|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
(a) They feted the Party and ignored the PRG.
(b) They showed fervid public enthusiasm at America's humiliation.
(c) They showed a lack of manners when refusing to acknowledge the PRG.
(d) They cheered on America's military greatness in his presence.
2. Where did the Northern escape routes directly lead to?
(b) The Ho Chi Minh Trail.
(d) Cambodia's Pre Veng Province.
3. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Stay in school at all costs.
(b) Refuse visits with family and friends.
(c) Take jobs within the military.
(d) Attend military and training exercises.
4. What nickname did Madame Phat receive after she spoke of her debt of gratitude to the Party?
(a) Keeper of Bourgeois Reality.
(b) Humorless Madame Phat.
(c) Guardian of the Pagoda.
(d) Proletariat Phat.
5. What position in the Provisional Revolutionary Government did Tang receive?
(a) Minister of the Interior.
(b) Foreign Minister.
(c) Cabinet Secretary.
(d) Minister of Justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What announcement did Le Duan make at the joint meeting of the politburo and central military committee in 1975?
2. How could the significance of the Alliance and the PRG be substantially reenhanced?
3. What happened when the city of Hue was taken by the NLF and Northern troops in January, 1968?
4. In Chapter 21, what did Tang discover when he arrived in Saigon and telephoned his parents at his older brother's home?
5. Upon Tang's visit to Moscow from Algiers, what did his anticipated "vacation" turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nguyen Van Thieu make clear immediately upon Tran Van Lam's signing of the Paris accords?
2. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
3. Why were Nixon and Kissinger unable to comprehend the issues in Vietnam that prevented an American success there?
4. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
5. Why did the imminent signing of a negotiation agreement in Paris fill Tang and the nationalist forces with hope and excitement?
6. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
7. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
8. How did the NLF gain the support of the local population near Kratie, along the western banks of the Mekong?
9. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
10. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)