|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are they told they must get to Singapore?
(a) by trucks
(b) by plane
(c) on foot
(d) by train
2. What do they find when they reach Maran?
(a) a tarmac road
(b) an abandoned village
(c) banana trees
(d) a mango orchard
3. What chore does Jean take on on the way to Bakri?
(a) carrying Eileen's baby
(b) translating for the Japanese
(c) keeping a count of the group
(d) leading the group
4. What is the length of Jean's funds being held in trust?
(a) until she is 28
(b) until she marries
(c) until she is 35
(d) until she is 40
5. What prevents Jean from receiving the inheritance immediately?
(a) they must have legal proof of her sanity
(b) they must have legal proof of her birth
(c) they must have legal proof of her brother's death
(d) they must have legal proof of her immigration status
6. What does Jean buy at Ayer Penchis?
(b) potato chips
(c) beef jerky
(d) dried squid
7. Up to this point in her life, what is it Jean doubts she will ever do?
(a) buy a small house
(b) shop at Harrod's
(c) marry, attend university, or travel
(d) see the Queen
8. What puzzles Strachan about Jean Paget?
(a) why her skin is so dark
(b) why she returned to england
(c) why she is not married
(d) why she never tried to find her uncle
9. What does Jean learn at an early age that is very helpful to her during the war?
(a) to speak Japanese
(b) to survive off the land
(c) to speak Malay
(d) to give first aid
10. What helps clear up some of their skin diseases?
(a) rest and shade under the trees
(b) the salt water and fresh fish
(c) juice they make from tree bark
(d) soap and salt water
11. How long does Jean say the women stayed in Kuala Telang?
(a) another two years
(b) six or seven months
(c) three wasted years
(d) eighteen months
12. What does Yoniata promise the women after seeing their condition?
(a) new shoes
(b) better food
(c) a truck
(d) a week's rest
13. After walking to several places and finding no ship, what do the women decide to do?
(a) head for Thailand
(b) walk to Singapore
(c) return to Kuala Lumpur
(d) refuse to walk further
14. How does Harman get the supplies Jean asks for?
(a) saying the supplies are for the Japanese
(b) trading his wristwatch
(c) stealing from a shop keeper
(d) trading some Japanese petrol from the trucks
15. How had the women been carrying Ben collard?
(a) on their backs
(b) in a small wagon
(c) on a litter
(d) on a travois
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Frith's suggestion for the group?
2. What doe the Japanese soldiers do to help the group?
3. By Asahan, how many of the women have died?
4. How does Jean Paget think about Harman had they met under other circumstances?
5. Why does the lawyer Strachan not remember Douglas Macfadden at first?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)