|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
(a) Join the government.
(b) Join an underground revolution.
(c) Continue to live in seclusion.
(d) Leave the country.
2. In the elections of 1976, what did the police do to anyone who did not vote?
(a) Brought them to the voting centers.
(b) Confiscated their ration card.
(c) Threatened their life.
(d) Deported them.
3. What new means of transportation was Vietnam inundated with in 1969 and 1970?
(b) Japanese motorbikes.
(d) Itallian bicycles.
4. Why did Tang accept an appointment as director of the National Rubber Industry in Chapter 24?
(a) He needed to work for money.
(b) His wife insisted he take the job.
(c) Because it made an excellent cover for him.
(d) He was bored and wanted prestige.
5. What were most of the Southern guerrillas pressing hard for in Chapter 18?
(a) A fundamental split in the revolution.
(b) Le Duan's expertise in manipulation during Paris talks.
(c) A commitment to reconciliation.
(d) Internal propaganda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hai Thuan, a Southern cadre of the Vietminh in its war against the French, do in Chapter 22?
2. What did the Western delegates at the International Association of Democratic Jurists in Algeria do to surprise Tang in Chapter 20?
3. What did Tang consider to be the "fourth front" for the NLF's cause?
4. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
5. What did the Party ideologues decide the NLF troops should do for three months in Kratie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
2. When Tang arrived in Hanoi in 1974, after a thirty-year absence, what conditions did he encounter?
3. When Tang visited Budapest in Chapter 20, what might be said to have been the motives of the Budapest government while they treated Tang to a visitor's tour and comforts?
4. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
5. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
6. How did the COSVN/PRG decide to deal with their recent enemies of the South at the end of the war?
7. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
8. What was the goal of Nixon's "Vietnamization," according to the NLF?
9. Why does Tang come out of retirement and return to Saigon?
10. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)