|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were both Nixon and Kissinger unable to formulate policies that would frustrate the strategies of the North?
(a) They could not think about the war in the same way as their enemy could.
(b) They did not possess enough weaponry to overcome the North.
(c) The American press was against them.
(d) The policies involved only air raids.
2. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(b) "Human Liberation for the People."
(c) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(d) "Fighting and Talking."
3. What did Tang and his colleagues find to be the necessary connection between Marxism and independence?
(a) The role of the intelligentsia in the national revolution.
(b) The interdependence of class struggle.
(c) The war against imperialism.
(d) There was no necessary connection.
4. Where did Tang's escape by boat from Vietnam end up taking him to freedom?
(b) Galang Island.
(c) An oil rig station.
(d) Poulo Condore.
5. Why did Tang accept an appointment as director of the National Rubber Industry in Chapter 24?
(a) Because it made an excellent cover for him.
(b) He was bored and wanted prestige.
(c) He needed to work for money.
(d) His wife insisted he take the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tang undertake a long trip to Dresden, East Germany in Chapter 20?
2. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
3. When the Ho Chi Minh trail was originally blazed in 1959, how many kilometers were the fighters expected to be able to advance every day?
4. According to Tang in Chapter 16, how did America regard the country of Vietnam?
5. How did Nixon and Kissinger justify the Tet offensive bombings and invasion of Cambodia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
2. Why was Prince Sihanouk's removal as head of the Cambodian government a source of anxiety for the NLF?
3. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
4. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
5. What did Presidential Minister Tran Buu Kiem whisper to Tang during one the last general meetings involving the leadership of the NLF, PRG, the alliance, and the mass organizations?
6. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
7. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
8. What was the theme of the seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG leaders in Kratie?
9. What access to information did the leaders of the PRG have in the Maquis?
10. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)