|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The riots in __________ were a form of protest, commonly used through the ages, destroying the symbols of things they need.
2. Black young men were fighting and dying in wars for ____________ they could not get when they were back home.
3. Preferred employment and housing opportunities would lift the African American to a ________ similar to the rest of America.
4. Weak __________ is the cause of racial prejudice, according to Dr. King's observations of the world.
5. Because the wealthy have the power to overlook the __________, Dr. King may have been overly confident.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. King want his children to be judged based on, as opposed to the color of their skin?
2. What did Dr. King feel about the current state of the Civil Rights movement during the interview on Meet the Press?
3. What did Dr. King think would happen in society as a result of integration, according to his last conversation?
4. Why were Dr. King and his wife, Coretta, not subject to segregation much in their lives before the movement?
5. What were the three revolutions that Dr. King saw happening around him, revolutions that people were sleeping through?
6. What was the tool that brought a hope for integration, rather than the ideals that Black Power purported?
7. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
8. What did Dr. King believe the reason for his receiving the Nobel Peace Prize had to be?
9. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
10. What movement did Dr. King use as a comparison to the current Civil Rights movement society was facing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of fighting for a cause with nonviolent tools seems contradictory to some.
Part 1: Why do you think people believe nonviolence to be the best way to fight for a cause?
Part 2: How do you think violence affects a cause when it is used to carry out a message or action?
Part 3: Do you agree that nonviolence is the best way to create change in the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. King discusses time and time again that winning over the opposition needs to happen with the weapon of love.
Part 1: Do you think love can ever be a weapon? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for two opposing sides to love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Dr. King believes that love will be the thing that helps the movement succeed?
Essay Topic 3
It is said that to be a realistic pacifist, those in the Church must fight against nuclear war and world annihilation.
Part 1: Do you think that all Christians are pacifists? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you consider yourself to be a pacifist? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to create a world in which no conflict occurs? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)