|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chee dream about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. After checking two possible landing points on the reservation side of the river and looking at the mouths of Butler Wash and Comb Creek, what bird does Leaphorn see?
(a) Snow goose.
(b) Wattled crane.
(d) Snowy egret.
3. When would Houk go down the river in his kayak?
(a) Every quarter moon.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Every full moon.
(d) Every other month.
4. Since when had Harrison Houk known he was smarter than most people?
(a) When he was 20.
(b) When he was a young child.
(c) His early teens.
(d) His 30's.
5. Where would Friedman-Bernal usually ask Arnold to pick her up if she was using his kayak?
(b) Mexican Hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile is used to describe how terrified Brigham was when he was found in an old coyote den?
2. What is L. G. Marcy's job title?
3. What magazine does Leaphorn browse through when Marcy leaves to get him some information?
4. What is the name of the pilot who will fly Chee in a helicopter?
5. What does Chee find inside a sack in Elliot's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last thing that Houk does before someone comes for him?
2. Why does Detective McGee from the Utah State Police wish to speak with Leaphorn?
3. What memories does Houk have of the first fifty years of his life?
4. What did Elliot hope to study at Watersprinkler Canyon?
5. What does Detective McGee look like?
6. Why was Elliot turned down when he applied to excavate sites in San Juan County?
7. What does Amos Whistler say about the area where the pots came from that interest Friedman-Bernal?
8. How does Arnold know that Friedman-Bernal took his kayak?
9. Why does Leaphorn light a fire?
10. What has Houk done during his life?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)