|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leaphorn read on the plane home from New York?
2. Where did elders from the Latter-day Saints come from to talk with Houk about his deals?
3. What mental problems did Brigham have?
4. In which horse stall did Houk die?
5. How far away is the next live water from the hogan where Chee left Nakai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memories does Houk have of the first fifty years of his life?
2. When Leaphorn sees a snowy egret, what does he compare it to?
3. What would Pete do if she left to live with her boyfriend?
4. What does Irene Musket say about Houk's trips in the kayak?
5. While Houk is in the barn considering his fate, what does he realize he should have known?
6. How does Arnold know that Friedman-Bernal took his kayak?
7. How does Leaphorn persuade Marcy to tell him the name of the buyer who bought the pot Friedman-Bernal was interested in?
8. Where does Arnold believe that Friedman-Bernal might have taken his kayak?
9. What tracks does Leaphorn discover in the area where Friedman-Bernal left her kayak?
10. What does Detective McGee look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chee is assigned to watch the Navajo Tribal Motor Pool. Discuss the case, why it is assigned to Chee, and why the case is later assigned to Sergeant Benally.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Leaphorn and Chee. Show how the two men are different, and how they are alike.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)