|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each person on earth, according to Dr. King, is a child of God and has the right to expect _____________.
2. The riots in __________ were a form of protest, commonly used through the ages, destroying the symbols of things they need.
3. How many times does Dr. King tell Kenneth Clark he has been arrested?
4. The leaders in Alabama took pride in their opposition to the ________ and anti-segregation laws in 1963.
5. The greatest difficulty that African American leaders faced was that they did not want to be equated with the white ___________ that used boycotts to hurt others.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. King feel it was an honor to be called, even though he didn't feel himself to be this way?
2. Where does peace come from, according to Dr. King in his Christmas sermon on peace?
3. What did Dr. King accuse American presidents of in terms of their willingness to participate in the human rights movement?
4. How might soft-minded people be described, according to Dr. King in his book, THE STRENGTH TO LOVE?
5. What were the weapons used during the conflict against the brutality of Bull Connor?
6. What were the three revolutions that Dr. King saw happening around him, revolutions that people were sleeping through?
7. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
8. What was an important part of African American financial and economic power at the time?
9. What did Dr. King feel that the African American people still needed in order to move forward?
10. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. King discusses time and time again that winning over the opposition needs to happen with the weapon of love.
Part 1: Do you think love can ever be a weapon? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for two opposing sides to love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Dr. King believes that love will be the thing that helps the movement succeed?
Essay Topic 2
The right to vote was an important right to secure for the African American.
Part 1: Why do you think the right to vote was so important to secure?
Part 2: What do you think about your right to vote? Do you think about it at all?
Part 3: How do you think the country might be different if certain groups will still unable to vote because of race, gender, or religion?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King makes the point that nonviolence is not something for cowards.
Part 1: What do you think Dr. King means by this statement that nonviolence is not for cowards?
Part 2: Do you agree that nonviolence is not for cowards? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a coward could be a part of a nonviolent movement? Why or why not?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)