* The moon has just risen and Dr. Eleanor Friedman-Bernal is wearing a backpack and hiking in the desert.
* She is keeping her destination a secret from her friends, and she has lied to them about her destination.
* She told her friends that she was driving into Farmington, New Mexico.
* Actually, she was hiking to a secret destination near Bluff, Utah.
* As Dr. Friedman-Bernal, an anthropologist, hikes, she thinks about her life as a single, professional woman and an upcoming meeting where she will reveal some of her recent discoveries to an academic colleague.
* She is excited about her present nighttime quest.
* She approaches a canyon she had helped to map and catalog the previous summer.
* One of the pictographs seems to be new, and the pictograph makes her aware of the darkness, the silence, and her total isolation.
* She pulls a .25 caliber automatic pistol from her backpack...
This section contains 4,201 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)