|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wollstonecraft say offers a great advantage in forming women's characters?
2. According to Wollstonecraft, what would fulfill a woman's life task?
3. In what state are women kept?
4. What kind of men easily appeal to women?
5. Who is the first author Wollstonecraft addresses in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Wollstonecraft's objection to the character of Sophia in Rousseau's Emilie.
2. What does Wollstonecraft say about love in Chapter 4? What does she say is better than love?
3. Why do “rakes” find it easy to appeal to women?
4. How are women made weak, according to the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. How do instructional books written by men treat women?
6. How does Wollstonecraft compare women to the rich?
7. What does Wollstonecraft say she is going to start with in Chapter 1?
8. How do men attain regal power? How do their subjects react?
9. What does Wollstonecraft say about women's first impressions in Chapter 6?
10. What error do men make in their view of education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wollstonecraft's thoughts on parenting. How are children parented in Wollstonecraft's society? What does Wollstonecraft think of this? What changes does Wollstonecraft want to see in the parenting paradigm?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of class in the treatment of women according to Wollstonecraft. What classes of women are treated the worst? What classes of women are treated the best? Why are there differences in how women are treated based on class?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of religion in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. What does this reveal about Wollstonecraft's society? What does this reveal about Wollstonecraft herself? How does religion relate to the overall points Wollstonecraft makes about women?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)