|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Laws enacted without __________ provided changes and minimal reform with no real freedom - words are not supported by deeds.
2. _________, Alabama was the most violent, ruthless place in which Dr. King and others attempted to gain justice and equity.
3. How many little girls were killed at the bombing at the Sunday School?
4. It is realized it will take more than just protests and marches for the __________ to receive the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
5. Dr. King believed that unselfishly giving of themselves would help to develop a powerful ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Dr. King and his wife, Coretta, not subject to segregation much in their lives before the movement?
2. How might soft-minded people be described, according to Dr. King in his book, THE STRENGTH TO LOVE?
3. What was an important part of African American financial and economic power at the time?
4. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
5. What did Dr. King feel the survival of society depended on at this point in time and in this era of change?
6. Who did Dr. King think that the four murdered girls spoke to in their deaths?
7. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
8. What did Dr. King feel would help an African American be lifted to the same level as the rest of America?
9. What were the three revolutions that Dr. King saw happening around him, revolutions that people were sleeping through?
10. What did Dr. King believe the reason for his receiving the Nobel Peace Prize had to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. King makes the point that nonviolence is not something for cowards.
Part 1: What do you think Dr. King means by this statement that nonviolence is not for cowards?
Part 2: Do you agree that nonviolence is not for cowards? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a coward could be a part of a nonviolent movement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Groups like the Ku Klux Klan began to form in order to oppose the rights of African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think hate groups spring up in society?
Part 2: Do you think that hate groups have as much a right to freedom of speech as anyone else? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think hate groups, like the KKK, should be handled?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King brings up the idea that there are just laws and unjust laws which may or may not be obeyed.
Part 1: How would you define the idea of a just law? Why?
Part 2: How would you define the idea of an unjust law? Why?
Part 3: Do you think a person has the right to decide which laws are okay to follow and each are not? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)