|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9 | Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carl Lee Hailey feel his chances are, now that he has been arrested and charged with two counts of murder?
(a) Hoping, but not expecting much in a predominantly white community.
(b) He is not as confident as Jake Briance was on TV.
(c) He is moderately confident, never hoping for too much.
(d) He is confident Jake Brigance will get him off, as he did his brother.
2. How old is Tonya?
3. What three individuals were aware of what would likely take place, so the double murder does not surprise them?
(a) Ozzie Walls, Jake Brigance, Carl Lee Hailey.
(b) Lester Hailey, Jake Brigance, Judge Bullard.
(c) Ozzie Walls, K.T. "Cat" Bruster, Deputy Looney.
(d) Carla Brigance, Pete Willard, Billy Ray Cobb.
4. When Lucien Wilbanks inherited the family law firm in 1965, what does he keep?
(a) A brank new Ford Mustang.
(b) His father's entire legal staff.
(c) His father's favorite hunting rifles.
(d) His father's favorite secretary, Ethel Twitty.
5. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(b) They might find he was temporarily insane.
(c) They might not be able to come to a decision.
(d) They might not indict.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many murder trials has Jake Brigance served as the defense counsel prior to the preliminary hearing for Billy Ray Cobb and Pete Willard?
2. Jake Brigance advises deputies that Billy Ray Cobb could receive life plus 40 years if he is convicted on all charges, and could be paroled how soon if Tonya lives?
3. What is Carla's reply when Jake asks her if she would convict Carl Lee Hailey for murdering Billy Ray Cobb if she were a jury member?
4. When Jake Brigance confides in Sheriff Walls that Carl Lee Hailey may be planning the murder of Cobb and Willard, what do they speculate about how they might feel?
5. Who begs Sheriff Ozzie Walls to reopen the local "tonks"?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)