|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bo Arnold hide the key to his house?
2. What is the first person wearing that Chee finds dead?
3. Where does Chee spend the afternoon hunting for a fellow who'd broken his brother-in-law's leg?
4. Chee has to wait for Janet Pete to return before he can tell her about her car. Where is Janet Pete?
5. How many Anasazi sites have been estimated to be on the Colorado Platau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What poster hangs on the wall where Thatcher and Leaphorn are waiting at the Chaco visitors' center?
2. How did Leaphorn remember calls traveling when they used a Navajo Communications Company telephone line?
3. What does Leaphorn say about Chee and what is a hatathali?
4. How did Dr. Friedman-Bernal make it appear that she was going to Farmington?
5. What problems does Tso tell Pete that the car had before Chee wrecked it?
6. What changes has Leaphorn made in his bedroom to help him not think so much about Emma?
7. What is the tradition of the Dineh regarding the dead?
8. Who saw the theft of a backhoe and why didn't they report it?
9. Why is one section of the canyon called the baseball gallery?
10. Who is Bo Arnold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss suspense and how the author uses suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Leaphorn seems to be affected by his wife's death. Discuss the death of Leaphorn's wife and how it affects him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Anasazi culture and how it related to the studies that Davis, Elliot, and Dr. Friedman-Bernal were doing at Chaco.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)