|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Ruby finally visit her parents?
(a) When she got pregnant.
(b) After she married Jack.
(c) After she turned 30.
(d) She never did.
2. Who did Jack blame for the way Roland turned out?
(a) Tiny Fran.
3. Why did Burr's parents not want to come to his wedding?
(a) His mother was ill.
(b) His father was jealous of the land he was acquiring.
(c) His father was ill.
(d) They hated Tiny Fran.
4. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
(b) Give him companionship.
(c) Give him something to live for.
(d) It gives Jack a hobby.
5. After Ruby's ghost doesn't visit him, what does Jack do the next day?
(a) Call Mavis.
(d) Drink and watch cartoons.
6. What did Tiny Fran fail to inform June about?
(a) Bra sizing.
(c) Acne treatments.
(d) How babies are made.
7. Who was always trying to save people's souls?
8. What does the housekeeper spend the first day doing?
(a) Scrubbing the floor.
(b) Filling the deep freezer with food.
(c) Mowing the grass.
(d) Lounging and nursing a sore knee.
9. Who mediated between Ruby and Tiny Fran when they argued about June?
10. When did Tiny Fran leave Burr?
(a) After June left for college.
(b) When Roland left home.
(d) When Ruby died.
11. Why didn't Jack and Ruby adopt any children?
(a) They had June in their lives.
(b) They weren't allowed to do so.
(c) They wanted their own.
(d) They didn't actually want kids.
12. Who killed the mule?
(d) Nobody knows.
13. Who had to bail the migrant workers out of jail in the middle of the night?
(c) John Woodrow.
14. How does Jack's first solo meal turn out?
(a) Raw and awful.
(b) The book doesn't say.
(d) He burns it.
15. At the end of the second day, what happens to the housekeeper?
(a) She gets fired.
(b) He quits.
(c) He gets fired.
(d) She quits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ruby test recipes on?
2. Who was the best man at Burr's wedding?
3. When they first met, how did Jack look at Ruby?
4. Whose inner thoughts is the reader privy to in Chapter 16?
5. On her second day of work at the Hoover house, what did Ruby fear Tiny Fran would associate her with?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)