|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did not attend Burr's wedding?
(a) His parents.
(c) Tiny Fran.
2. After spending a week with Ruby and Jack, how did June feel about leaving?
3. Why does Burr think Jack has taken the sheets off the bed?
(a) They are soiled.
(b) They are stained.
(c) Jack is sleep walking.
(d) They got ripped.
4. On the housekeeper's first day, what is the first thing to break?
(a) The table.
(b) The TV.
(c) The toilet.
(d) The door.
5. What did Ruby have to teach herself to do?
(a) Fold napkins.
(b) Hitch a mule.
(d) Sleep with her eyes open.
6. Other than Jack, who did Ruby attribute her happiness to?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Tiny Fran.
7. When did Ruby feel pleased with herself in Chapter 8?
(a) When her bread rose.
(b) When she hugged Jack.
(c) When she sewed.
(d) When she went to sleep at night.
8. When Jack first met Ruby, what was he hauling across the yard?
9. How was June not ruined?
(a) Ruby, Jack and Burr would step in on her behalf.
(b) June never knew Roland.
(c) June went to boarding school.
(d) June never knew Tiny Fran.
10. Who attended his father's funeral with Burr?
(b) Tiny Fran.
11. Who narrates Chapter 16?
(a) It is a third person omniscient narrator.
12. Who was the best man at Burr's wedding?
13. On her second day of work at the Hoover house, what did Ruby fear Tiny Fran would associate her with?
(a) The other migrant women.
(b) Her husband and the migrants her father had to bail out of jail.
(d) The town gossip.
14. Why did Jack think that he and Ruby could not have children?
(a) It was Ruby's fault.
(b) It was not in God's plan.
(c) It was his fault.
(d) They never tried hard enough.
15. When they first met, how did Jack look at Ruby?
(b) Like she was something valuable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was always trying to save people's souls?
2. What finally landed Roland in jail?
3. When Cecil described hell, what did Jack pretend he thought Cecil was talking about?
4. After June stayed a week and left, who did Jack and Ruby start to baby?
5. Who received Ruby's portion of her family inheritance?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)