|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mariam and Laila begin sharing each night together in the yard in Chapter 35?
(a) Chai tea.
2. What gift does Tariq give to Laila in a paper bag during his visit in Chapter 44?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A turquoise necklace.
(c) A ring.
(d) A block of cheese.
3. What happens to Rasheed's shoe store in Chapter 41?
(a) It doubles its profits.
(b) It is bombed.
(c) It is closed by the Taliban.
(d) It burns down.
4. Why do Rasheed and Laila argue about the baby's clothes in Chapter 33?
(a) They are dirty rags.
(b) They are too expensive.
(c) They are boys' clothes.
(d) They are girls' clothes.
5. What is the name of Kabul's ancient music ghetto that is silenced by the Taliban in Chapter 38?
(a) Gul Daman.
6. What television channel are Tariq and Laila watching as New York's Twin Towers are hit on 9/11?
(b) CBS News.
(d) FOX News.
7. When had Mariam first heard about the Taliban, according to the narrator in Chapter 37?
(a) In September of 1997.
(b) In October of 1994.
(c) In July of 1995.
(d) In August of 1998.
8. How old is Aziza in Chapter 51?
9. What is the name of Rasheed and Laila's son?
10. According to the laws enforced by the Taliban in Chapter 37, all boys in grades one through six are to wear what?
(a) Yellow turbans.
(b) Black turbans.
(c) White turbans.
(d) Green turbans.
11. Who does Tariq say sent out inquiries and told him of the death of Tariq's mother while they were in prison in Chapter 44?
12. When does Chapter 39 begin?
(a) January, 1994.
(b) April, 1992.
(c) September, 1996.
(d) September, 1997.
13. Who was the United States President at the time that the U.S. declared war on Afghanistan?
(a) Barack Obama.
(b) Bill Clinton.
(c) George H. W. Bush.
(d) George W. Bush.
14. In his letter to Mariam, whom does Jalil say was killed on the first day of the 1979 uprising?
15. When does Chapter 37 begin?
(a) August, 1997.
(b) September, 1996.
(c) April, 1992.
(d) January, 1994.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Laila plan to take a bus to from Kabul when she runs away in Chapter 34?
2. What change does Rasheed make to his appearance in order to fulfill the Taliban's orders in Chapter 38?
3. When does Chapter 42 begin?
4. What "gift" does Mariam give to Laila in Chapter 34?
5. Who hires Tariq to work as a handyman at his motel after Tariq gets out of prison?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)