|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tang respond when he is asked to join the new government in Vietnam?
(a) He refuses, voicing his objections to the government's stances.
(b) He declines, saying he is ill.
(c) He accepts and hopes to change the government from within.
(d) He accepts but never shows up to duty.
2. What was the reason behind the National Council of National Reconciliation and Concord as described in Article 9 of the Paris Accords?
(a) To engage Vietnam's military operatives.
(b) To isolate Thieu.
(c) To have Thieu retreat from dismantling his government.
(d) To resolve Vietnam's domestic problems through political means.
3. How could the importance of Tang's and his colleague's roles be measured in Chapter 16?
(a) How they were treated by the party.
(b) Who was promoted within the ranks.
(c) How many pairs of pajamas they received.
(d) By the salary raises they received.
4. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
(a) Guardian of the Pagoda.
(b) Proletariat Phat.
(c) Keeper of Bourgeois Reality.
(d) Humorless Madame Phat.
5. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
(a) The police had arrested his wife.
(b) His father had died.
(c) His brother, Quynh, was in the United States.
(d) His mother was ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang bring to the attention of DRV Prime Minister Dong in Chapter 22?
2. What did Article 9 of the Paris Accords call for the creation of?
3. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
4. Where did the Northern escape routes directly lead to?
5. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
2. What did Article 9 out of the Paris Accord call for the creation of?
3. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
4. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
5. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
6. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
7. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
8. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
9. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
10. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)