|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Harrison Houk when he realizes that he had not been smart enough?
(a) Standing on the porch of his house.
(b) Working in the yard.
(c) Sitting in his home office.
(d) Standing against the wall of a horse stall.
2. Which county sheriff's office identified Harrison Houk's body?
(a) Kane County.
(b) Washington County.
(c) Iron County.
(d) Garfield County.
3. In what mountain range does Many Ruins Canyon begin?
(a) Chuska Mountains.
(b) Abajo Mountains.
(c) Sleeping Ute Mountains.
(d) La Plata Mountains.
4. How far below the Bluff bridge, does Leaphorn allow the kayak drift into a sandbar?
(a) 3 miles.
(b) About 4 miles.
(c) 5 miles.
(d) About 7 miles.
5. What river does Leaphorn float down in Houk's kayak?
(a) San Miguel River.
(b) Colorado River.
(c) San Juan.
(d) Green River.
6. Why does Houk have to use a cane?
(a) An old war wound.
(b) A broken leg that never healed properly.
(c) Arthritis in his hip.
(d) Bad knees.
7. Where did elders from the Latter-day Saints come from to talk with Houk about his deals?
8. What does Dr. Arnold study?
9. How many miles is it from where Nakai left his car to the hogan where his brother lives?
(a) 13 miles.
(b) 12 miles.
(c) 9 miles.
(d) 8 miles.
10. What is stacked in bales in the barn?
11. What is the name of the pilot who will fly Chee in a helicopter?
(a) Ed King.
(b) Pete Ziegler.
(c) Bob Downing.
(d) Andy Travis.
12. At the end of Chapter 14, what direction does Leaphorn drive out of Window Rock?
13. When did an Anasazi family have two holes in the left mandible and the usual one in the right?
(a) 730 A.D.
(b) 650 A.D.
(c) 815 A. D.
(d) 540 A.D.
14. When Chee finds Nakai, how many hours has he spent in his pickup that day?
(a) 8 hours.
(b) At least 10 hours.
(c) About 12 hours.
(d) 15 hours.
15. Where did Friedman-Bernal hide the kayak?
(a) Under branches of tamarisks.
(b) Under a mequite tree.
(c) Under juniper branches.
(d) Under a desert willow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day did Irene Musket find Houk's body in the barn?
2. Off what road is Nakai's tent trailer parked?
3. Where did a commuter plane take Leaphorn after his New York trip?
4. The hogan where Chee leaves Nakai is situated on a wash. Where does that wash drain?
5. To what Navajo god does Leaphorn compare some of the petroglyphs to that he sees?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)