|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An elderly contessa tells the German soldiers that the villa is a _________ and that il maggiore is trapped in Milan.
2. What does Renzo want Santino to build for a German engineering firm?
3. Who is the new head of the civil engineering group that will rebuild the town?
4. Conflicting ________ are dropped by the Germans and the Allies, leading to rumors in the area.
5. Who does Renzo give British money and a letter to?
Short Essay Questions
1. By August, what is Renzo able to do after his injury?
2. What happens to Simon Henley's plane during the conflict with the German planes?
3. What has little Angelo Soncini realized about his position at the boarding school?
4. Who is Osvaldo now driving a car for?
5. What does Renzo return to reveal to the others?
6. What does Renzo do once he realizes he has no one to live for now that the war is over?
7. Why does Duno know how to care for the injured?
8. Why has Jakub Landau been caught at the German checkpoint?
9. What are being dropped from the sky, causing rumors to ravage Italy?
10. Why does Artur almost shoot a young boy he sees while sitting out with Renzo/Ugo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the story is from the quote: "No matter how dark the tapestry God weaves for us, there's always a thread of grace." This seems to be the perfect way to assemble the images and the emotions of the story.
Part 1: In what ways does the story show that the tapestry God weaves is dark?
Part 2: What are some examples of grace in this story?
Part 3: In what ways has your perception of grace changed in reading this story?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Mirella is confusing at times.
Part 1: Describe the character of Mirella.
Part 2: Why do you think Mirella decides to marry Iacopo?
Part 3: What does the character of Mirella seem to say about women during this time?
Essay Topic 3
When Tomitz is interrogated, he realizes this questioning is about control and this helps him better understand what he needs to do.
Part 1: Who is interrogating Tomitz and how did they capture him?
Part 2: What does Tomitz compare the interrogation to? Why?
Part 3: Do you agree with what Tomitz believes about his interrogation? Why or why not?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)