|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the implicit assumption that the Social Contract theory makes?
2. What do Intuitionist' believe in?
3. In what era was the theory of the Social Contract in favor?
4. What is the Veil of Ignorance in Rawls' argument?
5. Why did Hobbes see the necessity of the Social Contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that we have a Just society?
2. What does Rawls see as the problem of Intuition?
3. How did John Stuart Mill seek to redefine the Utilitarian maxim?
4. When was Intuitionism first developed?
5. What is one of the essential difficulties of Utilitarian theory?
6. What theory does Rawls want to re-invigorate in his argument?
7. Does Social Contract Theory have an opt-out policy?
8. Why did Adam Smith believe that Utilitarian economics were the best possible system?
9. What does the term ‘a priori’ mean, and what is an a priori truth?
10. What does an Intuitionist believe is the innate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of rights in Rawl's position? When are they established and why?
Essay Topic 2
As per Rawls’ argument, if you were granted any type of society to be born into, what would it be?
Essay Topic 3
Does Rawls believe in trickle-down wealth (the Right-wing) or state support and welfare (the Left Wing). Or is his views a marriage of the two?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)