|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Houk grab to defend himself when he believes someone is coming after him?
(a) Two by four.
(c) Crow bar.
2. Where does Houk keep a pistol?
(a) Dresser drawer.
(b) Under the mattress of his bed.
(c) In a bathroom cupboard.
(d) Under the kitchen sink.
3. Where would Friedman-Bernal usually ask Arnold to pick her up if she was using his kayak?
(a) Mexican Hat.
4. When did an Anasazi family have two holes in the left mandible and the usual one in the right?
(a) 540 A.D.
(b) 730 A.D.
(c) 815 A. D.
(d) 650 A.D.
5. How long does Leaphorn believe it will take to float Friedman-Bernal on the kayaks down to Mexican Hat?
(a) 1 or 2 hours.
(b) 7 or 8 hours.
(c) 3 or 4 hours.
(d) 5 or 6 hours.
6. How many sacred mountains mark the borders of Dineh Bike'yah?
7. What did DuMont pay for the Anasazi pot he purchased?
8. Who is more or less Leaphorn's boss?
(a) Major Philips.
(b) Corporal Wyatt.
(c) Corporal Billy.
(d) Major Nez.
9. How far away is the next live water from the hogan where Chee left Nakai?
(a) 30 miles.
(b) 20 miles.
(c) 25 miles.
(d) 15 miles.
10. After checking two possible landing points on the reservation side of the river and looking at the mouths of Butler Wash and Comb Creek, what bird does Leaphorn see?
(b) Snowy egret.
(c) Wattled crane.
(d) Snow goose.
11. What river does Leaphorn float down in Houk's kayak?
(a) San Juan.
(b) Green River.
(c) San Miguel River.
(d) Colorado River.
12. On what side of the river did Leaphorn pull the kayak onto a sandbar?
13. Approximately how high do the cliffs of Many Ruins Canyon rise above a narrow, sandy bottom?
(a) Almost 1,000 feet.
(b) 1,200 feet.
(c) 1,500 feet.
(d) Nearly 2,000 feet.
14. What is the name of the pilot who will fly Chee in a helicopter?
(a) Ed King.
(b) Pete Ziegler.
(c) Andy Travis.
(d) Bob Downing.
15. How old was Brigham when he could climb a cliff that Houk wouldn't have tried with ropes?
Short Answer Questions
1. When would Houk go down the river in his kayak?
2. What part of Friedman's body is broken?
3. How long has Flight Contractors been renting helicopters to Elliot?
4. What is the name of the FBI agent who contacts L. G. Marcy and introduces Leaphorn?
5. What color windbreaker does Detective McGree wear?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)