|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since when had Harrison Houk known he was smarter than most people?
2. What river does Leaphorn float down in Houk's kayak?
3. What is the name of the state that the girl at the Tsaya Chapter House overheard Nakai mention?
4. In which horse stall did Houk die?
5. At what site is Randall Elliot working when Chee arrives at Chaco in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tracks does Leaphorn discover in the area where Friedman-Bernal left her kayak?
2. What did Elliot hope to study at Watersprinkler Canyon?
3. What does Chee learn when he calls the travel agency that Elliot uses?
4. What petroglyphs does Leaphorn see on the cliffs after he leaves the kayak?
5. What lines the shelves on either side of a formal fireplace in DuMont's home?
6. How does Arnold know that Friedman-Bernal took his kayak?
7. What memories does Houk have of the first fifty years of his life?
8. What does Detective McGee look like?
9. While Houk is in the barn considering his fate, what does he realize he should have known?
10. What does Irene Musket say about Houk's trips in the kayak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Houk and the life he has led and how other characters view him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
It takes awhile, but Chee finally realizes that he is done with his relationship with Mary Landon. Discuss the signs that Chee is finished with his relationship with Mary Landon.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)