|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mariam's mother commit suicide?
(a) She slits her wrists.
(b) She hangs herself.
(c) She overdoses on pills.
(d) She shoots herself.
2. What is the name of Fariba's eldest son?
3. What does "Shahr-e-Zohak" translate to in English?
(a) The White City.
(b) The Blue City.
(c) The Red City.
(d) The Green City.
4. What is the Farsi speaking Tajik region northeast of Kabul that Fariba's family is from?
(a) Deh Mazang.
(d) Gul Daman.
5. Who is the 18-year-old boy that Giti has become enamored with in Chapter 23?
6. When does Chapter 23 begin?
(a) April, 1992.
(b) March, 1995.
(c) September, 1990.
(d) July, 1989.
7. How much older is Tariq than Laila in the narrative?
(a) 4 years older.
(b) 1 year older.
(c) 3 years older.
(d) 2 years older.
8. What does Tariq do to the boy that shot Laila with the water pistol in Chapter 18?
(a) He beats him with his prosthetic leg.
(b) He tells the boy's mother.
(c) He throws a water balloon at him.
(d) He shoots him with a BB gun.
9. How many children does Jalil have in Chapter 1?
10. What does the word "kolba" refer to in the novel?
(a) A hut.
(b) A veil.
(c) A place of religious worship.
(d) A horse-cart.
11. What does the word "harami" mean, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
12. How many legitimate wives does Jalil have when Mariam is a child?
13. What American President does Rasheed describe resigning over a scandal in Chapter 10?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Bill Clinton.
14. On what date was Laila born?
(a) March 12, 1968.
(b) April 27, 1978.
(c) July 12, 1975.
(d) August 10, 1982.
15. For how many years did King Zahir Shah's reign last in Afghanistan?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the elderly midwife that helped to deliver Laila?
2. In what year does Chapter 12 begin?
3. What is the first meal that Mariam cooks for Rasheed as his wife?
4. What does Mariam discover Rasheed building in the tool shed in Chapter 13?
5. What caused Tariq to lose one of his legs?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)