|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ resulted from indifference of the southern racists and the continued exploitation of segregation.
2. Dr. King felt his first mistake in the nonviolent quest or freedom was accepting __________.
3. Dr. King believed that many people were _____________ through an important revolution.
4. Because the wealthy have the power to overlook the __________, Dr. King may have been overly confident.
5. Dr. King stated that the distance between promises and the implementation was _________ in the interview.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. King want his children to be judged based on, as opposed to the color of their skin?
2. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
3. Where does peace come from, according to Dr. King in his Christmas sermon on peace?
4. What was the tool that brought a hope for integration, rather than the ideals that Black Power purported?
5. What did Dr. King feel about the current state of the Civil Rights movement during the interview on Meet the Press?
6. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
7. What did Dr. King feel about the impact of nonviolence on white supremacists, though Malcolm X did not necessarily agree?
8. What did Dr. King feel that the African American people still needed in order to move forward?
9. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
10. Why was the right to vote for African Americans feared by racist Southern leaders, according to Dr. King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The government needs to be a part of the process in order to create social change, yet it seems to try to stay out of the way in many cases.
Part 1: What benefits will having a supportive government have on a social movement?
Part 2: Do you think that the government needs to be involved in order fro social change to happen? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the government tries to stay out of the way of social causes and movements?
Essay Topic 2
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that to be a realistic pacifist, those in the Church must fight against nuclear war and world annihilation.
Part 1: Do you think that all Christians are pacifists? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you consider yourself to be a pacifist? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to create a world in which no conflict occurs? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)