|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of reason?
2. What does Wollstonecraft call for to reform women's manners?
3. For what kind of learning are women ridiculed?
4. What do women shy away from when it comes to men?
5. Who complains about the silliness of women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wollstonecraft ask for forgiveness in her Introduction?
2. What do women believe about religion, according to Chapter 3?
3. Explain Wollstonecraft's objection to the character of Sophia in Rousseau's Emilie.
4. How does Wollstonecraft compare women to the rich?
5. What is included in A Vindication of the Rights of Woman before the first chapter?
6. How do instructional books written by men treat women?
7. What does Wollstonecraft say about Rousseau's view of women's education?
8. What does Jean-Jacques Rousseau argue about the nature of man?
9. What kind of education do women have, according to the Introduction? What kind of women does this produce?
10. How do men attain regal power? How do their subjects react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Wollstonecraft's plan to improve education as it is described in Chapter 11. Explain the education she has planned for each age group. Why does she make this proposal for an education system?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between education and parenting in the 18th century. Why is education important for parenting? What affect does women's poor education have on their role as a mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the follies Wollstonecraft addresses in Chapter 13 of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman. What are the follies she addresses? Why are they harmful to women? What, if any, solutions does she offer to combat them?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)