|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ruby's dying request?
(a) A hot shower.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A good meal.
2. What does Jack think that he will die with that will carry on?
(a) The world.
3. What does Ruby do for Jack before she dies?
(a) Drinks with him.
(b) Makes the bed.
(c) Does his laundry.
(d) Fills the deep freezer with food.
4. Where did Jack first see Ruby?
(a) In her house.
(b) Under a pecan tree at the Hoover's.
(c) At the movies.
(d) In the barn.
5. Where did Ruby and John finally land?
(a) Back at the Pitt farm.
(b) At a house in town.
(c) In Canada.
(d) The Hoover farm.
6. When Ruby is in her coffin, what does Jack do?
(a) Hides her ashy fingers.
(b) Gives her a kiss.
(c) Knocks over the casket.
(d) Fixes her make-up.
7. Who interrupted Jack and Ruby's first conversation?
(b) John Woodrow.
(c) A migrant worker.
(d) Tiny Fran.
8. What did Ruby want to do to John Woodrow, but never got the chance?
(a) Tell him she loved him.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Kick him.
9. What did Jack do when his father died?
(a) Took a nap.
(b) Yelled at God.
(c) Yelled at Lonnie.
(d) Walked away.
10. What does Ruby say scares a man?
(a) A sick woman who was once strong.
(b) Having to re-marry.
(c) The thought of cooking for himself.
11. How does Jack feel about Ruby after she has passed?
(a) He loves and misses her.
(b) He doesn't know she's dead.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He is glad she is gone.
12. After John's death, why didn't Ruby go back to her family's farm?
(a) Her parents wouldn't have her.
(b) She couldn't remember where it was.
(c) She hated it there.
(d) She was ashamed.
13. Why did Lonnie ask Burr to marry Tiny Fran?
(a) No one else would ask her.
(b) Tiny Fran was pregnant.
(c) Tiny Fran had her eye on Burr.
(d) Burr loved Tiny Fran.
14. What did Ruby do that Jack loved?
(a) Baked pies.
(d) Scrubbed the floor.
15. Why was Ruby told to clean the Hoover house so thoroughly?
(a) It was filthy.
(b) In preparation for Tiny Fran's wedding.
(c) The governor was coming to dinner.
(d) Mrs. Hoover was anal retentive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How important was land to Jack?
2. On Ruby's first day of work, what did Tiny Fran do that Ruby found appalling?
3. What was Ruby's upbringing like?
4. When they had lunch in the Pitt's house, what did the migrant workers do?
5. Who thought it was a bad idea to let the migrants in the Pitt's house for lunch?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)