|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chapter 42 begin?
2. What "gift" does Mariam give to Laila in Chapter 34?
3. Where does Laila plan to take a bus to from Kabul when she runs away in Chapter 34?
4. When does Chapter 37 begin?
5. What television channel are Tariq and Laila watching as New York's Twin Towers are hit on 9/11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What choice does Laila face in Chapter 29? What circumstances dictate Laila's decision?
2. What leads to the development of friendship between Laila and Mariam in Chapter 33?
3. What leads to the capture or Mariam and Laila in Chapter 36?
4. How have the political changes in Afghanistan influenced Rasheed's behavior in Chapter 38?
5. How do the conflicts between Laila and Mariam develop in Chapter 32?
6. How does Laila attempt to repay Mariam for her sacrifice in Chapter 50?
7. How have the politics of Afghanistan changed in Chapter 37? What new regulations are announced?
8. How is Laila's and Tariq's journey described in Chapter 50? Where do they visit on their way to Kabul?
9. When does Chapter 42 take place? What are the circumstances like at this time for Laila and Mariam?
10. When does Chapter 41 take place? How is the atmosphere of Afghanistan described at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mir Akbar Khyber’s assassination and the politics in Afghanistan in 1978. What were the repercussions of the assassination? How did this change the political atmosphere in Kabul? How did this event contribute to the downfall of President Daoud Khan's government?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Mariam as one of the two protagonists in A Thousand Splendid Suns. How old is Mariam when she is introduced? What is Mariam’s relationship like with each of her parents? Whom is Mariam closest to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of pregnancy and oppression in the novel. What oppressions has Mariam faced as a woman in Afghanistan by the age of fifteen? How are these oppressions compounded with her marriage? How does Mariam feel about her pregnancy? How do these themes apply to Laila?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)