|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 21 | Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake Brigance view the Carl Lee Hailey murder trial?
(a) Solely as an opportunity to help a person of color.
(b) With a four-year-old daughter of his own, he feels merely empathy.
(c) An opportunity to earn money.
(d) As his ticket to the big time.
2. How does Carl Lee compare killing the white men who raped his daughter with killing the "gooks" in Vietnam?
(a) He regrets the killing in Clanton.
(b) He feels worse about the killing in Vietnam.
(c) He feels worse about the killing in Mississippi.
(d) He feels killing both situations were equally necessary.
3. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He does some paperwork.
(c) He yells angily and tosses a sofa pillow at the TV.
(d) He orders pizza.
4. Sheriff Walls is concerned about Carl Lee's safety and comes up with what plan for transporting him to the courthouse on the day of his preliminary hearing?
(a) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported in another cruiser for reporters to follow.
(b) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him transported with Carl Lee.
(c) Finds a prisoner resembling Carl Lee, and has him break and run for reporters to chase.
(d) Has Carl Lee dressed as deputy with toy gun in holster, and transported in the front seat of cruiser.
5. When a Memphis TV crew requests to be allowed to film the trial, what does Judge Willard Bullard do?
(a) Grants them permission so long as they do not interfere with proceedings.
(b) Advises they may only film inside the courtroom, they may not broadcast.
(c) Advises they may film, but it will all be reviewed by the county prosecutor.
(d) Instructs the county courtroom deputy, Mr. Pate, to throw them out.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sunday after Jake gets fired, he and Carla skip church and take Hanna where?
2. Following Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, what does Jake attempt to do in the interview with New York Times reporter McKittrick?
3. After being threatened by Marsharfsky, Jake does what?
4. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
5. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)