|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ______________ also recognized the many men, women, and children who faced brutality in their peaceful struggle for justice.
2. _________-minded people are realistic, decisive, astute, and firm of purpose, according to Dr. King's observations.
3. Malcolm X' s argument did not accept the action of a ________ that had resulted in change in the South.
4. Dr. King noted that somehow African Americans had slipped from _____ percent a man down to half a man.
5. Achievement of creative _____________ must be continued in order to reach that dream that Dr. King shares.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the right to vote for African Americans feared by racist Southern leaders, according to Dr. King?
2. Where does peace come from, according to Dr. King in his Christmas sermon on peace?
3. How could the marchers in the march from Selma to Montgomery be described at this point?
4. What were Dr. King's main concerns about the Vietnam War when it was fought?
5. Why was nonviolent action considered to be imperative to Dr. King at this point in time?
6. What did Dr. King accuse American presidents of in terms of their willingness to participate in the human rights movement?
7. What are some of the issues that the poor have to deal with in their everyday lives, according to Dr. King?
8. What did Dr. King challenge his listeners to do during this speech?
9. Why were Dr. King and his wife, Coretta, not subject to segregation much in their lives before the movement?
10. Who did Dr. King think that the four murdered girls spoke to in their deaths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The government needs to be a part of the process in order to create social change, yet it seems to try to stay out of the way in many cases.
Part 1: What benefits will having a supportive government have on a social movement?
Part 2: Do you think that the government needs to be involved in order fro social change to happen? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the government tries to stay out of the way of social causes and movements?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. King and Malcolm X had two completely different ways, it seems, to look at the way to fight for black rights.
Part 1: Why do you think Malcolm X doesn't agree with the way that Dr. King ran his movement?
Part 2: Do you think that Malcolm X has valid points in terms of pointing out the weaknesses of Dr. King's crusade?
Part 3: Who do you think has a better plan for civil rights? Malcolm X or Dr. King? Why?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)