|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day of the week does Jalil come to visit Mariam during her childhood?
(a) Every Thursday.
(b) Every Sunday.
(c) Every Tuesday.
(d) Every Friday.
2. During what years was Mohammad Najibullah President of Afghanistan?
3. What language is native to Kandahar?
4. What does Hakim dream of living near in the novel?
(a) The desert.
(b) The equator.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The sea.
5. How old is Mariam when she first hears the word "harami" in Chapter 1?
(a) 3 years old.
(b) 8 months old.
(c) 5 years old.
(d) 10 years old.
6. What kind of hat does Tariq wear as they watch the last Soviet convoys leave the city in Chapter 22?
(a) A bowler.
(b) A fedora.
(c) An ushanka.
(d) A derby hat.
7. In what year was Mariam born?
8. Where is Hasina taken by her family to marry a cousin who owns an auto shop in Chapter 23?
(d) Gul Daman.
9. What is the name of the celebration that follows Ramadan?
(a) Eid Al-Adha.
(b) Day of Ashura.
(c) Eid al-Fitr.
(d) Dhu al-Hijjah.
10. What is the name of Fariba's husband?
11. Jalil tells Mariam that he gave her this name because it refers to what?
(a) The ocean.
(b) A tuberose flower.
(c) The sunset.
(d) A thousand sunsets.
12. What movie does Mariam beg Jalil to take her to for her fifteenth birthday?
(a) It's a Wonderful Life.
13. What is the name of Laila's progressive but strict schoolteacher in Chapter 16?
14. What name is used in Chapter 21 to describe the Afghan Pashtun wanderers that are primarily from the Ghilzai tribal confederacy?
(a) Shindand nomads.
(b) Deh Mazang.
(c) Koochi nomads.
(d) Whirling dervishes.
15. What is the name of Fariba's 10-year-old son that she introduces to Mariam at the tandoor line in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the boy that shoots Laila with the water gun in Chapter 17?
2. What does the word "kolba" refer to in the novel?
3. What does Mariam discover Rasheed building in the tool shed in Chapter 13?
4. Who is described in Chapter 23 as "the flamboyant Uzbek commander, leader of the Junbish-i-Milli faction"?
5. What is the name of the nearby village that Nana's father is from?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)