|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
(a) To be trained in new techniques of warfare.
(b) To gather with the Communist Party leaders for a meeting.
(c) To have a long-awaiting vacation.
(d) To recuperate from illnesses.
2. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
(a) Continue to live in seclusion.
(b) Join an underground revolution.
(c) Join the government.
(d) Leave the country.
3. What did Tang's host want most to know from Tang during his visit to Budapest ?
(a) Whether he was happy to be gone from Russia.
(b) How much support Hungary could give the PRG.
(c) Why the Party was allying itself with the Soviets.
(d) Vietnam's position on the Sino-Soviet dispute.
4. What nearly derailed Tang and dozens of others with him of leaving the country by boat?
(a) A government soldier on a fishing boat grew suspicious.
(b) A monsoon hit them.
(c) The pirates on the ocean spotted them.
(d) The boat hit a sand bar and got stuck.
5. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
(a) A province near Saigon, Phuoc Long, had fallen.
(b) The troops in Saigon were filled with depression.
(c) Saigon had fallen.
(d) President Thieu had been deposed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
2. The taking of Saigon by Northern forces hinged upon the fall of which centrally located city?
3. What was the main goal of the Provisional Revolutionary Government, organized in 1969?
4. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
5. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
2. What did Nguyen Van Thieu make clear immediately upon Tran Van Lam's signing of the Paris accords?
3. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
4. What access to information did the leaders of the PRG have in the Maquis?
5. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
6. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
7. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
8. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
9. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
10. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)