|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the ancient poet that Jalil describes buried beneath a pistachio tree in Herat in Chapter 1?
(a) Habib Khan.
(b) Abdul Rashid Dostum.
(c) Queen Gauhar Shad.
2. What does Fariba say that Noor would have become if he hadn't been killed in Chapter 20?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A politician.
(d) An architect.
3. What name is used in Chapter 21 to describe the Afghan Pashtun wanderers that are primarily from the Ghilzai tribal confederacy?
(a) Deh Mazang.
(b) Koochi nomads.
(c) Whirling dervishes.
(d) Shindand nomads.
4. What is the first meal that Mariam cooks for Rasheed as his wife?
(b) Kabuli Palau.
(d) Serkah Pulao.
5. Where was the young parakeet seller from that Nana almost married when she was fifteen?
(c) Gul Daman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs at the end of Chapter 26?
2. Who is described in Chapter 23 as "the flamboyant Uzbek commander, leader of the Junbish-i-Milli faction"?
3. What caused Tariq to lose one of his legs?
4. In what year does Chapter 12 begin?
5. What does Hakim dream of living near in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Laila's circumstances shown to be different than Mariam's circumstances in Chapter 16?
2. How does Nana respond when Mullah Faizullah suggests Mariam be educated in Chapter 3? Why?
3. What news is delivered to Laila's family in Chapter 19? How does Laila's mother handle this information?
4. How has Fariba's behavior changed in Chapter 20? What does Laila make of these changes?
5. How are Jalil's visits to Mariam described in Chapter 4? What do they talk about?
6. What are the reasons behind Mariam's marriage arrangement in Chapter 7? How is this arrangement perceived by the characters in the story?
7. How has Mariam adjusted to married life by the beginning of Chapter 11?
8. How is Laila's relationship with Tariq described in Chapter 18? How does Laila feel about Tariq's family?
9. What discrepancy is seen between Nana's and Jalil's descriptions of Mariam's birth in Chapter 2?
10. What political events are described by the narrator in Chapter 15? How do these events affect the citizens of Afghanistan?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)