|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John Woodrow plan to buy a house?
(a) By asking Ruby's father for her portion of her inheritance early.
(b) By building one himself.
(c) By gambling.
(d) By saving.
2. Before they were married, what did Ruby tell Jack she wanted him to do?
(a) Plant potatoes.
(b) Move to Florida.
(c) Take care of her.
(d) Buy her a car.
3. Who had Jack proposed to before Ruby?
(a) Tiny Fran.
(b) No one.
(c) Every girl in town.
4. Why did Burr agree to marry Tiny Fran?
(a) He was lonely.
(b) He wanted the land Lonnie offered in exchange for marrying her.
(c) Burr loved Tiny Fran.
(d) Lonnie threatened to kill him if he didn't.
5. Who is Jack's wife?
(d) Tiny Fran.
6. What does Ruby say scares a man?
(a) Having to re-marry.
(b) The thought of cooking for himself.
(c) A sick woman who was once strong.
7. When they first met, what did Jack tell Ruby about her husband?
(a) He had been in a bar fight.
(b) He smelled bad.
(c) He was a jerk.
(d) He would leave her.
8. What does Ruby realize a dying person needs?
(a) Lots of food.
(c) To be held and confronted with reality, not empty consolation.
(d) To be told everything is going to be ok.
9. After John's death, why didn't Ruby go back to her family's farm?
(a) Her parents wouldn't have her.
(b) She hated it there.
(c) She couldn't remember where it was.
(d) She was ashamed.
10. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
11. What did Jack do with his gun?
(a) Used it for target practice.
(b) Showed it to little kids.
(c) Killed John.
12. Who thought it was a bad idea to let the migrants in the Pitt's house for lunch?
(b) Lonnie Hoover.
(c) Sudie Bee.
(d) John Woodrow.
13. What did serving at Tiny Fran's wedding make Ruby think of?
(a) Her hatred for Tiny Fran.
(b) Her own sorry wedding.
(c) Sudie Bee scolding a servant for sticking his fingers in the cake.
(d) A fancy dinner.
14. Why did Jack feel that Lonnie was partially responsible for his father's death?
(a) Lonnie owned the gun that killed Jack's father.
(b) Lonnie worked Jack's father to death.
(c) Lonnie murdered him.
(d) His father was driving the tractor at Lonnie's request.
15. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
(a) Beat her.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
2. What was Ruby's upbringing like?
3. How does Jack react to Ruby's diagnosis?
4. How does Ruby die?
5. What did Jack admire about Ruby?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)