|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who thought it was a bad idea to let the migrants in the Pitt's house for lunch?
(a) Sudie Bee.
(b) John Woodrow.
(d) Lonnie Hoover.
2. What did Jack's mother never do?
(d) Bake pies.
3. Why was Ruby angry about having to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
(a) She resented being the prized white servant.
(b) She wanted to sleep in that day.
(c) She hated Tiny Fran.
(d) She hated weddings.
4. Would Jack have turned down Tiny Fran if she had been offered to him?
(a) Probably not.
(b) He hadn't thought about it.
(c) He already did.
5. Before they were married, what did Ruby tell Jack she wanted him to do?
(a) Move to Florida.
(b) Buy her a car.
(c) Take care of her.
(d) Plant potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ruby's first husband?
2. Why was Ruby told to clean the Hoover house so thoroughly?
3. How did John Woodrow plan to buy a house?
4. At the beginning of the story, where has Jack been getting his food from for the past few months?
5. Who else did Jack love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
2. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
3. How was Ruby not like Jack's mother?
4. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
5. What was Jack's first impression of Ruby?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what was Ruby doing, and why?
7. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
8. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
9. What land did Jack turn down, and why?
10. What was Jack's mother like?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)