|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The farm's ultimate legacy was $34,000 in debt that was owed to __________ after the death of Larry.
2. Where does Ginny drive in order to find out what the townsfolk are saying about Larry and the rest of the family as the pastor will not reveal anything?
3. Who covered for Caroline when Caroline was 14 and wanted to do something that Larry would have disapproved of?
4. Mr. Cartier tells the sisters that the ___________ will be hard to prove, so they need to focus more on keeping up appearances.
5. Rose curses _______ for all the pain he has caused Pammy and Linda in their lives, intentional or not.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ty do when he's in town with Ginny at the Perkins Restaurant?
2. Who takes care of the funeral arrangements for Pete, since Harold and Larry are not present?
3. Why has Henry Dodge, the Lutheran minister, come to call on Ginny, even though she did not ask him to come?
4. What does Rose want Ginny to do for her daughters, Pammy and Linda, that night instead of taking them back with Ginny?
5. What did Ginny do when she was 3-and-a-half that made her aware of her own skin?
6. How is it shown that Ty is the better farmer of all of his neighbors and their farms?
7. What does Ginny notice about 6 AM the morning after Pete's accident?
8. What does Ginny believe is Rose's legacy to her daughters, Pammy and Linda?
9. What is the status of Harold's eyes after his accident with the ammonia?
10. What happened to Rose's old home when the farm sale occurred in the springtime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The multiple miscarriages of Ginny are a sad fact she shares almost without feeling at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Ginny has continued to have so many miscarriages in her life?
Part 2: What is the symbolism of Ginny not being able to carry a child in her womb?
Part 3: Do you think the Ginny would have made a good mother? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The acres of the farm are obviously affecting the way the family interacts with each other. As the acres grow, the family becomes more volatile.
Part 1: How do you think the story might have changed had the acres been fewer in number?
Part 2: How do you think the story might have changed if Larry had simply kept all of the land for himself?
Part 3: Why do you think Larry decided to split up his land among different people?
Essay Topic 3
Between Rose's cancer and Ginny's infertility, it seems that maybe there is a genetic or environmental issue at work that might be harming these women.
Part 1: Do you think the farm's chemicals are what are causing the troubles for the women in this story? Why or why not?
Part 2: What does it say about these women that they don't leave, even though the environment might be making them sick?
Part 3: What does it say about Caroline that she is the 'well one' and she left the farm? Should the others have left the farm as well?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)