|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Lonnie deal with problems?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) Quietly, but with sense.
(c) He laughed off his troubles.
(d) With rage.
2. Why did Jack feel that Lonnie was partially responsible for his father's death?
(a) Lonnie worked Jack's father to death.
(b) His father was driving the tractor at Lonnie's request.
(c) Lonnie owned the gun that killed Jack's father.
(d) Lonnie murdered him.
3. What did Jack admire about Ruby?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her meaness.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her ability to overcome her first marriage.
4. What did Ruby want to do to John Woodrow, but never got the chance?
(a) Divorce him.
(b) Tell him she loved him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Kick him.
5. Before John, what was the worst thing to happen to Ruby?
(a) Her grandmother died.
(b) She was kidnapped.
(c) She was raped.
(d) Her father beat her up once.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ruby meet John Woodrow?
2. Who interrupted Jack and Ruby's first conversation?
3. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
4. What did Ruby think of when Jack shot his gun?
5. Why did Lonnie ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jack acquire his gun, and what did he use it for?
2. What happened the last time Ruby saw John Woodrow?
3. Describe John's courting of Ruby and how he presented himself to her.
4. What did Ruby and Jack's mother have in common?
5. After they were married, how did John Woodrow treat Ruby?
6. Why did Lonnie Hoover ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
7. How did Ruby die, and why was this so frustrating for Jack?
8. What is Jack's last memory of Ruby?
9. Describe Ruby's upbringing and why she was unprepared for someone like John Woodrow.
10. What memory did Ruby recall when thinking of her diagnosis?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)