|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is important to manners?
(c) Proper appearance.
(d) Individual education.
2. What author does Wollstonecraft speak the most highly of in Chapter 5?
(a) Mrs. Macauley.
(b) Mrs. Shelley.
(c) Mrs. Piozzi.
(d) Mrs. Chapone.
3. How do men attain regal status?
4. According to Chapter 6, what has a determinate effect on women's characters?
(a) Early associations and ideas.
(b) Formal education.
(d) Religious upbringing.
5. What is the title of the work by Dr. Gregory Wollstonecraft that he addresses in Chapter 5?
(a) Legacy to His Daughters.
(b) On the Education of Daughters.
(c) Raising Women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice reinforces women's inferiority and goes against nature?
2. What forms, to some degree, man's character?
3. Women are slaves to _______________.
4. Who complains about the silliness of women?
5. What type of women delight in using whatever small power they have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wollstonecraft say she is going to start with in Chapter 1?
2. Explain Wollstonecraft's objection to the character of Sophia in Rousseau's Emilie.
3. What are Rousseau's views on women, according to Chapter 5?
4. How do instructional books written by men treat women?
5. What justification do men use for the inferiority of women that Wollstonecraft compares to tyrannical rulers?
6. How do men attain regal power? How do their subjects react?
7. What does Wollstonecraft say about allowing boys and girls to play together?
8. Why do “rakes” find it easy to appeal to women?
9. How are women made weak, according to the beginning of Chapter 4?
10. What does Wollstonecraft say about Rousseau's view of women's education?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)