|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adolf believe others who were not has faultless as he was should have done to them?
2. Where have Claudette and Albert been hiding for the last week?
3. What is the first name of Renzo's forward thinking mother with whom he lives?
4. Why was Schramm's sister institutionalized by her family when she was a child?
5. Santino tells Claudia to save her _______ as she might need them later.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Adolf is afraid of at the beginning of the manuscript which may have led to his own sense of purity?
2. What is Loeb's frantic warning to everyone he speaks to after the bells ring at the church?
3. What does Catarina Dolcino confess to Don Osvaldo that seems "funny" to him?
4. What kind of mother was Klara Hitler to her son, Adolf Hitler?
5. What does Werner Schramm apologize for when he finally runs into Osvaldo?
6. What does Albert say is the meaning and the purpose of the small boxes tied to his forehead and hands?
7. Why wasn't one of Tercilla Lovera's sons taken to be part of the war effort?
8. What was Klara Hitler's fate that might have further spurned on Adolf's eventual mission in life?
9. What might it take to help Schramm heal from his tuberculosis?
10. What is Doctor Werner Schramm looking for in the small village of Porto Sant' Andrea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of identity is another concern in this story. Since identities need to change in order to secure safety, the idea of one's identity seems to be less important than safety.
Part 1: What are some of the identities that the male characters take on?
Part 2: What are some of the identities that the female characters take on?
Part 3: Do the characters seem to change when they change their identities? In what ways, if at all?
Essay Topic 2
The fear that is instilled in Hitler from the beginning seems to offer an explanation for his later actions in his life.
Part 1: Why does Hitler's mom treat him the way she does?
Part 2: How is Adolf treated as he is growing up?
Part 3: Does this explanation of Adolf's growing up justify the way he turned out? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In today's world, the idea of resistance to a cause might be seen as terrorism instead of a partisan movement.
Part 1: Describe the actions of the resistance groups in this novel.
Part 2: Are the resistance groups effective in reaching their goals in this novel? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you describe these resistance movements as terrorism? Why or why not?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)