|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hume say is the only thing that can make uncaused choices?
2. What system does Hume say is absurd?
3. What two cities does Hume use in his example of why it is difficult to form accurate impressions?
4. What does Hume claim should not be arrived at instinctively?
5. What is the title of Book Two, Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument did Malezieu propose in terms of space and time?
2. What is the difference between responsive and productive passions?
3. What are Dr. Clarke's views on cause and effect?
4. Why is resemblance so important in terms of relation?
5. Why does Hume think we love the rich and admire only people we know?
6. How does Hume define passions?
7. In terms of philosophy what is empiricism?
8. How does Hume claim the mind perceives time?
9. What does Hume think are the two ways objects can exist?
10. How does Hume claim the mind perceives space?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hume think of metaphysics and religion and why does he hold that opinion? In what way could Hume's ideas be seen as an argument against religious belief?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hume break down passions? Why does Hume think passions help in understanding the world around us?
Essay Topic 3
Write an example that clarifies each of Hume's following ideas.
1. Cause and effect.
2. The difference between recalling events in the mind and the imagination.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)