|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Tariq to lose one of his legs?
(a) He stepped on a land mine.
(b) He was in a car accident.
(c) He was hit by a train.
(d) He had polio.
2. What is the name of the nearby village that Nana's father is from?
(b) Gul Daman.
3. How old is Mariam when she first hears the word "harami" in Chapter 1?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 10 years old.
(c) 3 years old.
(d) 8 months old.
4. How much older is Tariq than Laila in the narrative?
(a) 1 year older.
(b) 3 years older.
(c) 2 years older.
(d) 4 years older.
5. What is the name of Fariba's eldest son?
6. What is the name of Fariba's 10-year-old son that she introduces to Mariam at the tandoor line in Chapter 10?
7. Jalil tells Mariam that he gave her this name because it refers to what?
(a) A thousand sunsets.
(b) The sunset.
(c) A tuberose flower.
(d) The ocean.
8. When did Fariba and her husband move to Kabul?
9. How much older is Hakim than Fariba?
(a) 15 years older.
(b) 3 years older.
(c) 10 years older.
(d) 6 years older.
10. What is Laila's nickname?
(a) Revolutionary Girl.
(b) Pretty Princess.
(c) Plain-clothes Mary.
(d) Dark Whisperer.
11. During what years was Mohammad Najibullah President of Afghanistan?
12. What word in the book refers to the five daily prayers undertaken by Muslims?
(a) Gul Daman.
(b) Serkah Pulao.
(d) Karteh Seh.
13. What is the name of the elderly midwife that helped to deliver Laila?
14. What mountain does Rasheed point out to Mariam from the front window of his house in Chapter 9?
(a) Asmai Mountain.
(b) Mount Rushmore.
(c) Pumori Mountain.
(d) Nanda Devi.
15. Who is the ancient poet that Jalil describes buried beneath a pistachio tree in Herat in Chapter 1?
(a) Queen Gauhar Shad.
(c) Abdul Rashid Dostum.
(d) Habib Khan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Jalil have in Chapter 1?
2. What is Rasheed's profession when he marries Mariam?
3. What does Hakim dream of living near in the novel?
4. Whose pictures does Fariba hold up as the last Soviet convoys exit the city in Chapter 22?
5. Who is described in Chapter 23 as "the flamboyant Uzbek commander, leader of the Junbish-i-Milli faction"?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)