|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the punishment for adultery, according to the Taliban's flyers in Chapter 37?
(a) Your hand will be cut off.
(b) You will be stoned to death.
(c) Your sexual organs will be removed.
2. According to the laws enforced by the Taliban in Chapter 37, all boys in grades one through six are to wear what?
(a) Black turbans.
(b) White turbans.
(c) Yellow turbans.
(d) Green turbans.
3. What television channel are Tariq and Laila watching as New York's Twin Towers are hit on 9/11?
(a) FOX News.
(b) CBS News.
4. What Hazara commander has been captured and killed by the Taliban in Chapter 37?
(a) Abdul Ali Mazari.
(b) Ahmad Shah Massoud.
(c) Abdul Rashid Dostum.
(d) Sibghatullah Mojadidi.
5. Who is the "cantankerous cook" that works at the hotel in Murree in Chapter 48?
6. How many days does Mariam spend in prison before her execution?
7. Who summons a mullah for Tariq and Laila's wedding in Chapter 48?
8. What kinds of businesses does Abdul Sharif say he owns in Chapter 28?
(a) Clothing stores.
(b) Fine restaurants.
(c) Fast food restaurants.
(d) Butcher shops.
9. During one of his rages in Chapter 33, Rasheed says of the baby, "I'm telling you, Laila's given birth to" whom?
(a) Sibghatullah Mojadidi.
(b) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(c) Ahmad Shah Massoud.
(d) Queen Gauhar Shad.
10. What is the name of the Kabul newspaper that has covered the renovation of the orphanage in Chapter 51?
(a) Kabul Weekly.
(b) Daily Cheragh.
(c) Daily Annis.
(d) Eqtedaare Melli Weekly.
11. Who does Tariq say sent out inquiries and told him of the death of Tariq's mother while they were in prison in Chapter 44?
12. How many women share the prison cell with Mariam in Chapter 47?
13. What does Abdul Sharif say his wife's name is in Chapter 28?
14. What gift does Tariq give to Laila in a paper bag during his visit in Chapter 44?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A turquoise necklace.
(c) A ring.
(d) A block of cheese.
15. When does Chapter 42 begin?
(a) March, 2003.
(b) September, 1997.
(c) April, 1992.
(d) April, 2001.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rasheed's first son drown?
2. What does Laila ask Mariam to do in the end of Chapter 35?
3. What is the name of the man that buys the bus tickets for Laila in Chapter 36?
4. Why do Rasheed and Laila argue about the baby's clothes in Chapter 33?
5. What do Mariam and Laila begin sharing each night together in the yard in Chapter 35?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)