|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tariq's family is of what ethnic group in Afghanistan?
2. What does Tariq do to the boy that shot Laila with the water pistol in Chapter 18?
3. How is Giti killed in Chapter 24?
4. Where does Hakim tell Laila that the family will go first to apply for visas after they leave Kabul in Chapter 26?
5. How old was Mariam's Nana when her mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Mariam's discovery that she was an unwanted child in Chapter 1?
2. What loss does Mariam suffer in Chapter 13? How does this loss affect her?
3. How is Fariba's (Laila's mother's) daily behavior described in Chapter 17?
4. How has Mariam adjusted to married life by the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. How does the Afghanistan war against the Russians factor directly into Laila's storyline in Chapter 17?
6. How is the wedding ceremony described in Chapter 8? Who is present for the wedding?
7. How are Jalil's visits to Mariam described in Chapter 4? What do they talk about?
8. What does Hakim reveal to Laila when they are alone at the top of the statues in Chapter 21?
9. What discrepancy is seen between Nana's and Jalil's descriptions of Mariam's birth in Chapter 2?
10. How does Nana respond when Mullah Faizullah suggests Mariam be educated in Chapter 3? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Mariam as one of the two protagonists in A Thousand Splendid Suns. How old is Mariam when she is introduced? What is Mariam’s relationship like with each of her parents? Whom is Mariam closest to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Kabul, Afghanistan, in the 1960s-1970s. How many people live in the capital? How divided is the wealth distribution in the city? How many citizens of Kabul were Muslim at this time? What other religions and cultures coexisted? How does this setting differ from Herat for Mariam?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of pregnancy and oppression in the novel. What oppressions has Mariam faced as a woman in Afghanistan by the age of fifteen? How are these oppressions compounded with her marriage? How does Mariam feel about her pregnancy? How do these themes apply to Laila?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)