|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When had Mariam first heard about the Taliban, according to the narrator in Chapter 37?
(a) In August of 1998.
(b) In September of 1997.
(c) In July of 1995.
(d) In October of 1994.
2. When does Chapter 37 begin?
(a) January, 1994.
(b) September, 1996.
(c) August, 1997.
(d) April, 1992.
3. How many years have Mariam and Rasheed been married in Chapter 29?
4. When did Dostum switch sides and join Gulbuddin Hekmatyar in the Afghan Civil War?
(a) March, 1996.
(b) April, 1992.
(c) July, 1995.
(d) January, 1994.
5. What is the name of the town that Tariq says he lives in, in Chapter 44?
(a) Karteh Seh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Laila forced to go in order to give birth in Chapter 39?
2. What was hidden inside the coat that Tariq was paid to take to Lahore, according to his story in Chapter 44?
3. What is the punishment for attempting to convert a Muslim to a different faith, according to the Taliban's flyers in Chapter 37?
4. Where does Laila tell Tariq she wants to visit before returning to Kabul in Chapter 50?
5. What does Laila ask Mariam to do in the end of Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the conditions described when Laila gives birth in Chapter 39? Where does Laila give birth?
2. How have the political changes in Afghanistan influenced Rasheed's behavior in Chapter 38?
3. What decision has Laila reached in Chapter 49, and what has led her to this decision?
4. What symbolism and metaphors are explored through the death of Rasheed in Chapter 45?
5. How does Laila attempt to repay Mariam for her sacrifice in Chapter 50?
6. How are the themes of virtue and survivalism explored in Chapter 30?
7. How would you describe the ending of the novel? Do you think the novel ends on a hopeful note? Why or why not?
8. What is the greatest conflict that Laila faces in Chapter 31?
9. How have the politics of Afghanistan changed in Chapter 37? What new regulations are announced?
10. How is Laila's and Tariq's journey described in Chapter 50? Where do they visit on their way to Kabul?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)