|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The riots in __________ were a form of protest, commonly used through the ages, destroying the symbols of things they need.
2. Malcolm X' s argument did not accept the action of a ________ that had resulted in change in the South.
3. One extreme of the movement was to use Black Power to overthrow the ________________ and the whites.
4. The concern was not for those who killed the little girls, but for the __________ that shaped the murderers.
5. Though legislation was passed through Congress, the presidents were unwilling to insist on the _______________ of the laws.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. King want his children to be judged based on, as opposed to the color of their skin?
2. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
3. How did the Vietnam War hurt African American men more, according to the thoughts of Dr. King?
4. What was an important part of African American financial and economic power at the time?
5. Why was the right to vote for African Americans feared by racist Southern leaders, according to Dr. King?
6. What is the basic human desire that every person has at some time and in some way?
7. What happened to the North, even as the South and its African American population began to gain respect?
8. What did Dr. King feel the similarities between the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement were?
9. What did Dr. King feel about the impact of nonviolence on white supremacists, though Malcolm X did not necessarily agree?
10. Why were Dr. King and his wife, Coretta, not subject to segregation much in their lives before the movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The government needs to be a part of the process in order to create social change, yet it seems to try to stay out of the way in many cases.
Part 1: What benefits will having a supportive government have on a social movement?
Part 2: Do you think that the government needs to be involved in order fro social change to happen? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the government tries to stay out of the way of social causes and movements?
Essay Topic 2
Stereotypes seem to help to keep racism in place, but when they are struck down, then change can happen.
Part 1: Why do you think people have stereotypes of other groups?
Part 2: Do you think that you stereotype people before you get to know them? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think you are stereotyped today? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King seemed to think that suffering was a part of the process when you want to succeed in a cause.
Part 1: Do you think suffering is necessary in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: Can a cause ever be fought for without any suffering? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that Dr. King wanted to suffer to make his cause seem all the more important? Why or why not?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)