|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Using the _________, Dr. King taught courage, love, overcoming fear, and the love of God as a means to grow and prepare for challenges.
2. Mr. Wilkins believed that the crisis was only ________ outwardly, though Dr. King did not agree with this statement.
3. ____________ comes from the knowledge that people are interdependent across the world.
4. Mr. Carmichael did not believe that a comparison of better or worse could be made in relation to ___________.
5. It is realized it will take more than just protests and marches for the __________ to receive the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the North, even as the South and its African American population began to gain respect?
2. What movement did Dr. King use as a comparison to the current Civil Rights movement society was facing?
3. What did Dr. King want his children to be judged based on, as opposed to the color of their skin?
4. How might soft-minded people be described, according to Dr. King in his book, THE STRENGTH TO LOVE?
5. What is the basic human desire that every person has at some time and in some way?
6. What did Dr. King feel the similarities between the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement were?
7. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
8. What did Dr. King feel that the African American people still needed in order to move forward?
9. What did Dr. King feel it was an honor to be called, even though he didn't feel himself to be this way?
10. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. King discusses time and time again that winning over the opposition needs to happen with the weapon of love.
Part 1: Do you think love can ever be a weapon? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for two opposing sides to love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Dr. King believes that love will be the thing that helps the movement succeed?
Essay Topic 2
Groups like the Ku Klux Klan began to form in order to oppose the rights of African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think hate groups spring up in society?
Part 2: Do you think that hate groups have as much a right to freedom of speech as anyone else? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think hate groups, like the KKK, should be handled?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is a person who is highly revered in the world and in the United States.
Part 1: Why do you think think it's important for people to remember the actions of Dr. King?
Part 2: Do you think Dr. King's work was done in vain? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would look if Dr. King had not stood up for African American rights?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)