|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early Sunday morning, the day before the trial opens, Jake is awakened on the law office couch by what?
(a) Large, national TV vehicles vying for best position around Clanton Square.
(b) The telephone continuosly ringing.
(c) Sounds of the National Guard taking position in Clanton Square.
(d) Ellen knocking persistently on the office door.
2. Who is wounded when Jake is escorted from his office to the courthouse on Friday morning, the fifth day?
(b) A National Guardsman.
(d) Deputy Nesbit.
3. Jake knows Judge Noose will feel how about the National Guard being called in?
(a) Understanding it is the mayor's job to ensure city safety, not the judge's.
(b) Furious that he was not consulted.
(c) Glad that another measure to ensure safety was taken.
(d) Wishing he had been consulted, but not upset.
4. On the day before Carl Lee's preliminary hearing, Jake, knowing the grand jurors are not yet selected and will likely see this news broadcast on TV that evening, reminds interviewers of what?
(a) They might rule it took place in the heat of the moment.
(b) They might not indict.
(c) They might find he was temporarily insane.
(d) They might not be able to come to a decision.
5. After Ozzie summons Jake to meet with Lester and Carl Lee and Carl Lee rehires Jake because his brother "wants me to," what does Carl Lee say?
(a) Carl Lee states he does not trust Jake, but trusts the Shark less.
(b) Carl Lee persists he is only following Lester's request.
(c) Carl Lee admits he trusts Jake, and wants his services.
(d) Carl Lee states the Sheriff has convinced him Jake is a good choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the members of the council of black ministers arrive for strategic planning regarding the NAACP defense of Carl Lee?
2. Where is Carl Lee seated during the change of venue hearing?
3. Why does Lucien advise Jake he needs to seek a change of venue?
4. When Jake informs Ellen of the threats received by phone, the bombing attempt, and other dangers the job may entail, what is her response?
5. The Hailey indictment is not mentioned on TV until a brief 10:00 p.m. news segment, so what is Jake's response?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)