|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parents are able to extort a great deal of respect from their children?
2. What reason is there to obey a parent only because they are a parent?
3. What is the best educational situation, according to Wollstonecraft?
4. What does Wollstonecraft say about humble men?
5. What can be harmful to the growth of parental affection, according to Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wollstonecraft say happens to boys who attend religious schools?
2. Where does Wollstonecraft believe education should start?
3. What kind of education does Wollstonecraft support at the beginning of Chapter 12? Why?
4. What does Wollstonecraft say about sex in Chapter 8?
5. How does society expect men and women to keep their passions in check?
6. How do women treat their children, according to Wollstonecraft? Why?
7. Why does Wollstonecraft think it is worse for a married woman than a single woman to have an affair?
8. Why is morality undermined in women's lives, according to Wollstonecraft?
9. What is the role of education, according to the fifth section of Chapter 13? How do silly mothers damage children?
10. How does Wollstonecraft order women's duties in society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of religion in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. What does this reveal about Wollstonecraft's society? What does this reveal about Wollstonecraft herself? How does religion relate to the overall points Wollstonecraft makes about women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wollstonecraft's view of marriage in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. What is the state of marriage in her society? What does she think of this? What does Wollstonecraft want to see happen in marriage? What does this reveal about her society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the expectations of men's behavior and reputation with that of women. Why do these differences exist in the expectations? Does Wollstonecraft offer a solution? If so, what is her solution?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)