|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tang and his wife move back to Saigon in Chapter 24?
(a) The revoluionaries were in the city.
(b) They missed their family.
(c) To plan an escape.
(d) They were bored in the country.
2. What does elephant taste like according to Tang?
(a) Like chicken.
(b) A tasty morsel if eaten quickly.
(c) Like a rare delicacy.
(d) Tasteless and tough as old shoes.
3. What was the American Senate's Hatfield amendment?
(a) It required the withdrawal of troops in return for the release of POWs.
(b) It gave funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(c) It prohibited funds for American operations in Cambodia and Laos.
(d) An increase in air raids in order to finish the war.
4. What was the reason behind the National Council of National Reconciliation and Concord as described in Article 9 of the Paris Accords?
(a) To resolve Vietnam's domestic problems through political means.
(b) To isolate Thieu.
(c) To have Thieu retreat from dismantling his government.
(d) To engage Vietnam's military operatives.
5. What nearly derailed Tang and dozens of others with him of leaving the country by boat?
(a) A government soldier on a fishing boat grew suspicious.
(b) The boat hit a sand bar and got stuck.
(c) A monsoon hit them.
(d) The pirates on the ocean spotted them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang do at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria to insult the Soviets?
2. What was life like for the PRG in general?
3. Upon Tang's return to Hanoi in Chapter 20, what does he encounter in the city he has not visited for thirty years?
4. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
5. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
2. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
3. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
4. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
5. How did the members of the PRG survive and live in their rough circumstances?
6. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
7. What did Nguyen Van Thieu make clear immediately upon Tran Van Lam's signing of the Paris accords?
8. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
9. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
10. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)