|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ruby sew for June?
(b) A quilt.
(c) Skirts for a cruise.
2. How does Jack's first solo meal turn out?
(b) The book doesn't say.
(c) Raw and awful.
(d) He burns it.
3. Who did Ruby test recipes on?
(d) Tiny Fran.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Jack pretend to do when visitors come to his house?
(b) Be happy.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Sleep walk.
5. When did Ruby feel pleased with herself in Chapter 8?
(a) When she went to sleep at night.
(b) When she hugged Jack.
(c) When she sewed.
(d) When her bread rose.
6. Who mediated between Ruby and Tiny Fran when they argued about June?
7. How did Tiny Fran treat June?
(a) She neglected her.
(b) She loved her.
(c) She abandoned her.
(d) June was Tiny Fran's favorite child.
8. What did Ruby lie to Jack about when they first met?
(a) Her family history.
(b) Her name.
(c) That she was traveling with the migrants doing research.
(d) The fact that she was married.
9. What did Burr give Tiny Fran to leave?
(a) A kick in the pants.
(b) A car.
(c) An apartment in town.
(d) Money to buy out her half of the farm.
10. How was June not ruined?
(a) June never knew Tiny Fran.
(b) Ruby, Jack and Burr would step in on her behalf.
(c) June never knew Roland.
(d) June went to boarding school.
11. What did John Woodrow die of?
(c) Heart attack.
(d) Collapsed lungs.
12. Who wasn't allowed to go to the hospital with everyone after the vacation injury?
13. What did Jack and Ruby used to think about people who babied their pets?
(a) They were envious.
(b) They didn't care.
(c) It was laughable.
(d) It made sense.
14. At the end of the book, what does Burr give Jack?
(b) A birthday card.
(c) A room in his house.
(d) A new wife.
15. At the end of the story, who does Jack think has visited him in the night?
(a) An angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ruby have to teach herself to do?
2. Who was the best man at Burr's wedding?
3. Other than Jack, who did Ruby attribute her happiness to?
4. Why did Ruby think that she and Jack could not have children?
5. As a child, who did Ruby think would always be around to help her around the house?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)