|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Mariam born?
2. What does the word "kojr" translate to in English?
3. Who does Jalil say "had raised the famous minarets as her loving ode to Herat back in the fifteenth century" in Chapter 1?
(a) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(b) Queen Gauhar Shad.
(d) Abdul Rashid Dostum.
4. On what day of the week does Jalil come to visit Mariam during her childhood?
(a) Every Sunday.
(b) Every Friday.
(c) Every Tuesday.
(d) Every Thursday.
5. How many legitimate wives does Jalil have when Mariam is a child?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had supposedly overseen the burial of Fariba's sons, according to the messenger that relates their death?
2. Where does Hakim rent a hall for his sons' fatiha in Chapter 19?
3. What name is used in Chapter 21 to describe the Afghan Pashtun wanderers that are primarily from the Ghilzai tribal confederacy?
4. Who is the boy that shoots Laila with the water gun in Chapter 17?
5. What is Laila's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Chapter 24 take place? What are the circumstances around Laila's family at this time?
2. What does Hakim reveal to Laila when they are alone at the top of the statues in Chapter 21?
3. What loss does Mariam suffer in Chapter 13? How does this loss affect her?
4. How is Fariba's (Laila's mother's) daily behavior described in Chapter 17?
5. How does the Afghanistan war against the Russians factor directly into Laila's storyline in Chapter 17?
6. What leads to the change in Fariba's behavior in Chapter 23? How does her behavior change?
7. How has Fariba's behavior changed in Chapter 20? What does Laila make of these changes?
8. What news does Tariq relate to Laila in Chapter 25? How does Laila respond?
9. What discrepancy is seen between Nana's and Jalil's descriptions of Mariam's birth in Chapter 2?
10. What literary allusion does the author employ in Chapter 21? How does this allusion relate metaphorically to A Thousand Splendid Suns?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)