|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hume says impressions are divided into what?
2. Hume thinks it is pointless to wonder about the existence of what?
3. Which is the following is the best definition of the razor principle?
4. What does Hume say helps us produce belief?
5. What does Hume say is the only thing that can make uncaused choices?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between responsive and productive passions?
2. How does Hume claim an idea is formed?
3. Of what does Hume claim a substance is made up?
4. What are Dr. Clarke's views on cause and effect?
5. What is contiguity within the context of cause and effect?
6. Define skepticism.
7. What does Hume think are the two ways objects can exist?
8. Why is resemblance so important in terms of relation?
9. What are Hume's views on causation?
10. How does Hume define passions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hume break down morals? Why does Hume think morals are unnatural? What effect do morals have on the way humans think?
Essay Topic 2
What is Hume's opinion on human virtues? How do they help to govern us and what would society be like if it was not populated with individuals with virtue?
Essay Topic 3
Write an example that clarifies each of Hume's following ideas.
1. Cause and effect.
2. The difference between recalling events in the mind and the imagination.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)