|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the title of Chapter 10 refer?
(a) Affection parents give their children.
(b) Affection given to parents by their children.
(c) Affection given to parents by society.
(d) Affection given to parents by other parents.
2. What does parental affection lead to?
(a) Filial duty.
(b) Rational adults.
3. What kind of example do most mothers set for their children?
(a) Bad examples.
(b) Limited examples.
(c) Good examples.
(d) Biased examples.
4. Who wrote Some Thoughts Concerning Education?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Mary Wollstonecraft.
(c) John Locke.
(d) Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
5. What reason is there to obey a parent only because they are a parent?
(a) Out of a sense of duty.
(b) There is no reason.
(c) In order to have financial support.
(d) In order to submit to society's norms.
6. What does Wollstonecraft say should be the focus of public education?
(a) Preparing children to function in the world.
(b) Providing a religious foundation for children.
(c) Forming citizens.
(d) Keeping children off the streets during the day.
7. What does Wollstonecraft think about the old principles and ways of doing things in regards to parenting?
(a) She disagrees, but sees the value.
(b) She hates them.
(c) She feels the need to do more research before forming an opinion.
(d) She supports them.
8. What is the term that describes parents caring for children while they are young and children in turn caring for parents when they are elderly?
(a) Reciprocal duty.
(b) Familial duty.
(c) Duty to parents.
(d) Filial duty.
9. What does a woman need to be a good mother?
(a) Independence of the mind.
(b) The freedom to do as she wishes.
(c) A kind husband.
(d) Financial security.
10. What is separated from morality, according to Chapter 9?
11. From whom do women want respect, according to Wollstonecraft and Rousseau?
(b) their fathers.
(c) Other women.
(d) The world.
12. Parents who are blindly obeyed are usually obeyed out of _____.
13. What does Wollstonecraft say about modest men?
(a) They are presumptuous.
(b) They are timid.
(c) They are steady.
(d) They are passionate.
14. How are the husbands of meek wives portrayed?
(a) As wizards.
(b) As guides.
(c) As lions.
(d) As scarecrows.
15. According to Wollstonecraft, what is the only virtue given attention?
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Some Thoughts Concerning Education, may contribute to the weakness of women?
2. What will teach girls the lessons they will practice on their husbands?
3. What does Wollstonecraft say would be one measure of success for her educational system?
4. What types of people does Wollstonecraft criticize in the first section of Chapter 13?
5. Where do some women who do not love their husbands fix their attention?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)