|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of example do most mothers set for their children?
2. At what age does Wollstonecraft think children should be separated between trade schools and schools that teach humanities?
3. What can happen when mothers exhibit a lack of reason?
4. In what educational situation do children not learn ingenuity of thought?
5. What does Wollstonecraft say about humble men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how parents govern their children, according to the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Give two of Wollstonecraft’s concluding remarks.
3. Why does Wollstonecraft advocate national schools, according to the end of Chapter 12?
4. What justification does Wollstonecraft give in Chapter 10 for strengthening women's understanding?
5. What problems does Wollstonecraft see with current methods of education in her society? What solution does she offer?
6. Why does Wollstonecraft say women should not rely on their husbands for existence?
7. What is the focus of virtue for women, according to Wollstonecraft? How can women behave if they attain that virtue?
8. Why does Wollstonecraft think it is worse for a married woman than a single woman to have an affair?
9. Why does Wollstonecraft advocate national schools, according to the end of Chapter 12?
10. What does Wollstonecraft say religion must be based on in the first section of Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Wollstonecraft's educational plan with education today. What elements of Wollstonecraft's plan can be seen in today's educational system? What aspects are not present?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wollstonecraft's view of marriage in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. What is the state of marriage in her society? What does she think of this? What does Wollstonecraft want to see happen in marriage? What does this reveal about her society?
Essay Topic 3
Define virtue. Why should people attain virtue? How does Wollstonecraft say men and women attain virtue? What does this reveal about Wollstonecraft's society? Why does she disagree with this? How does Wollstonecraft want men and women to attain virtue?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)