|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Mr. Small estimate it will cost to build her building?
2. Who is Joe Popcock that Jean meets at her hotel while talking to the ringers?
3. What is the Casket?
4. Who are David and Joyce Bowen?
5. Where does Rose Sawyer work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Learning in Alice Springs that Joe is all right and able to work, why does Jean not just return to England?
2. Why does Harman not recognize Jean at first when she goes to the airport to meet him?
3. What is Jean's cover story about why she is looking for Harman?
4. How is Jean helped in finding out information about Joe Harman?
5. After confiding with the Sawyers her real reason for looking up Joe Harman, what is Jean's denial?
6. Why are reporters waiting around the airport at Darwin?
7. Why does Jean stay outside the bar while Joe and Whelan discuss leasing agreements with the Shire Clerk?
8. Why are the people anxious for Jean to open a shoe factory in Willstown?
9. In Daly Waters, describe what Jean sees for the first time.
10. Why does Jean fly to Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how certain places or objects bring back memories, either good or bad. As a starting point, use the example of Jean seeing the tree where Harman was nailed up to die. Give examples from your personal life that trigger memories when you see or hear them. What songs were popular when you had your first steady? What place you visit that always brings back memories like your old high school, or a ball park, or an amusement park.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short short story about paying a surprise visit to another person only to find out that person has gone to visit you in the place you came from. Find the humor as well as the irony of the situation and work out a solution to the problem.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on achieving your dreams. Note in your essay how Jean Paget fulfilled her dreams through hard work and good advice from others. In your essay discuss the difference between wishful thinking and dreams followed up by planning and hard work.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)