|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Rousseau's argument about virtue apply?
(d) The rich.
2. In Chapter 6, what does Wollstonecraft say is the only thing that can bring independence and freedom?
3. What does Rousseau say is required of girls for them to be thought beautiful?
(a) They must have children.
(b) They must be married.
(c) They must be kept under constant and severe restraint in their bodies and minds.
(d) They must not be educated.
4. Women are slaves to _______________.
(a) They are often neutral to impressions.
(b) First impressions.
(c) Positive impressions.
(d) Negative impressions.
5. Why does Rousseau think religion should be taken away from woman?
(a) All she needs to know about religion is that God's will states she is inferior.
(b) A man should explain it to her.
(c) All she needs to know is taught to her in childhood.
(d) Religious freedom may lead her to want additional liberties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is important to manners?
2. In what state are women kept?
3. What is the business of a woman's life?
4. What do most women rely on instead of education?
5. Wollstonecraft hopes that _____________will forgive her.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Wollstonecraft says about people of genius in Chapter 3.
2. What does Wollstonecraft say about women's first impressions in Chapter 6?
3. What do women believe about religion, according to Chapter 3?
4. Explain Wollstonecraft's objection to the character of Sophia in Rousseau's Emilie.
5. What was clouded reason? What led to reason being clouded?
6. What does Jean-Jacques Rousseau argue about the nature of man?
7. How are women made weak, according to the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. Why do “rakes” find it easy to appeal to women?
9. What error do men make in their view of education?
10. What does Wollstonecraft say she is pessimistic about in the Introduction? What effect does she see as a result?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)