|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rasheed's first son drown?
2. Who is described in Chapter 37 as "a mysterious, illiterate, one-eyed recluse" that leads the Taliban?
3. Where do Laila and her family spend the night while waiting for a connecting bus to Herat in Chapter 50?
4. How many people does Rasheed say that the Mujahideen have killed in Kabul in the past four years prior to Taliban control in Chapter 38?
5. Who was the United States President at the time that the U.S. declared war on Afghanistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laila respond when she determines that she is pregnant in Chapter 38?
2. How have the politics of Afghanistan changed in Chapter 37? What new regulations are announced?
3. What leads to the capture or Mariam and Laila in Chapter 36?
4. How are the circumstances and lives of Laila, Tariq, and their children described in Chapter 51?
5. What choice does Laila face in Chapter 29? What circumstances dictate Laila's decision?
6. What is the greatest conflict that Laila faces in Chapter 31?
7. How are the conditions described when Laila gives birth in Chapter 39? Where does Laila give birth?
8. When does Chapter 41 take place? How is the atmosphere of Afghanistan described at this time?
9. Why does Mariam attempt contacting Jalil in Chapter 41? What does she discover?
10. How is Laila's and Tariq's journey described in Chapter 50? Where do they visit on their way to Kabul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of grief and war in A Thousand Splendid Suns. How are these themes illustrated symbolically in the novel? How do the women and men in the narrative express their grief differently? How are war and grief intertwined for the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of hope, history, and love in A Thousand Splendid Suns. What symbolism supports these themes in the narrative? How does the novel’s title connect to these themes? How do these themes relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political atmosphere of Kabul following Najibullah’s surrender in 1992. How many different factions in Afghanistan began warring against one another at this time? What were the objectives of each group? How were the everyday lives of Afghani citizens affected by these changes?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)