
(c) Lonnie worked Jack's father to death.
(d) His father was driving the tractor at Lonnie's request.
5. Before John, what was the worst thing to happen to Ruby?
(a) She was kidnapped.
(b) She was raped.
(c) Her father beat her up once.
(d) Her grandmother died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jack's wife?
2. Why was Ruby chosen to work in the Hoover house?
3. What did Jack admire about Ruby?
4. Who showed Ruby how to smoke?
5. Who thought it was a bad idea to let the migrants in the Pitt's house for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Ruby's mother invited the migrant workers into the house for lunch?
2. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
3. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
5. Why did Frances Hoover want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
6. What was Jack's mother like?
7. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
8. Why did Ruby get mad at Jack the day she was diagnosed with cancer?
9. What did Jack once think that Lonnie Hoover would give and didn't?
10. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)