|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hume think it is impossible to believe in a God?
2. What does Hume say impressions can't tell us?
3. Which of the following best describes Hume's fork principle?
4. The second truth in Hume's fork principle deals with what?
5. By what does Hume say cousins are connected?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hume think it is pointless to wonder about the external world?
2. What does Hume say are simple perceptions?
3. In terms of philosophy what is empiricism?
4. How does Hume define passions?
5. What is the microscope principle?
6. Define skepticism.
7. What is the razor principle?
8. What are Dr. Clarke's views on cause and effect?
9. How does Hume divide the different kinds of philosophical relations?
10. What is the difference between responsive and productive passions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way did Hume's ideas go against 18th century values? How did Hume try to win over the critics?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is reason the slave of the passions? Why doesn't Hume think reason can direct the will? What according to Hume's idea would happen if the will was determined by reason?
Essay Topic 3
What does skepticism mean in a philosophical context? In what ways could Hume be called a skeptic? What philosophers are non-skeptics and what problems would they have with Hume's ideas in this book?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)