|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in Nakai's congregation on the fringe of the Checkerboard Reservation?
2. What did Chee send his girlfriend once?
3. When was Nelson's auction house founded?
4. How old is Bob Luna's son?
5. How many days does Leaphorn's "terminal leave" run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chee do when he learns who the drunk was that caused a disturbance at the 7-Eleven?
2. When Leaphorn climbs a cliff, who is standing waiting for him?
3. What has been a major source of satisfaction for Harrison Houk for most of his life?
4. While Houk is in the barn considering his fate, what does he realize he should have known?
5. What has Houk done during his life?
6. What does Amos Whistler say about the area where the pots came from that interest Friedman-Bernal?
7. What does Irene Musket say about Houk's trips in the kayak?
8. How did Leaphorn's wife, Emma die?
9. What does Leaphorn believe that Elliot will try to do as they carry Friedman-Bernal?
10. Why does Leaphorn believe that the backhoe case and Dr. Friedman-Bernal's case overlap?
Essay Topic 1
Chee is assigned to watch the Navajo Tribal Motor Pool. Discuss the case, why it is assigned to Chee, and why the case is later assigned to Sergeant Benally.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the author uses back stories to provide information about characters and to describe events that happened before the occurrences in the novel.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)