|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sugamo order that Harman be removed from the tree and taken to a hospital?
2. Who remembers the poor boy Joe Harman who was in the hospital for 3-4 months?
3. What does Strachan research about Jean's ancestors?
4. How much does Jean request Strachan release from her trust fund?
5. What does Jean see for the first time on the coral island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the people anxious for Jean to open a shoe factory in Willstown?
2. Why does Jean stay outside the bar while Joe and Whelan discuss leasing agreements with the Shire Clerk?
3. What is going on at Midhurst when news arrives about Don Curtis' disappearance?
4. In Daly Waters, describe what Jean sees for the first time.
5. What is the bore and what use do the people make of it?
6. Describe the outback custom Jean learns that shows her determination to fit in and settle there.
7. Briefly describe the town of Cairns.
8. Why does Jean fly to Australia?
9. Why is it easy to recruit new workers for the shoe factory?
10. What does Jean discover about Harman in Alice Springs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on male chauvinism using Douglas Macfadden as an example of prejudice against women as business managers. Include whether you think such thinking still exists today. Examples you might want to use include the small number of women managers and CEOs in business today. Discuss the chauvinism in disproportionate pay for the same work.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short short story about paying a surprise visit to another person only to find out that person has gone to visit you in the place you came from. Find the humor as well as the irony of the situation and work out a solution to the problem.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about travel. Begin with Strachan's trip to Australia and mention Joe's and Jean's plans to visit San Francisco. In your essay talk about the value of traveling to other countries and conclude with countries you would like to visit. If you have traveled to another country, explain what you got out of the experience. If you have not traveled to another country, explain what you hope to get out of it when you do. Conclude your essay with the ambassadorship of common people getting to know people from other cultures.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)