|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thieu force university and high school students to do in 1970?
(a) Attend military and training exercises.
(b) Refuse visits with family and friends.
(c) Stay in school at all costs.
(d) Take jobs within the military.
2. What set the PRG leaders apart from the rest of the organization?
(a) Their access to information.
(b) Their extra food rations.
(c) The absence of fear.
(d) The extra pairs of pajamas they received.
3. What was the motto for Dung's opportune moment of a campaign on the assault of Saigon in April, 1974?
(a) "Public Enthusiasm and Western Humiliation At All Costs."
(b) "Fighting and Talking."
(c) "Marvelous Speed, Boldness, Surprise, and Certain Victory."
(d) "Human Liberation for the People."
4. What did the term "neutralize" mean within the context of the Phoenix Program?
(a) To let sleep.
(b) To kill.
(c) To save at all costs.
(d) To leave alone.
5. What did Nguyen Van Thieu do upon his foreign minister's signing of a peace accord?
(a) He broadcast no intention of abiding by it.
(b) He made it clear that he was ready for a coalition government.
(c) He showed good will intentions toward the PRG.
(d) He went on the air over Radio Hanoi to announce the signing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was responsible for Tang's daughter, Loan, being able to do to college in America?
2. On the day of celebration at Independence Palace Square to celebrate the Vietnamese victory at last, which military units were the last to appear in the parade?
3. In what way did the Saigon forces utilize the PRG's relative passivity to their advantage in Chapter 18?
4. What did the vice president of the Chinese State Council do concerning the PRG in order to express their feelings about Hanoi's ongoing affiliation with the Soviets?
5. What did Tang ultimately decide to do about the Communist takeover of his land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did General Trung mean when he joked that "even though we ran like hell, still we'll win" in regard to the NLF's retreat from the southern Cambodian border?
2. How did Tang come to the difficult conclusion that he had to leave Vietnam after all he had been through?
3. How had the Ho Chi Minh Trail changed from when it was first created in 1959 until Tang returned to travel it in 1974?
4. Five years after the Communist Party's seminars given to the Alliance/NLF/PRG forces in Kratie, what did Tang come to realize about the cadre's assaults and the party leaders' consequent respect for the nationalist's views?
5. At the celebration for the victory of the North in Saigon, Tang asked Van Tien Dung where his Vietcong divisions one, three, five, seven, and nine are. What was his answer?
6. Why had escaping Vietnam by boat become a great topic of conversation in the first days following northern liberation?
7. What did the NLF fighters do when they were not fighting or sick?
8. In what ways did Thieu antagonize students and workers in 1970s Saigon?
9. What was the new attitude seen first from the North toward the alliance as exhibited in Chapter 16?
10. What became of Tang's two brothers, both of whom had stayed in Saigon throughout the war?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)