|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jakub laugh at when he is talking to Iacopo?
2. Who tells Simon he must rest one night here and then he can radio in the next day?
3. What does Renzo want Santino to build for a German engineering firm?
4. What is Italy hit with that helps in their resistance efforts in the war?
5. What does Simon tell himself not to do when he finds himself in a snowdrift and unable to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Renzo do once he realizes he has no one to live for now that the war is over?
2. What makes the German soldiers stop looking through the laundry basket Claudia Cicala is carrying?
3. Who does Mirella turn away from her property, even though she generally takes in everyone she can?
4. Why does Artur almost shoot a young boy he sees while sitting out with Renzo/Ugo?
5. What has happened to Alberto Fiori, formerly Albery Blum?
6. Why has Jakub Landau been caught at the German checkpoint?
7. What was the real story behind the raping of the girl by the six German soldiers?
8. Who is Osvaldo now driving a car for?
9. What does Renzo return to reveal to the others?
10. What is the holiday that the United States and the Germans had hoped to meet in terms of ending the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The language barrier between the Brosslers and Goletta causes a potentially disastrous decision to be made.
Part 1: What happens between the Brosslers and Goletta?
Part 2: What is the decision that is made?
Part 3: How might Goletta or the Brosslers have overcome the language barrier?
Essay Topic 2
When Tomitz is interrogated, he realizes this questioning is about control and this helps him better understand what he needs to do.
Part 1: Who is interrogating Tomitz and how did they capture him?
Part 2: What does Tomitz compare the interrogation to? Why?
Part 3: Do you agree with what Tomitz believes about his interrogation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What's most interesting about this novel is the contradiction in beliefs and in the results of those beliefs. For example, Schramm is guilty of horrible things, but so is Renzo.
Part 1: What are Schramm's crimes within this novel and before the time of the novel?
Part 2: What are Renzo's crimes within this novel?
Part 3: How are these characters to be compared in terms of their guilt? Is one character more guiltier than the other? Why? Why not?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)