|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who received Ruby's portion of her family inheritance?
(a) Her brothers.
(b) Sudie Bee.
(d) John Woodrow.
2. Why did Jack think that he and Ruby could not have children?
(a) It was not in God's plan.
(b) It was Ruby's fault.
(c) It was his fault.
(d) They never tried hard enough.
3. What does Burr's gift do for Jack?
(b) It gives Jack a hobby.
(c) Give him companionship.
(d) Give him something to live for.
4. Who married Tiny Fran and Burr?
(a) A minister.
(b) The preacher.
(c) A judge.
(d) A "civil somebody".
5. What does the housekeeper spend the first day doing?
(a) Filling the deep freezer with food.
(b) Mowing the grass.
(c) Scrubbing the floor.
(d) Lounging and nursing a sore knee.
6. Why did Burr's parents not want to come to his wedding?
(a) His mother was ill.
(b) His father was ill.
(c) They hated Tiny Fran.
(d) His father was jealous of the land he was acquiring.
7. Who narrates Chapter 16?
(c) It is a third person omniscient narrator.
8. Who attended his father's funeral with Burr?
(d) Tiny Fran.
9. Who has June been worried about running into in town?
(c) Her mother, Tiny Fran.
10. After Cecil was thrown out of the house, what did Jack have to do to calm down?
(a) Have a drink.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Yell at the TV.
11. Other than Jack, who did Ruby attribute her happiness to?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Tiny Fran.
12. Who was always trying to save people's souls?
13. What did Ruby lie to Jack about when they first met?
(a) Her family history.
(b) Her name.
(c) That she was traveling with the migrants doing research.
(d) The fact that she was married.
14. What did Jack and Ruby used to think about people who babied their pets?
(a) It was laughable.
(b) They were envious.
(c) They didn't care.
(d) It made sense.
15. What does Jack say instead of "haunt"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Burr bury with his father?
2. Who was miserable when Burr's family went to the beach with Jack and Ruby?
3. On the housekeeper's first day, what is the first thing to break?
4. Who did Jack blame for the way Roland turned out?
5. What did Tiny Fran fail to inform June about?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)