|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river does Leaphorn float down in Houk's kayak?
2. How long has Flight Contractors been renting helicopters to Elliot?
3. When did an Anasazi family have two holes in the left mandible and the usual one in the right?
4. What color is the poncho that Leaphorn finds in the kayak Friedman-Bernal abandoned?
5. On what side of the river did Leaphorn pull the kayak onto a sandbar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last thing that Houk does before someone comes for him?
2. Where does Houk consider hiding?
3. What petroglyphs does Leaphorn see on the cliffs after he leaves the kayak?
4. What did Elliot hope to study at Watersprinkler Canyon?
5. What does Amos Whistler say about the area where the pots came from that interest Friedman-Bernal?
6. When Leaphorn sees a snowy egret, what does he compare it to?
7. What does Leaphorn believe that Elliot will try to do as they carry Friedman-Bernal?
8. Why won't L. G. Marcy tell Leaphorn who the buyer was of the pot that interested Friedman-Bernal?
9. What reason does Nakai give for leaving his tent trailer?
10. How does Leaphorn travel home from New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Chee remembers an aphorism his uncle frequently told him, "When you're tired of walking up a long hill you think about how easy it's going to be walking down." Discuss the meaning of this aphorism and whether it came true for Chee.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Houk and the life he has led and how other characters view him.
Essay Topic 3
Leaphorn enjoys the rain in New York City and purchases the first umbrella he has ever owned. Discuss why the rain is so special to Leaphorn and why he has never owned an umbrella.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)