|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thinking that runners like __________, Ginny decides to wait in her tomato garden for Jess to come by again.
2. Pammy and Linda decide to play with each other in another part of ________ house as the parents are playing a game.
3. What kind of plants seem to be fine, even though Ginny and Ty's relationship seems broken?
4. On Wednesday, what does Ginny wander around to find as she used to go there as a child?
5. After a church service, Ginny urges _________ to make amends with Larry as she thinks it's the right thing to do.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Harold buy for himself without consulting Larry, which made Larry a bit upset?
2. When Ginny takes her nieces to the swimming pool, what do they complain about to her?
3. What happens when Jess arrives at Ginny's with frozen meat for her to store for him and for Harold?
4. What does Ginny do in order to try to catch a glance of Jess Clark again?
5. What happened to Ginny's grandmother's grandparents find when they arrived in the United States from England?
6. When Ty returns with the missing Larry, what does Larry have to say to Ginny in person?
7. Why was Jess in church that morning, as he explains later when his father and brother are not around?
8. What are the reactions of the daughters to Larry's new disappearance?
9. Why does Ginny run back home on her way to feed her father one morning?
10. When Pete mentions overhearing that Harold is going to be changing his will, how does Jess respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Larry is a character that the reader hates from the start, and yet, one cannot help but also feel some pity for him and for his situation.
Part 1: Do you think Larry is an inherently bad person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Had the girls' Mom not died, do you think Larry would have been a different person? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Larry realizes just how awful he has been to his children? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ginny finally escapes the farm and the country, leaving without explanation and without any plan for her future.
Part 1: Why do you think Ginny decided to leave when she did?
Part 2: Why do you think Ginny decided to leave without telling anyone she was going?
Part 3: What do Ginny's actions surrounding leaving say about her and about her emotional state at the time of her departure?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of rural life is one that weaves its way in and around this story. This backdrop provides a unique setting in which certain things can and cannot occur.
Part 1: In what ways does rural life affect the story within this novel?
Part 2: Why do you think the rural setting was important to use in this story? Could a city landscape have worked?
Part 3: What kinds of things are explored when a story is placed in a rural setting which could not be explored in another location?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)