Chapters One through Three
* Truong Nhu Tang's description of his childhood is called the "family cocoon."
* Tang and his brothers attend a French school, following in their French-educated father's footsteps.
* When a revolution takes place in Saigon in 1945, Tang joins the "Jeunesse d'Advant-Garde," or the "Vanguard Youth."
* Tang meets and falls in love with a girl, and the two families support the match.
* Tang goes away to school in Paris and is among a group of students who meet Ho Chi Minh.
* Tang is taken with the man who instructs the students to call him "Uncle Ho."
* Tang begins an in-depth study into the politics of Vietnam.
* Tang is cut off from his family, including his wife and child.
Chapters Four though Six
* Tang receives word from his father that the family business is in serious trouble.
* Tang, as the only of the six sons who has graduated...
This section contains 1,714 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)