|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unemployment and its resulting loss of _________ was one of the main problems, as Dr. King saw in in relation to the riots.
2. Weak __________ is the cause of racial prejudice, according to Dr. King's observations of the world.
3. Americans held onto the dream of all people having a right to _______, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
4. The greatest tragedy of this battle for the integration of African Americans and whites was the denial of __________.
5. Dr. King stated that the distance between promises and the implementation was _________ in the interview.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the issues that the poor have to deal with in their everyday lives, according to Dr. King?
2. What movement did Dr. King use as a comparison to the current Civil Rights movement society was facing?
3. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
4. What did Dr. King feel would help an African American be lifted to the same level as the rest of America?
5. What did Dr. King believe the reason for his receiving the Nobel Peace Prize had to be?
6. What was the tool that brought a hope for integration, rather than the ideals that Black Power purported?
7. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
8. What is the basic human desire that every person has at some time and in some way?
9. Who did Dr. King think that the four murdered girls spoke to in their deaths?
10. What were the weapons used during the conflict against the brutality of Bull Connor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that to be a realistic pacifist, those in the Church must fight against nuclear war and world annihilation.
Part 1: Do you think that all Christians are pacifists? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you consider yourself to be a pacifist? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic to create a world in which no conflict occurs? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nonviolence arouses a sense of shame and builds reconciliation and redemption in society.
Part 1: Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that shame leads to reconciliation in other situations? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think shame could be introduced without the use of nonviolence? Or can't it?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)