|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Preferred employment and housing opportunities would lift the African American to a ________ similar to the rest of America.
2. The ______________ also recognized the many men, women, and children who faced brutality in their peaceful struggle for justice.
3. The greatest tragedy of this battle for the integration of African Americans and whites was the denial of __________.
4. Using the _________, Dr. King taught courage, love, overcoming fear, and the love of God as a means to grow and prepare for challenges.
5. Those who advocated ________________ did not have the support of the majority of African Americans.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
2. What are some of the issues that the poor have to deal with in their everyday lives, according to Dr. King?
3. What did Dr. King feel that the African American people still needed in order to move forward?
4. What happened to the North, even as the South and its African American population began to gain respect?
5. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
6. What did Dr. King feel about the impact of nonviolence on white supremacists, though Malcolm X did not necessarily agree?
7. How might soft-minded people be described, according to Dr. King in his book, THE STRENGTH TO LOVE?
8. How did the Vietnam War hurt African American men more, according to the thoughts of Dr. King?
9. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
10. What were the weapons used during the conflict against the brutality of Bull Connor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. King discusses time and time again that winning over the opposition needs to happen with the weapon of love.
Part 1: Do you think love can ever be a weapon? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for two opposing sides to love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Dr. King believes that love will be the thing that helps the movement succeed?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that to be a realistic pacifist, those in the Church must fight against nuclear war and world annihilation.
Part 1: Do you think that all Christians are pacifists? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you consider yourself to be a pacifist? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to create a world in which no conflict occurs? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The government needs to be a part of the process in order to create social change, yet it seems to try to stay out of the way in many cases.
Part 1: What benefits will having a supportive government have on a social movement?
Part 2: Do you think that the government needs to be involved in order fro social change to happen? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the government tries to stay out of the way of social causes and movements?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)