|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the true foundation for morality?
2. From where does true beauty arise, according to Chapter 6?
(a) The heart.
(d) The mind.
3. What does Wollstonecraft want women to acquire?
4. When it comes to relationships between men and women, who will always have the advantage?
(a) Societal pressures.
(b) The man.
(c) The woman.
(d) The rake.
5. Where must virtuous beings derive their virtue?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are women like the rich?
2. What do most women rely on instead of education?
3. Which women have less morality than primitive women?
4. According to Chapter 6, what has a determinate effect on women's characters?
5. How does Wollstonecraft say God intended mankind to live after the Fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do “rakes” find it easy to appeal to women?
2. Why does Wollstonecraft ask for forgiveness in her Introduction?
3. Why does Wollstonecraft not address every writer who has presented his views on subjugating women?
4. How do instructional books written by men treat women?
5. What irony does Wollstonecraft present in Chapter 2 in men's view of women? What kind of irony is this?
6. What do women believe about religion, according to Chapter 3?
7. What error do men make in their view of education?
8. What argument does Wollstonecraft give at the beginning of Chapter 2 to justify women's pursuit and attainment of virtue?
9. What does Wollstonecraft say about women's first impressions in Chapter 6?
10. Explain Wollstonecraft's objection to the character of Sophia in Rousseau's Emilie.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)