|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Duno treating, though he has Iacopo's help to do so?
2. Mirella is convinced that Hitler harbors an atypical __________.
3. Who has been promoted within the SS Walther Reinhardt Division?
4. Who did Landau once try to recruit for the CNL, though he was turned down?
5. What does Malcovato have unlimited access to which makes him a good person to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the holiday that the United States and the Germans had hoped to meet in terms of ending the war?
2. What does Santino see when he is on the crowded train?
3. What does Maria Avoni teach Simon Henley about as she takes him to his first camp?
4. What does Battista threaten Leto with when he tells him to tell the Germans who killed the five soliders?
5. By August, what is Renzo able to do after his injury?
6. Why does Artur almost shoot a young boy he sees while sitting out with Renzo/Ugo?
7. Why has Jakub Landau been caught at the German checkpoint?
8. What are Renzo and Schramm supervising together?
9. Who is Osvaldo now driving a car for?
10. What was the real story behind the raping of the girl by the six German soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lives the characters had to give up for their safety must be missed, or do the changes in their lives change their priorities?
Part 1: Describe the life of the Brosslers before the war.
Part 2: What is the life of the Brosslers like after they escape to the mountains?
Part 3: Do the Brosslers seem to miss their previous lives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Children also seem to play a minor, yet significant role in the story. They seem to be giving the story a subtext which is speaking more to the themes of the story.
Part 1: Who are some of the children mentioned?
Part 2: What were the fates of the children who were mentioned?
Part 3: What do you think the author is saying about youth and about new life?
Essay Topic 3
In today's world, the idea of resistance to a cause might be seen as terrorism instead of a partisan movement.
Part 1: Describe the actions of the resistance groups in this novel.
Part 2: Are the resistance groups effective in reaching their goals in this novel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you describe these resistance movements as terrorism? Why or why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)