|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Tariq's goat in Chapter 44?
2. What do Mariam and Laila begin sharing each night together in the yard in Chapter 35?
(d) Chai tea.
3. What does the word "ahmaq" translate to in English?
4. Where does Laila hide the money that she steals from Rasheed in Chapter 34?
(a) A hidden drawer in her dresser.
(b) The lining of her coat pocket.
(c) Under her bed.
(d) The lining of her pillow case.
5. How many days does Mariam spend in prison before her execution?
Short Answer Questions
1. What change does Rasheed make to his appearance in order to fulfill the Taliban's orders in Chapter 38?
2. Who was the interim president of Afghanistan in July of 2002?
3. How old is Aziza in Chapter 51?
4. Chapter 36 begins in the spring of what year?
5. Why do Rasheed and Laila argue about the baby's clothes in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision has Laila reached in Chapter 49, and what has led her to this decision?
2. How does Laila respond when she determines that she is pregnant in Chapter 38?
3. How would you describe Laila's greatest struggle in Chapter 42? How does Laila's suffering influence your opinion of her character?
4. How would you describe the ending of the novel? Do you think the novel ends on a hopeful note? Why or why not?
5. What are the consequences of Mariam's and Laila's capture in Chapter 36?
6. What leads to the development of friendship between Laila and Mariam in Chapter 33?
7. What major political events are detailed in Chapter 49? What are Laila's thoughts on these events?
8. What leads to the capture or Mariam and Laila in Chapter 36?
9. In Chapter 49, Laila and Tariq have their first argument as a married couple. What do they argue about?
10. What is the greatest conflict that Laila faces in Chapter 31?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)