|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Osvaldo is impatient with the __________ and with the war.
2. Renzo decides to apply as a ________ for the Dairy Association as a way to help out.
3. Schramm confesses to being part of the _________ program as part of Hitler's plan.
4. Duno becomes angry that his father will not fight the ____________.
5. Santino tells Claudia to save her _______ as she might need them later.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't one of Tercilla Lovera's sons taken to be part of the war effort?
2. Why does Werner think his mother committed suicide?
3. What does Santino discover after praying fervently to the Virgin?
4. Describe the former life of the Brosslers.
5. Describe who Pierino is.
6. What does Renzo speculate about the human beings in the world?
7. How does Werner Schramm compare war to misdiagnosed tuberculosis?
8. What did Lidia do while Renzo was in jail, a fact she admits to him when he reveals his meeting with Schramm?
9. Describe Renzo's history with the Italian Royal Air Force.
10. When Pierino stutters, what does Leto say in order to make him feel better about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children also seem to play a minor, yet significant role in the story. They seem to be giving the story a subtext which is speaking more to the themes of the story.
Part 1: Who are some of the children mentioned?
Part 2: What were the fates of the children who were mentioned?
Part 3: What do you think the author is saying about youth and about new life?
Essay Topic 2
Renzo is a fascinating character, always taking another side in the conflict, trying to remain away from the politics of the time.
Part 1: What are some of the roles Renzo plays within the conflict?
Part 2: Why doesn't Renzo take a side when it comes to the political arena?
Part 3: Does Renzo's noncommittal seem to be a good thing or a bad thing for others in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Many people who read this novel have different reactions to each of the characters, emotional reactions. While this might be absolutely valid, it also seems to color the experience of the reader.
Part 1: What is the reaction you feel when you read about Renzo?
Part 2: What is the reaction you have when you read about the character of Schramm?
Part 3: How does the emotional response to a character affect the way a reader experiences a character? Or doesn't it?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)