|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This horrible act of violence lead to a ___________ of the South and of the rest of the country.
2. ___________ needed to be revolutionized, creating recognition that capitalism as the example of the poor around the world was not appropriate.
3. One hundred years after the _______________, African American men still sought the guarantee to basic rights as outlined in the Declaration of Independence.
4. Dr. King wanted to point out that: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to ___________ everywhere."
5. It is realized it will take more than just protests and marches for the __________ to receive the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Vietnam War hurt African American men more, according to the thoughts of Dr. King?
2. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
3. What did Dr. King think would happen in society as a result of integration, according to his last conversation?
4. What did Dr. King feel about the impact of nonviolence on white supremacists, though Malcolm X did not necessarily agree?
5. What are some of the issues that the poor have to deal with in their everyday lives, according to Dr. King?
6. What is the basic human desire that every person has at some time and in some way?
7. What did Dr. King want his children to be judged based on, as opposed to the color of their skin?
8. Who did Dr. King think that the four murdered girls spoke to in their deaths?
9. What did Dr. King feel would help an African American be lifted to the same level as the rest of America?
10. What movement did Dr. King use as a comparison to the current Civil Rights movement society was facing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nonviolence arouses a sense of shame and builds reconciliation and redemption in society.
Part 1: Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that shame leads to reconciliation in other situations? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think shame could be introduced without the use of nonviolence? Or can't it?
Essay Topic 2
The right to vote was an important right to secure for the African American.
Part 1: Why do you think the right to vote was so important to secure?
Part 2: What do you think about your right to vote? Do you think about it at all?
Part 3: How do you think the country might be different if certain groups will still unable to vote because of race, gender, or religion?
Essay Topic 3
The government needs to be a part of the process in order to create social change, yet it seems to try to stay out of the way in many cases.
Part 1: What benefits will having a supportive government have on a social movement?
Part 2: Do you think that the government needs to be involved in order fro social change to happen? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the government tries to stay out of the way of social causes and movements?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)