|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rose Sawyer work?
(a) in a dress shop
(b) in the milk bar
(c) in the bank
(d) at the hotel
2. Why do townspeople hope that Jean will put in a shoe manufacturing business?
(a) to put their town on the map
(b) to have something to brag about
(c) to keep their daughters from running away to the city
(d) to encourage other businesses to come to the area
3. How many girls does Small think would work regularly for £5 a week in a shoe factory?
(a) 6 or 7 immediately
(b) 20 or 30 immediately
(c) 3 or 4 immediately
(d) 9 or 10 after they are trained
4. What does Strachan notice and cannot help but look at?
(a) Joe's round face
(b) Joe's dark brown eyes
(c) Joe's scarred hands
(d) Joe's thin physique
5. What is the Casket?
(a) the Australian lottery
(b) the slang name for Willstown
(c) the mail plane to Queensland
(d) the combination hotel and mortuary
Short Answer Questions
1. In Darwin, what does she say Joe Harman is and why she is looking for him?
2. Who is Joe Popcock that Jean meets at her hotel while talking to the ringers?
3. Besides the well, what has Jean caused to be built?
4. Why does Jean sit on the steps outside the bar while Whelan seals the contract with the Shire Clerk?
5. Although Jean is not pleased with the finished product, how do the townspeople respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. After confiding with the Sawyers her real reason for looking up Joe Harman, what is Jean's denial?
2. How does Jean find Midhurst where Joe lives and works?
3. Explain what Jean learns on her trip to Kuala Telang to have a well dug for the women there.
4. How was Joe Harman able to travel to England?
5. Briefly describe the town of Cairns.
6. Briefly describe poddy dodging.
7. What consideration do both Jean and Joe have about each other?
8. Learning in Alice Springs that Joe is all right and able to work, why does Jean not just return to England?
9. What does Jean discover about Harman in Alice Springs?
10. Why does Harman not recognize Jean at first when she goes to the airport to meet him?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)