|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hume define responsive passions?
(a) As those that react to the external world.
(b) As those that react to sympathy.
(c) As those that react to feelings of love.
(d) As those that react to productive passions.
2. What does Book One cover regarding human nature?
3. What fruit does Hume use as an example to show our inability to form a just idea without testing it first?
(a) A banana.
(b) A peach.
(c) An orange.
(d) A pineapple.
4. For what does Hume think people mistake their perceptions?
5. Which of the following is unreliable in terms of perceiving things?
6. Which of the following best fits Hume's idea of perception?
(a) All objects are mere perceptions and have no reality.
(b) What we see is our reality.
(c) We all shape our own reality.
(d) No objects are real if we can see them.
7. What does Hume claim should not be arrived at instinctively?
(a) Matters of fact.
(b) Matters of love.
(c) Matters of religion.
(d) Matters of science.
8. What idea does Hume claim is intelligible?
9. What kind of image does Hume say will be presented if one wheels around a burning coal with rapidity?
(a) A circle of fire.
(b) A burning pole.
(c) Whatever your imagination allows.
(d) A reddish orange blur.
10. What is the title of Book Two, Part Two?
(a) Of Passioned Senses.
(b) Of Laughter.
(c) Of Sympathy.
(d) Of Love and Hatred.
11. Which of the following best describes Hume's idea of a definition?
(a) Something we have been told as children and have grown to believe.
(b) Something that comes from the universal truth.
(c) Something that is trivially true.
(d) Something that is formed from our own ideas.
12. Hume thinks it is pointless to wonder about the existence of what?
(a) The perfect man or woman for ourselves.
(b) The internal world.
(c) The nuclear family.
(d) The external world and external objects.
13. Which of the following passions does Hume call a bodily feeling?
14. What system does Hume say is absurd?
(a) The chemistry point system.
(b) The German grammar system.
(c) The mathematical points system.
(d) The English grammar system.
15. What is the title of Book Two, Part One?
(a) Of Passions.
(b) Of Sympathy.
(c) Of Moral Judgement.
(d) Of Pride and Humility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is another term used for passions?
2. Which is the following is the best definition of the razor principle?
3. What does Hume say is a disagreeable impression?
4. By what does Hume say cousins are connected?
5. What does Hume say is the only thing that can cause us to act?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)