|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hogan where Chee leaves Nakai is situated on a wash. Where does that wash drain?
2. When Chee is trying to located Nakai, where is Chee driving when he hears the five o-clock news?
3. When would Houk go down the river in his kayak?
4. What color is the poncho that Leaphorn finds in the kayak Friedman-Bernal abandoned?
5. What color facial hair does the helicopter pilot have who flies Chee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Irene Musket say about Houk's trips in the kayak?
2. How does Arnold know that Friedman-Bernal took his kayak?
3. When Leaphorn climbs a cliff, who is standing waiting for him?
4. Where did Etcitty find the pot that DuMont purchased?
5. Why does Leaphorn light a fire?
6. What lines the shelves on either side of a formal fireplace in DuMont's home?
7. When Leaphorn sees a snowy egret, what does he compare it to?
8. What is the last thing that Houk does before someone comes for him?
9. What tracks does Leaphorn discover in the area where Friedman-Bernal left her kayak?
10. What has Houk done during his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Houk and the life he has led and how other characters view him.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Chee remembers an aphorism his uncle frequently told him, "When you're tired of walking up a long hill you think about how easy it's going to be walking down." Discuss the meaning of this aphorism and whether it came true for Chee.
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn enjoys the rain in New York City and purchases the first umbrella he has ever owned. Discuss why the rain is so special to Leaphorn and why he has never owned an umbrella.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)