|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many considered the first phase of the ________ protest to be over and to be a failure, a movement to be viewed with suspicion.
2. Achievement of creative _____________ must be continued in order to reach that dream that Dr. King shares.
3. Politicians were needed who would stand up for issues and build and strengthen ___________ between African Americans.
4. After two months, the Kennedy administration sent in ___________ to mediate between the city leaders, merchants, and the African American leaders.
5. Mr. Carmichael did not believe that a comparison of better or worse could be made in relation to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Dr. King and his wife, Coretta, not subject to segregation much in their lives before the movement?
2. How might soft-minded people be described, according to Dr. King in his book, THE STRENGTH TO LOVE?
3. How did the Vietnam War hurt African American men more, according to the thoughts of Dr. King?
4. What did Dr. King feel would help an African American be lifted to the same level as the rest of America?
5. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
6. What did Dr. King feel that the African American people still needed in order to move forward?
7. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
8. What were the weapons used during the conflict against the brutality of Bull Connor?
9. What movement did Dr. King use as a comparison to the current Civil Rights movement society was facing?
10. What did Dr. King feel about the impact of nonviolence on white supremacists, though Malcolm X did not necessarily agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. King discusses time and time again that winning over the opposition needs to happen with the weapon of love.
Part 1: Do you think love can ever be a weapon? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for two opposing sides to love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Dr. King believes that love will be the thing that helps the movement succeed?
Essay Topic 2
Groups like the Ku Klux Klan began to form in order to oppose the rights of African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think hate groups spring up in society?
Part 2: Do you think that hate groups have as much a right to freedom of speech as anyone else? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think hate groups, like the KKK, should be handled?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of fighting for a cause with nonviolent tools seems contradictory to some.
Part 1: Why do you think people believe nonviolence to be the best way to fight for a cause?
Part 2: How do you think violence affects a cause when it is used to carry out a message or action?
Part 3: Do you agree that nonviolence is the best way to create change in the world? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)