|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the hat that Leaphorn found that belonged to Houk's son?
2. What was the name of Leaphorn's wife?
3. What is the name of Leaphorn's clan?
4. In Chapter 4, how far is Nakai's revival tent from Leaphorn's home?
5. What is Dr. Friedman-Bernal's ex-husband's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is one section of the canyon called the baseball gallery?
2. Why did Rev. Tafoya become a Christian?
3. What is the job of the contract archaeology team that Maxie Davis and Dr. Friedman-Bernal worked with?
4. How is Dr. Friedman-Bernal described as she makes her moonlit hike in the desert?
5. Who does Chee believe died first, Nails or Etcitty, and why?
6. What is the tradition of the Dineh regarding the dead?
7. Why aren't Dr. Friedman-Bernal's hands a lady's hands?
8. What does Chee want to do when he discovers all the bones near the dead men?
9. What does Thatcher say about Harrison Houk?
10. What problems does Tso tell Pete that the car had before Chee wrecked it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author uses back stories to provide information about characters and to describe events that happened before the occurrences in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why Leaphorn decides to investigate Dr. Friedman-Bernal's disappearance.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism and how Pete and Chee use symbolism to talk about their broken relationships.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)