|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is she able to do her project in the hotel?
2. What does Harman say about the town of Willstown now that Jean is there?
3. When does Harman take Jean to Midhurst to see where he lives?
4. What has Jean purchased for her Sunday visit at Midhurst?
5. What does Strachan send to Jean in Willstown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it easy to recruit new workers for the shoe factory?
2. What is Jean's cover story about why she is looking for Harman?
3. In Daly Waters, describe what Jean sees for the first time.
4. Describe the opening ceremony for the well and laundry room Jean has provided the village.
5. What does Jean discover about Harman in Alice Springs?
6. While Jean is looking for Joe in Australia, what is Joe doing?
7. Briefly describe poddy dodging.
8. Why are reporters waiting around the airport at Darwin?
9. Briefly describe the town of Cairns.
10. What consideration do both Jean and Joe have about each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the dynamics of growth for a community. Using Willstown as an example, explain the growth in terms of available jobs, the ratio of girls and ringers (cowboys), and opportunities for future development. A reverse approach to this topic might also include how once thriving cities and towns begin to deteriorate when businesses fold or relocate to another area or country.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about vocabulary differences in English speaking countries. Use Australian words such as bore, cattle station, walkabout, and others in the novel to illustrate the point that language changes from culture to culture. Note in your essay that English as the second language of the world is constantly being altered by the introduction of usage influenced by other languages. End with your opinion of what is good or bad about different meanings for the same words in other countries.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on human cruelty. Use the crucifixion of Joe Harman as an example of the extent some people will go to in order to harm other people. In your essay express your opinion whether most people have that ability to be cruel in them. Go into what causes some people to be cruel to others and what the results of that kind of behavior often are like the eventual disgrace of Capt. Sugamo.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)