|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Houk use to compare how his mind worked when he was younger?
2. When would Houk go down the river in his kayak?
3. What does Chee find inside a sack in Elliot's apartment?
4. Why does Houk have to use a cane?
5. What river does Leaphorn float down in Houk's kayak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leaphorn travel home from New York?
2. Where does Pete's ex-boyfriend want her to go?
3. Why won't L. G. Marcy tell Leaphorn who the buyer was of the pot that interested Friedman-Bernal?
4. Where did Etcitty find the pot that DuMont purchased?
5. How does Leaphorn persuade Marcy to tell him the name of the buyer who bought the pot Friedman-Bernal was interested in?
6. What lines the shelves on either side of a formal fireplace in DuMont's home?
7. When Leaphorn sees a snowy egret, what does he compare it to?
8. What reason does Nakai give for leaving his tent trailer?
9. What tracks does Leaphorn discover in the area where Friedman-Bernal left her kayak?
10. What does Leaphorn believe that Elliot will try to do as they carry Friedman-Bernal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Houk and the life he has led and how other characters view him.
Essay Topic 2
DuMont says that "One doesn't buy merely the object. One wants what goes with it. The history." Discuss what DuMont means that one buys the history of an object and how that relates to his desire to speak with Leaphorn.
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn seems to be affected by his wife's death. Discuss the death of Leaphorn's wife and how it affects him.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)