|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mariam tell Laila she will NOT be in Chapter 31?
(a) She will not be the cook.
(b) She will not be a thief.
(c) She will not be Laila's servant.
(d) She will not be Rasheed's wife.
2. What language does Tariq say he learned to speak while he was in prison?
3. When does Chapter 39 begin?
(a) September, 1997.
(b) September, 1996.
(c) January, 1994.
(d) April, 1992.
4. About how long after Laila has been recovering at Rasheed's home does Abdul Sharif come looking for her in Chapter 27?
(a) After two weeks.
(b) After a week.
(c) After a year.
(d) After a month.
5. Approximately how old is Rasheed said to be in Chapter 29?
(a) About 70.
(b) Over 70.
(c) Over 60.
(d) About 55.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the orphanage director tell Mariam he is from in Chapter 42?
2. Who hires Tariq to work as a handyman at his motel after Tariq gets out of prison?
3. What was the name of Rasheed's first son that drowned?
4. Who was the interim president of Afghanistan in July of 2002?
5. What movie does Aziza's family take her to see for her birthday in Chapter 51?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 49, Laila and Tariq have their first argument as a married couple. What do they argue about?
2. How have the political changes in Afghanistan influenced Rasheed's behavior in Chapter 38?
3. How are the conditions described when Laila gives birth in Chapter 39? Where does Laila give birth?
4. What is the greatest conflict that Laila faces in Chapter 31?
5. How does Laila attempt to repay Mariam for her sacrifice in Chapter 50?
6. What decision has Laila reached in Chapter 49, and what has led her to this decision?
7. What major political events are detailed in Chapter 49? What are Laila's thoughts on these events?
8. What leads to the capture or Mariam and Laila in Chapter 36?
9. How does Tariq's return affect Mariam and Laila's circumstances in Chapter 44? How does the author build tension in this chapter?
10. How have the politics of Afghanistan changed in Chapter 37? What new regulations are announced?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)