|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how far is Nakai's revival tent from Leaphorn's home?
2. How far do anthropologists believe that the Old Ones carried the roof beams for the huge stone apartments that they built?
3. Where does Lehman teach?
4. How many miles are on the odometer of the car that Janet Pete wishes to buy?
5. How many years did Chee's girlfriend teach school in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chee believe that the person who was working in the area where Nails and Etcitty died knew what he was doing?
2. How did Leaphorn remember calls traveling when they used a Navajo Communications Company telephone line?
3. Who does Chee believe died first, Nails or Etcitty, and why?
4. Where had Leaphorn seen the man who is playing the guitar at the revival meeting before?
5. What does Thatcher say about Harrison Houk?
6. Who saw the theft of a backhoe and why didn't they report it?
7. How does Mrs. Luna describe Elliott?
8. What problems does Tso tell Pete that the car had before Chee wrecked it?
9. What changes has Leaphorn made in his bedroom to help him not think so much about Emma?
10. How did Leaphorn's wife, Emma die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Chee remembers an aphorism his uncle frequently told him, "When you're tired of walking up a long hill you think about how easy it's going to be walking down." Discuss the meaning of this aphorism and whether it came true for Chee.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and how Pete and Chee use symbolism to talk about their broken relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why love is not enough to keep the Chee and Mary Landon together.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)