|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(b) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(c) "Human Liberation for the People."
(d) "Fighting and Talking."
2. Where were Tang's brothers, Quynh and Bich, sent on June 16, 1975?
(a) To a Soviet camp.
(b) To Saigon General Hospital.
(c) To their own reeducation points.
(d) To Hanoi.
3. As long as American strength supported the Saigon government, how did the NLF feel about the idea of total victory?
(a) A soon-to-be-accomplished goal.
(c) Determined to win.
(d) Wistful and vague.
4. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
(a) Their access to information.
(b) The absence of fear.
(c) The extra pairs of pajamas they received.
(d) Their extra food rations.
5. Why did the PRG believe that having Tang's brothers working for the South Vietnamese government might help their cause?
(a) Family ties in the government gave the public reassurance about Tang.
(b) Tang could be viewed as a double agent.
(c) A brother's family could be held hostage in the future.
(d) One of the brothers could become a spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What statement did Henry Kissinger make in a 1968 "Foreign Affairs" article?
2. Who was the only professional sailor on board the boat Tang and his wife escaped on?
3. How many people have been freed from arrest since Tang's retirement in the summer of 1976, to his knowledge?
4. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
5. What was Tang's last official function in Algeria?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
2. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
3. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
4. What caused Tran Back Dang to lose acceptance and blight his career with the COSVN?
5. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
6. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
7. What did Nguyen Van Thieu make clear immediately upon Tran Van Lam's signing of the Paris accords?
8. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
9. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
10. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)