|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her second day of work at the Hoover house, what did Ruby fear Tiny Fran would associate her with?
(a) The other migrant women.
(b) The town gossip.
(c) Her husband and the migrants her father had to bail out of jail.
2. Who was miserable when Burr's family went to the beach with Jack and Ruby?
(b) Tiny Fran.
3. When did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
(a) When Roland left home.
(b) When Ruby died.
(c) After June left for college.
4. Why didn't Jack and Ruby adopt any children?
(a) They weren't allowed to do so.
(b) They didn't actually want kids.
(c) They had June in their lives.
(d) They wanted their own.
5. Who did Ruby test recipes on?
(d) Tiny Fran.
6. Who got injured during the beach vacation?
(c) Tiny Fran.
7. What was the real reason Cecil came to visit?
(a) To get Jack to come to church.
(b) To try to save Ruby's soul.
(c) To get a dinner invitation.
(d) To tease Jack.
8. When Ruby was a child, who really did all the work around the house?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Sudie Bee.
(d) Her father.
9. Who has June been worried about running into in town?
(c) Her mother, Tiny Fran.
10. When did Ruby feel pleased with herself in Chapter 8?
(a) When her bread rose.
(b) When she hugged Jack.
(c) When she sewed.
(d) When she went to sleep at night.
11. Why did Ruby think that she and Jack could not have children?
(a) They never tried hard enough.
(b) Because of something John Woodrow gave her.
(c) She wasn't meant to be a mom.
(d) God didn't want her to.
12. Were Jack and Ruby religious?
(a) They weren't sure.
(c) There is no way to tell.
13. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
(a) It gives Jack a hobby.
(b) Give him something to live for.
(d) Give him companionship.
14. What is the first real meal that Jack tries to make after Ruby's death?
(d) Garlic chicken.
15. What did Jack and Ruby believe happens to a person's spirit when they die?
(a) They will go to hell.
(b) They will cease to exist.
(c) They will go to heaven.
(d) Their spirit will leave the body and do as it pleases.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threw Cecil out of the house?
2. When they first met, how did Jack look at Ruby?
3. When was the happiest week of Ruby's life?
4. After Ruby's death, how does Jack's house become?
5. What did Ruby say she would do to Jack if he ever stepped out of line?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)