|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wollstonecraft say should be the focus of public education?
(a) Forming citizens.
(b) Providing a religious foundation for children.
(c) Keeping children off the streets during the day.
(d) Preparing children to function in the world.
2. What women develop an over-fondness for dress?
(a) Savages as well as civilized women.
(b) The uneducated.
(d) Rich women.
3. What parents are able to extort a great deal of respect from their children?
(a) Indolent parents of high rank.
(b) Parents of high rank.
(c) Strict parents.
(d) Loving parents.
4. Who wrote Some Thoughts Concerning Education?
(a) John Locke.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Mary Wollstonecraft.
(d) Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
5. Who can get away with falling into sexual immorality?
(a) Married women.
(b) No one.
(c) Single women.
6. What often happens to boys who attend religious schools?
(a) They are unable to function outside of the church.
(b) They avoid worship services.
(c) They have trouble finding wives.
(d) They join the clergy.
7. What does Wollstonecraft say about modest men?
(a) They are presumptuous.
(b) They are timid.
(c) They are passionate.
(d) They are steady.
8. What do men think of chastity?
(a) They see it as a duty.
(b) They prize it.
(c) They despise it.
(d) They are indifferent toward it.
9. What virtue does Wollstonecraft describe as a kind of self-abasement?
10. What do women think of chastity?
(a) They see it as a duty.
(b) They despise it.
(c) They are indifferent toward it.
(d) They prize it.
11. What is a woman’s first duty?
(a) As a rational being.
(b) As a citizen.
(c) As a wife.
(d) As a mother.
12. What does Wollstonecraft say would be one measure of success for her educational system?
(a) Compassion for children.
(b) The pursuit of professions.
(c) Compassion for animals.
(d) The ability to hold intellectual conversations.
13. What is separated from morality, according to Chapter 9?
14. How are the husbands of meek wives portrayed?
(a) As guides.
(b) As lions.
(c) As scarecrows.
(d) As wizards.
15. What causes mothers to run into the extremes in their parenting?
(a) The whims of their husbands.
(b) Lack of reason.
(c) Peer pressure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason is there to obey a parent only because they are a parent?
2. What kind of governing can parents tend to, according to Chapter 10?
3. What subject do women shy away from reading?
4. When does character formation occur?
5. What, according to Some Thoughts Concerning Education, may contribute to the weakness of women?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)