|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tang and the nationalists feel the Paris agreement would give them an opportunity to do as described in Chapter 18?
(a) Proselytize to the Saigon regime.
(b) Increase the fears of partnership with the PRG.
(c) Get an agreement on paper.
(d) Fight externally for a settlement.
2. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
(a) An oil rig station.
(c) Poulo Condore.
(d) Galang Island.
3. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Human Liberation for the People."
(b) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(c) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(d) "Fighting and Talking."
4. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
(a) He showed good will intentions toward the PRG.
(b) He made it clear that he was ready for a coalition government.
(c) He went on the air over Radio Hanoi to announce the signing.
(d) He broadcast no intention of abiding by it.
5. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
(a) One of the brothers could become a spy.
(b) Family ties in the government gave the public reassurance about Tang.
(c) Tang could be viewed as a double agent.
(d) A brother's family could be held hostage in the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
2. What did Tang ask PRG President Phat concerning the directives established at the COSVN/PRG meeting in Chapter 22?
3. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
4. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
5. What was the NLF's response to Nixon's "Vietnamization"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
2. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
3. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
4. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
5. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
6. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
7. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
8. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
9. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
10. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)