|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first real meal that Jack tries to make after Ruby's death?
(a) Garlic chicken.
2. Who mediated between Ruby and Tiny Fran when they argued about June?
3. Why did Burr's parents not want to come to his wedding?
(a) They hated Tiny Fran.
(b) His father was ill.
(c) His mother was ill.
(d) His father was jealous of the land he was acquiring.
4. Where did Ruby hide a gun?
(a) In the bottom of her bag where the lingerie had been.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) On top of the refrigerator.
(d) Behind the toilet.
5. Who wasn't allowed to go to the hospital with everyone after the vacation injury?
6. After Ruby's ghost doesn't visit him, what does Jack do the next day?
(b) Drink and watch cartoons.
(c) Call Mavis.
7. In Chapter 16, how can June's age be classified?
(a) A young adult.
(b) An old lady.
(c) A little kid.
(d) A baby.
8. How was June not ruined?
(a) June never knew Tiny Fran.
(b) June went to boarding school.
(c) Ruby, Jack and Burr would step in on her behalf.
(d) June never knew Roland.
9. How often has Jack mentioned the lie that Ruby told him when they first met?
(c) Every day.
(d) Only on their anniversary.
10. What does Jack say instead of "haunt"?
11. Who does Jack hire as a housekeeper?
(c) Tiny Fran.
12. Who married Tiny Fran and Burr?
(a) A "civil somebody".
(b) A minister.
(c) The preacher.
(d) A judge.
13. After emptying the deep freezer, what does Jack eat?
(a) Burgers and fries.
(b) Whatever Burr cooks.
(c) Canned soup and cereal.
(d) Stir fry.
14. On her second day of work at the Hoover house, what did Ruby fear Tiny Fran would associate her with?
(a) The town gossip.
(c) Her husband and the migrants her father had to bail out of jail.
(d) The other migrant women.
15. What finally landed Roland in jail?
(b) Public drunkeness.
(d) Mule murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. After two months, why does Jack finally wash the sheets?
2. In Chapter 16, what does Jack pretend to do when visitors come to his house?
3. Whose inner thoughts is the reader privy to in Chapter 16?
4. What does the housekeeper spend the first day doing?
5. What did Ruby say she would do to Jack if he ever stepped out of line?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)