|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Hume state is an artificial virtue?
2. When does Hume say self-interested motives can be taken to be virtuous?
3. Why does Hume say we admire the rich and the powerful?
4. Who does Hume say must be bound to family in order for it to work?
5. What does Hume say are the two types of reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hume reject all other moral theories?
2. Why does Hume claim women need a sentiment of chastity?
3. How does Hume divide direct passions?
4. How does Hume define artificial virtues?
5. Summarize Book Two.
6. Why does Hume say justice must be moral?
7. Why does Hume think reason is the slave of the passions?
8. How does Hume define natural virtues?
9. Why does Hume state that morality is not based on reason?
10. How does Hume define will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hume break down morals? Why does Hume think morals are unnatural? What effect do morals have on the way humans think?
Essay Topic 2
What are philosophical relations? How does Hume use philosophical relations to help us understand how our mind works?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is reason the slave of the passions? Why doesn't Hume think reason can direct the will? What according to Hume's idea would happen if the will was determined by reason?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)