|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing the suntanned Jean with a baby on her hip, what does Harman think she is?
(a) a Malay spy
(b) the wife of one of the Japanese
(c) a servant girl
(d) a Malay married woman
2. Because of his punishment, what does the religious Mrs. Frith decide about Joe Harman?
(a) that he was sent by God
(b) that he must have sinned
(c) that he was another Moses
(d) that he is a second Christ
3. What is the somewhat odd thing Jean wants to do first with her money?
(a) buy her own cottage
(b) return to Malaya and dig a well
(c) go shopping in Paris
(d) visit Alice Springs, Australia
4. After landing her job in 1939, how long does Jean work?
(a) 18 months
(b) one year
(c) two years
(d) six months
5. Why does Jean miss the evacuation to Singapore?
(a) the ship to Singapore never arrives
(b) the car breaks down on the way
(c) she does not get the message
(d) the Japanese arrive earlier than expected
6. What is said to be at Kuantan where Nisui sends them next?
(a) a refugee center
(b) a ship for Indonesia
(c) a good woman's camp
(d) a factory where they can work
7. After walking to several places and finding no ship, what do the women decide to do?
(a) refuse to walk further
(b) walk to Singapore
(c) head for Thailand
(d) return to Kuala Lumpur
8. What does Eileen Holland declare is God's will?
(a) the poor quality of their food
(b) the news that her husband has been shot
(c) the death of her daughter, Jane
(d) the long miles of walking
9. Who is in the photograph Jean finds and shows to the dying sergeant?
(a) the Emperor of Japan
(b) a beautiful Japanese woman
(c) children playing on a beach
(d) a woman and four children
10. How does Harman get the supplies Jean asks for?
(a) trading some Japanese petrol from the trucks
(b) trading his wristwatch
(c) saying the supplies are for the Japanese
(d) stealing from a shop keeper
11. Where was the legacy to go originally?
(a) to Jean Paget herself
(b) to Jean Paget's first cousin
(c) to Jean Paget's mother
(d) to Jean Paget's older brother
12. Why does Douglas Macfadden want his legacy set up as a trust for his surviving relative?
(a) he believes women cannot handle money
(b) he is not sure where she is
(c) he does not want to give all at once what he accumulated over a long time
(d) he thinks only lawyers should handle his fortune
13. What happens to Ellen Forbes?
(a) she comes down with malaria
(b) she disappears
(c) she gets pregnant
(d) she marries a Japanese soldier
14. What solution do the women come up with to allow them to stay in Kuala Telang?
(a) they will open a laundry for the Japanese
(b) they will work in the rice paddies with the Malay women
(c) they will hide whenever the Japanese come around
(d) they will marry village men
15. What does Mrs. Warner provide for the children?
(a) a soccer ball made from palm leaves
(b) school lessons on free days
(c) dolls and toys make from bamboo
(d) sweets made from cocount sugar
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the unusual situation of the women when the sergeant dies?
2. How does Jean Paget think about Harman had they met under other circumstances?
3. Who exits the large Customs launch Jean hopes will take her to singapore?
4. What is Mrs. Frith's suggestion for the group?
5. What do the villagers at Temerloh give what is left of the group?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)