|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Tariq been gone when Fariba finally agrees to leave Kabul in Chapter 26?
(a) 12 days.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 17 days.
(d) 4 days.
2. Jalil tells Mariam that he gave her this name because it refers to what?
(a) A thousand sunsets.
(b) A tuberose flower.
(c) The ocean.
(d) The sunset.
3. Where is Hasina taken by her family to marry a cousin who owns an auto shop in Chapter 23?
(b) Gul Daman.
4. Who was the leader of the Islamic Jihad Council that formed following Afghanistan's independence?
(a) Sibghatullah Mojadidi.
(b) Abdul Rashid Dostum.
(c) Ahmad Shah Massoud.
(d) Queen Gauhar Shad.
5. What movie does Mariam beg Jalil to take her to for her fifteenth birthday?
(d) It's a Wonderful Life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hat does Tariq wear as they watch the last Soviet convoys leave the city in Chapter 22?
2. How old is Laila in 1987 when Chapter 16 begins?
3. What type of business does Jalil own when Mariam is a child?
4. Who is the village arbab of Gul Daman that visits Mariam and her mother once a month or so during Mariam's childhood?
5. When did Fariba and her husband move to Kabul?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the wedding ceremony described in Chapter 8? Who is present for the wedding?
2. Chapter 6 is a transitional chapter in A Thousand Splendid Suns. What purpose does this transition serve?
3. When does Chapter 21 take place? What is the political atmosphere like in Afghanistan at this time?
4. What loss does Mariam suffer in Chapter 13? How does this loss affect her?
5. What political even does Laila's family witness in Chapter 22? What do they make of this affair?
6. How has Mariam's relationship with Rasheed evolved in Chapter 14? What has led to these changes?
7. How have Mariam's circumstances changed by the end of Chapter 5? What has caused Mariam's circumstances to change?
8. How are Laila's circumstances shown to be different than Mariam's circumstances in Chapter 16?
9. What does Hakim reveal to Laila when they are alone at the top of the statues in Chapter 21?
10. What literary allusion does the author employ in Chapter 21? How does this allusion relate metaphorically to A Thousand Splendid Suns?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)