|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Afghans were living at the Nasir Bagh refugee camp when Tariq and his parents arrived there?
2. Who brings Mariam, Laila, and Aziza home after their failed attempt to run away in Chapter 36?
3. Who is described in Chapter 37 as "a mysterious, illiterate, one-eyed recluse" that leads the Taliban?
4. What is the date on Jalil's letter from the box that he left behind for her in Chapter 50?
5. What does Abdul Sharif say his wife's name is in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the political changes in Afghanistan influenced Rasheed's behavior in Chapter 38?
2. In Chapter 49, Laila and Tariq have their first argument as a married couple. What do they argue about?
3. How does Laila attempt to repay Mariam for her sacrifice in Chapter 50?
4. How are the themes of suffering and grief illustrated in Chapter 28?
5. When does Chapter 41 take place? How is the atmosphere of Afghanistan described at this time?
6. What symbolism and metaphors are explored through the death of Rasheed in Chapter 45?
7. Why does Mariam attempt contacting Jalil in Chapter 41? What does she discover?
8. What choice does Laila face in Chapter 29? What circumstances dictate Laila's decision?
9. What is the greatest conflict that Laila faces in Chapter 31?
10. When does Chapter 42 take place? What are the circumstances like at this time for Laila and Mariam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Herat, Afghanistan in the 1960s. Who was the leader of the country at this time? What was the political atmosphere like? How many people lived in Herat? How was wealth distributed in the country and the city? Where does Mariam live with her mother at this time? What is their home like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of hope, history, and love in A Thousand Splendid Suns. What symbolism supports these themes in the narrative? How does the novel’s title connect to these themes? How do these themes relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the arrival of the Taliban in Kabul and the establishment of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan and its laws. What requirements are men given in regard to their appearance? What requirements are given for women’s appearance under these laws? How were the daily lives of women in Kabul affected by these changes?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)