|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they had lunch in the Pitt's house, what did the migrant workers do?
(a) Stayed for dinner afterward.
(b) Thanked Mrs. Pitt.
(c) Cleaned up after themselves.
(d) Made a mess, broke all the dishes, and stopped up the sink.
2. What was Ruby's upbringing like?
(a) Sheltered, but loving.
(b) She was neglected.
(d) She lived on the streets.
3. Why did Frances want Ruby to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
(a) Ruby asked if she could help out.
(b) She liked the idea of having a white servant.
(c) No one else would do it.
(d) Frances wanted Ruby and her daughter to be friends.
4. What did Jack do with his gun?
(a) Showed it to little kids.
(b) Used it for target practice.
(c) Killed John.
5. What did Jack think Lonnie might will to him someday?
(a) A tractor.
(c) Tiny Fran.
6. Where did Ruby and John finally land?
(a) In Canada.
(b) The Hoover farm.
(c) At a house in town.
(d) Back at the Pitt farm.
7. Why was Ruby angry about having to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
(a) She hated Tiny Fran.
(b) She resented being the prized white servant.
(c) She wanted to sleep in that day.
(d) She hated weddings.
8. How does Jack feel about Ruby after she has passed?
(a) He loves and misses her.
(b) He is glad she is gone.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He doesn't know she's dead.
9. What did Ruby think of when Jack shot his gun?
(b) John Woodrow.
(d) Tiny Fran.
10. How does Jack react to Ruby's diagnosis?
(a) He accepts that she will die soon.
(b) He doesn't think she will die.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He vows to keep her alive.
11. What is Ruby's dying request?
(a) A hot shower.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A good meal.
(d) A cigarette.
12. What did Ruby want to do to John Woodrow, but never got the chance?
(a) Divorce him.
(b) Kick him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Tell him she loved him.
13. Why didn't Jack want someone else's property?
(a) He didn't want to own anything.
(b) He didn't want what he didn't know.
(c) He only wanted property in Florida.
(d) No one ever offered him property.
14. At the beginning of the story, where has Jack been getting his food from for the past few months?
(a) Burr's refrigerator.
(b) The store.
(c) He cooks.
(d) The deep freezer.
15. How could Jack tell Ruby was not a typical migrant worker?
(a) By her smooth skin.
(b) She spoke with a French accent.
(c) He knew her family.
(d) He knew all the other migrants and had never seen her.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
2. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
3. After John's death, why didn't Ruby go back to her family's farm?
4. Why was Ruby told to clean the Hoover house so thoroughly?
5. What does Jack say are the two things that carry on after you die?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)