|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chee find the truck?
2. When Thatcher and Leaphorn arrive at Chaco, how many days has it been since Bob Luna reported that Eleanor Friedman-Bernal was missing?
3. How far is Chaco from the area where Dr. Friedman-Bernal is hiking?
4. What does Dr. Friedman-Bernal see on the wall of pictographs that she believes is a Navajo pictograph?
5. What type of pistol does Dr. Friedman-Bernal carry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leaphorn remember calls traveling when they used a Navajo Communications Company telephone line?
2. What items do Davis and Elliott think are missing from Dr. Friedman-Bernal's apartment?
3. Who saw the theft of a backhoe and why didn't they report it?
4. What does Leaphorn say about Chee and what is a hatathali?
5. What does Chee want to do when he discovers all the bones near the dead men?
6. Why is it difficult to have secrets at Chaco?
7. What does Dr. Friedman-Bernal see near a pool of water?
8. Why does Leaphorn decide to investigate Dr. Friedman-Bernal's disappearance?
9. How does Chee damage the car Janet Pete wants to buy?
10. What problems does Tso tell Pete that the car had before Chee wrecked it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Leaphorn and Chee. Show how the two men are different, and how they are alike.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
DuMont says that "One doesn't buy merely the object. One wants what goes with it. The history." Discuss what DuMont means that one buys the history of an object and how that relates to his desire to speak with Leaphorn.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)