|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Schramm wants to know if _________ go to heaven if they are too young or unable to reach a state of reason.
2. Schramm confesses to being part of the _________ program as part of Hitler's plan.
3. Who does Santino blame for the predicament of the Jews?
4. Klara believed that ________ stained her soul black.
5. Which character knows three languages, but wants to learn Italian now?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tomitz come to tell those at the Rabbi's house?
2. What does Santino tell the Blums to do in order to save themselves from the Germans?
3. Why did the bells at the church suddenly begin to ring?
4. What was the horrible event that happened to Klara Hitler which led to her immaculate home?
5. What do Hermann and Duno Brossler fight over that causes Duno to be slapped?
6. When Pierino stutters, what does Leto say in order to make him feel better about it?
7. Why was Leto allowed to go to school while others were not?
8. How does Schramm travel through German checkpoints?
9. What does Catarina Dolcino confess to Don Osvaldo that seems "funny" to him?
10. What does Werner Schramm apologize for when he finally runs into Osvaldo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The lives the characters had to give up for their safety must be missed, or do the changes in their lives change their priorities?
Part 1: Describe the life of the Brosslers before the war.
Part 2: What is the life of the Brosslers like after they escape to the mountains?
Part 3: Do the Brosslers seem to miss their previous lives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The bravery of the people in this story in relation to their choice of hiding people is certainly something that makes readers consider their own courage in this sort of situation.
Part 1: What did the families in this story give up in order to shelter Jews? What did they risk?
Part 2: Why did the families in this story do what they did?
Part 3: Do you think you might be able to take the same risk in today's times? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a sin that can not be forgiven seems to make the idea of confession something that is not absolute.
Part 1: Which character is not given forgiveness or absolution for their sins?
Part 2: Why doesn't Tomitz give absolution for these sins?
Part 3: Is it right to not forgive someone who has confessed to their sins?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)