|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the home kit model that John Cook and his new wife Edith bought years after the grandparents drained their land?
2. What was revealed under the marshland that once stood in the farm area that Larry now owns?
3. Ginny and her sister, Rose, raised Caroline the best they could after their ____________ died and could not help them.
4. The farm stretching a mile along Country Road 686 where _______ numbered roads run east to west.
5. What does Jess ask Ginny to do when he surprises her by showing up at her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the kitchen cabinets that Larry purchases, even though he doesn't need them?
2. What is Larry's response to the questions of Ginny and Ty after he is released from the hospital?
3. What does Ginny do in order to try to catch a glance of Jess Clark again?
4. What happened to the Ericson farm, according to Ginny's memory of the time it was purchased?
5. What ends the two week long Monopoly game and causes the family to react angrily?
6. What did Harold buy for himself without consulting Larry, which made Larry a bit upset?
7. What has Ty wanted to do for years with his share of the farm he lives on?
8. What kind of sermon does Henry Dodge give during the service in which Rose and Ginny are helping?
9. What happens to Ginny after she cleans the carpet in her house, a task which takes her until noon?
10. What is on the papers which Ken LaSalle gives to Ginny when she is served?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The multiple miscarriages of Ginny are a sad fact she shares almost without feeling at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Ginny has continued to have so many miscarriages in her life?
Part 2: What is the symbolism of Ginny not being able to carry a child in her womb?
Part 3: Do you think the Ginny would have made a good mother? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, one could say that the setting and its many specific locations are also characters in the story.
Part 1: What kind of 'character' is Chelsea in this story? What does this location do to the characters?
Part 2: In what ways are the characters affected by other settings in the story?
Part 3: Were the story to take place in a different state or area, how would might the story have changed?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of being a parent is one that is debated in this novel, with different versions of parenting being represented.
Part 1: How do you think motherhood is portrayed in this novel? Positively? Negatively?
Part 2: How do you think fatherhood is portrayed in this novel? Positively? Negatively?
Part 3: What do you think the author's feelings about parenting are?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)