|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
(a) A soon-to-be-accomplished goal.
(c) Wistful and vague.
(d) Determined to win.
2. Why were the dates of June 6th through 8th chosen to organize the congress for the Provisional Revolutionary Government?
(a) The dates are anniversaries of grandparents' deaths.
(b) To upstage a Nixon-Thieu meeting being held on Midway Island.
(c) To honor Ho Chi Minh's birthday.
(d) To commemmorate the founding of the NLF.
3. What was the prime enemy of the guerrillas considered to be in the jungle?
(a) The Americans.
(c) The Saigon troops.
4. What was Tang's last official function in Algeria?
(a) Celebrating a victory with Prince Sihanouk.
(b) Having tea with Madame Binh.
(c) Congratulating the Khmer representative on the victory in Phnom Penh.
(d) Going to the funeral of Queen Kosamak.
5. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
(a) As a country of people to be saved.
(b) As an independent nation.
(c) With a view toward economic progress.
(d) As a pawn of strategy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
2. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
3. What did Tang hope to obtain upon his trip as part of the PRG's delegation at Algiers' independence celebration?
4. What American events attracted the attention of the nationalists in 1973?
5. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
2. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
3. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
4. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
5. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
6. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
7. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
8. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
9. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
10. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)