|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town that Tariq says he lives in, in Chapter 44?
2. Who brings Mariam, Laila, and Aziza home after their failed attempt to run away in Chapter 36?
3. What is the name of Tariq's goat in Chapter 44?
4. Who summons a mullah for Tariq and Laila's wedding in Chapter 48?
5. What American film becomes popular in the summer of 2000 in Kabul?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 49, Laila and Tariq have their first argument as a married couple. What do they argue about?
2. When does Chapter 41 take place? How is the atmosphere of Afghanistan described at this time?
3. What symbolism and metaphors are explored through the death of Rasheed in Chapter 45?
4. What leads to the capture or Mariam and Laila in Chapter 36?
5. When does Chapter 42 take place? What are the circumstances like at this time for Laila and Mariam?
6. What are the consequences of Mariam's and Laila's capture in Chapter 36?
7. How are the conditions described when Laila gives birth in Chapter 39? Where does Laila give birth?
8. What choice does Laila face in Chapter 29? What circumstances dictate Laila's decision?
9. How does Laila attempt to repay Mariam for her sacrifice in Chapter 50?
10. How would you describe the sacrifice that Mariam makes in Chapter 46? What are the consequences of this sacrifice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mir Akbar Khyber’s assassination and the politics in Afghanistan in 1978. What were the repercussions of the assassination? How did this change the political atmosphere in Kabul? How did this event contribute to the downfall of President Daoud Khan's government?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of pregnancy and oppression in the novel. What oppressions has Mariam faced as a woman in Afghanistan by the age of fifteen? How are these oppressions compounded with her marriage? How does Mariam feel about her pregnancy? How do these themes apply to Laila?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Laila and Hakim in the novel. How does Laila’s relationship with her father differ from Mariam’s? How do Laila’s overall circumstances differ? What is Hakim’s profession? How would you describe Hakim’s relationship with his wife?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)