|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stacked in bales in the barn?
2. What mental problems did Brigham have?
3. How far below the Bluff bridge, does Leaphorn allow the kayak drift into a sandbar?
4. Who had once written to Houk telling him "to make things right"?
5. Where does Houk hide a note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leaphorn ask Irene Musket to do for him as he took out the kayak?
2. What is the last thing that Houk does before someone comes for him?
3. Why won't L. G. Marcy tell Leaphorn who the buyer was of the pot that interested Friedman-Bernal?
4. What has been a major source of satisfaction for Harrison Houk for most of his life?
5. What does Irene Musket say about Houk's trips in the kayak?
6. Why does Detective McGee from the Utah State Police wish to speak with Leaphorn?
7. Where does Pete's ex-boyfriend want her to go?
8. What lines the shelves on either side of a formal fireplace in DuMont's home?
9. What does Chee learn when he calls the travel agency that Elliot uses?
10. How does Arnold know that Friedman-Bernal took his kayak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thatcher is assigned to serve a warrant to Dr. Friedman-Bernal. Discuss the accusations against Dr. Friedman-Bernal and what is learned during the course of the investigation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Elliot and Davis.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)