|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the park that Rasheed takes Mariam to visit on their tour of Kabul in Chapter 11?
2. What does Hakim dream of living near in the novel?
3. On what date was Mir Akbar Khyber assassinated?
4. What has Tariq's uncle in Ghazni died from in Chapter 22?
5. When does Chapter 23 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political events are described by the narrator in Chapter 15? How do these events affect the citizens of Afghanistan?
2. How are Jalil's visits to Mariam described in Chapter 4? What do they talk about?
3. What are the reasons behind Mariam's marriage arrangement in Chapter 7? How is this arrangement perceived by the characters in the story?
4. How would you describe Mariam's relationship with each of her parents in Chapter 1?
5. What does Hakim reveal to Laila when they are alone at the top of the statues in Chapter 21?
6. How does the narrator describe Mariam's discovery that she was an unwanted child in Chapter 1?
7. How would you describe Mariam's introduction to married life in Chapter 9?
8. When does Chapter 24 take place? What are the circumstances around Laila's family at this time?
9. What are Laila's perceptions of the funeral in Chapter 19? How does Laila grieve?
10. How has Mariam's relationship with Rasheed evolved in Chapter 14? What has led to these changes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Rasheed in the narrative. How does Rasheed treat Mariam after their wedding? How does she adjust to her new circumstances? What “rules” and expectations does Rasheed set in place for his wife? How does Rasheed’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political atmosphere of Kabul following Najibullah’s surrender in 1992. How many different factions in Afghanistan began warring against one another at this time? What were the objectives of each group? How were the everyday lives of Afghani citizens affected by these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the characters of Laila and Hakim in the novel. How does Laila’s relationship with her father differ from Mariam’s? How do Laila’s overall circumstances differ? What is Hakim’s profession? How would you describe Hakim’s relationship with his wife?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)