|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruby react to Jack's thoughts on her diagnosis?
(a) She leaves the room.
(b) She cries and yells at him.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She laughs.
2. How much older than Ruby was Jack?
(a) One year.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifty years.
(d) They were the same age.
3. How did Jack's father die?
(a) Natural causes.
(b) In a tractor accident.
(d) He was murdered.
4. What did serving at Tiny Fran's wedding make Ruby think of?
(a) A fancy dinner.
(b) Her own sorry wedding.
(c) Her hatred for Tiny Fran.
(d) Sudie Bee scolding a servant for sticking his fingers in the cake.
5. At the beginning of the story, where has Jack been getting his food from for the past few months?
(a) The deep freezer.
(b) Burr's refrigerator.
(c) He cooks.
(d) The store.
6. How did Ruby and John get married?
(a) They eloped.
(b) In a church.
(c) At Ruby's family farm.
(d) In Las Vegas.
7. After John's death, why didn't Ruby go back to her family's farm?
(a) She hated it there.
(b) She was ashamed.
(c) She couldn't remember where it was.
(d) Her parents wouldn't have her.
8. How would Tiny Fran's physique best be described?
(c) Plump and pregnant.
9. How did meeting Ruby change Jack's life?
(a) It made him sad.
(b) It defined his life; he became a man.
(c) It made him angry.
(d) It made him go crazy.
10. What did John do that was the last straw for Ruby?
(c) Beat her.
11. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
12. After finally having enough of John, what did Ruby do?
(a) Ran away.
(b) Got a divorce.
(c) Beat up John.
(d) Bought a pistol.
13. Why was Ruby angry about having to serve at Tiny Fran's wedding?
(a) She wanted to sleep in that day.
(b) She hated weddings.
(c) She resented being the prized white servant.
(d) She hated Tiny Fran.
14. Why did Lonnie want Tiny Fran to get married?
(a) Tiny Fran would soon be a spinster.
(b) Tiny Fran was in love.
(c) Lonnie was tired of having her around.
(d) To alleviate all future issues.
15. When recalling her diagnosis, what does Ruby think of?
(a) Her unhappy life.
(b) Her father's death.
(c) Her grandmother's death.
(d) Her funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupted Jack and Ruby's first conversation?
2. What does Ruby wish she could change?
3. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
4. How does Jack feel about Ruby after she has passed?
5. How old was Jack when his mother died?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)