|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This horrible act of violence lead to a ___________ of the South and of the rest of the country.
2. The Watts Riots in ___________ illuminated the tension between the African Americans and the whites in the North and Western states.
3. Dr. King believed the receiving of the Nobel Peace Prize was due to the use of the ___________ response.
4. Though legislation was passed through Congress, the presidents were unwilling to insist on the _______________ of the laws.
5. Dr. King stated that the distance between promises and the implementation was _________ in the interview.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
2. What were the weapons used during the conflict against the brutality of Bull Connor?
3. Why were Dr. King and his wife, Coretta, not subject to segregation much in their lives before the movement?
4. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
5. What movement did Dr. King use as a comparison to the current Civil Rights movement society was facing?
6. What did Dr. King think would happen in society as a result of integration, according to his last conversation?
7. Where does peace come from, according to Dr. King in his Christmas sermon on peace?
8. What was the tool that brought a hope for integration, rather than the ideals that Black Power purported?
9. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
10. What did Dr. King want his children to be judged based on, as opposed to the color of their skin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people who tried to create large changes in the world have been assassinated in their attempts to do so.
Part 1: Why do you think someone killed Dr. King?
Part 2: Why do you think great people are assassinated by others?
Part 3: Do you think that assassinating great leaders is the right way to hurt the cause? Or does their death help the cause?
Essay Topic 2
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere," according to Dr. King in his letter from Birmingham City Jail.
Part 1: Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that injustice in one place can affect justice in other areas?
Part 3: How do you think justice can be preserved in society?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)