|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Those who advocated ________________ did not have the support of the majority of African Americans.
2. Weak __________ is the cause of racial prejudice, according to Dr. King's observations of the world.
3. The Vietnam War, Dr. King believed, took away effort and money from the war on ___________.
4. Mr. Wilkins believed that the crisis was only ________ outwardly, though Dr. King did not agree with this statement.
5. The concern was not for those who killed the little girls, but for the __________ that shaped the murderers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an important part of African American financial and economic power at the time?
2. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
3. What were the three revolutions that Dr. King saw happening around him, revolutions that people were sleeping through?
4. How might soft-minded people be described, according to Dr. King in his book, THE STRENGTH TO LOVE?
5. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
6. What did Dr. King feel about the impact of nonviolence on white supremacists, though Malcolm X did not necessarily agree?
7. What did Dr. King feel would help an African American be lifted to the same level as the rest of America?
8. What did Dr. King feel it was an honor to be called, even though he didn't feel himself to be this way?
9. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
10. How did many states respond to the rule that prevented the allowance of the separate but equal doctrine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that to be a realistic pacifist, those in the Church must fight against nuclear war and world annihilation.
Part 1: Do you think that all Christians are pacifists? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you consider yourself to be a pacifist? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to create a world in which no conflict occurs? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When a country goes to war, their resources are diverted to that cause, leaving many social programs without funding.
Part 1: Do you think it's fair to divert resources to war time expenses? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think there's a way to fund social programs and still go to war? Why or why not?
Part 3: Might it be possible that the Vietnam War was fought in order to take the heat off the Civil Rights Movement? Why or why not?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)