|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how old is Rasheed said to be in Chapter 29?
(a) About 55.
(b) Over 60.
(c) About 70.
(d) Over 70.
2. What is the punishment for adultery, according to the Taliban's flyers in Chapter 37?
(a) Your sexual organs will be removed.
(b) You will be stoned to death.
(c) Your hand will be cut off.
3. When did the United States declare war against Afghanistan following the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center?
(a) April 27, 2001.
(b) November 11, 2002.
(c) March 12, 2002.
(d) October 7, 2001.
4. Where is Laila forced to go in order to give birth in Chapter 39?
(a) Rabia Balkhi.
(b) Jamhuriat Hospital.
(c) At home.
(d) Malalai Hospital.
5. What name does Tariq want to name his child if Laila has a son in Chapter 51?
6. What does Mariam tell Laila she will NOT be in Chapter 31?
(a) She will not be a thief.
(b) She will not be the cook.
(c) She will not be Laila's servant.
(d) She will not be Rasheed's wife.
7. When does Chapter 39 begin?
(a) September, 1997.
(b) September, 1996.
(c) January, 1994.
(d) April, 1992.
8. What does Abdul Sharif say his wife's name is in Chapter 28?
9. What is the name of the prison that Mariam is sent to in Chapter 47?
(a) The Rish Khor Prison.
(b) The Walayat Women's Prison.
(c) The Sheberghan Prison.
(d) The Parwan Detention Facility.
10. What does ISAF stand for in the narrative?
(a) International Special Air Force.
(b) Internal Spiritual Affairs Firm.
(c) International Social Affairs Firm.
(d) International Security Assistance Force.
11. When had Mariam first heard about the Taliban, according to the narrator in Chapter 37?
(a) In August of 1998.
(b) In October of 1994.
(c) In September of 1997.
(d) In July of 1995.
12. When does Chapter 37 begin?
(a) August, 1997.
(b) September, 1996.
(c) April, 1992.
(d) January, 1994.
13. What leader has been killed in the beginning of Chapter 49?
(a) Ahmad Shah Massoud.
(b) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(c) Sibghatullah Mojadidi.
(d) Abdul Rashid Dostum.
14. Where does Laila hide the money that she steals from Rasheed in Chapter 34?
(a) The lining of her pillow case.
(b) The lining of her coat pocket.
(c) Under her bed.
(d) A hidden drawer in her dresser.
15. Who brings Mariam, Laila, and Aziza home after their failed attempt to run away in Chapter 36?
(a) Laila's father.
(c) Laila's mother.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Rasheed's shoe store in Chapter 41?
2. How old is Mariam when Rasheed marries Laila?
3. What does the name Aziza mean?
4. How old is Aziza in Chapter 51?
5. What change does Rasheed make to his appearance in order to fulfill the Taliban's orders in Chapter 38?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)