|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of training does the answer to #14 have that makes him useful?
2. What would NOT be necessary to nurse Schramm back to health?
(a) Plain food
(c) Cold, dry air
3. Klara believed that ________ stained her soul black.
(c) her uncle
4. Who are now being forced into service in the German army and factories?
(a) Italian women
(b) No one
(c) Italian children
(d) Italian males
5. Where does Schramm finally lie down in order to begin to recuperate from his illness?
(a) A tent
(c) Stone floor
(d) Mountain cave
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have Claudette and Albert been hiding for the last week?
2. Why does Mirella offer to keep liquor at home for Renzo, which ends up making Renzo angry at her?
3. Duno becomes angry that his father will not fight the ____________.
4. Osvaldo wonders why the ________ does not excommunicate Hitler, but Leto understands how politics work.
5. What confirmed for Schramm that Irmgard had ruined his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the former life of the Brosslers.
2. What did Lidia do while Renzo was in jail, a fact she admits to him when he reveals his meeting with Schramm?
3. What does Catarina Dolcino confess to Don Osvaldo that seems "funny" to him?
4. What does Renzo speculate about the human beings in the world?
5. When Duno comes looking for Leto Girotti, what do Renzo and Osvaldo tell Duno to do?
6. What appears outside of the hut where the Blums are hiding, much to their surprise?
7. What do Hermann and Duno Brossler fight over that causes Duno to be slapped?
8. What is Doctor Werner Schramm looking for in the small village of Porto Sant' Andrea?
9. How does Schramm travel through German checkpoints?
10. Who is the person who arranged Schramm's escape? Why?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)