|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where are women confined, according to Chapter 9?
2. Who can get away with falling into sexual immorality?
3. Where does Wollstonecraft say there is little true heroism found anymore?
4. What does a woman need to be a good mother?
5. What do many women not exercise, according to Wollstonecraft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads women to the romantic, sentimental twists of the mind, according to the second section of Chapter 13? What solution does Wollstonecraft offer?
2. Explain how parents govern their children, according to the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. Explain what happens to children who are raised by parents who work from the heart and an understanding of the child?
4. What makes women careless or unnatural mothers, according to Wollstonecraft?
5. How can women bring out modesty from chastity?
6. Why does Wollstonecraft think it is worse for a married woman than a single woman to have an affair?
7. How does Wollstonecraft order women's duties in society?
8. What does Wollstonecraft say happens to boys who attend religious schools?
9. Describe the reciprocal duty Wollstonecraft explains in Chapter 11.
10. How does Wollstonecraft explain modesty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define irony. What are the three types of irony used in literature? Identify at least one use of irony in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman and identify what type of irony it is. Is this an effective use of irony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wollstonecraft's thoughts on parenting. How are children parented in Wollstonecraft's society? What does Wollstonecraft think of this? What changes does Wollstonecraft want to see in the parenting paradigm?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of class in the treatment of women according to Wollstonecraft. What classes of women are treated the worst? What classes of women are treated the best? Why are there differences in how women are treated based on class?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)