|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is some of the hot water used?
2. What is the Casket?
3. When Jean and the Bowens pass by the tree where Joe had been nailed, what do they see?
4. What does Jean write to Mr. Strachan about her plans?
5. In Darwin, what does she say Joe Harman is and why she is looking for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harman not recognize Jean at first when she goes to the airport to meet him?
2. After confiding with the Sawyers her real reason for looking up Joe Harman, what is Jean's denial?
3. Why does Jean stay outside the bar while Joe and Whelan discuss leasing agreements with the Shire Clerk?
4. Briefly describe the town of Cairns.
5. Briefly describe Jean's shoe making project.
6. What is Jean's cover story about why she is looking for Harman?
7. How is Jean helped in finding out information about Joe Harman?
8. Why does Jean fly to Australia?
9. What is the bore and what use do the people make of it?
10. What does Jean discover about Harman in Alice Springs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about responding to emergency situations. Using the rescue of Don Curtis as an example, include how people often come together to solve problems during an emergency situation. Some examples might include ones like a man who lifts a car to rescue his child when under normal circumstances he could not do it. Either personalize your essay with an example when you responded to an emergency situation or that of a person you know who acted on impulse in such a situation. Apply your theme to being prepared to respond like taking CPR classes or water safety classes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about adjusting to difficult situations. Mention how Jean and the women had to adjust to being prisoners and later working in the rice paddies. Write about how Jean adjusted to Willstown and how the town adjusted to her. Conclude with the idea that at any given time, people may have to adjust to difficult situations. Identify appropriate action and behavior in a specific bad situation like being in a strange place and running out of money. Detail how to best deal with such a circumstance.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on male chauvinism using Douglas Macfadden as an example of prejudice against women as business managers. Include whether you think such thinking still exists today. Examples you might want to use include the small number of women managers and CEOs in business today. Discuss the chauvinism in disproportionate pay for the same work.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)