|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. King discussed the idea that those who oppose __________ rarely give up privileges without intense opposition.
2. Where were the African Americans allowed to sit when they took a bus to get somewhere?
3. The plans for the future, said Dr. King, involve the removal of blockage, not pouring _________ over the troubled waters in order to calm them.
4. The ________ was required to industrialize, developing economic power, improving medical care, etc.
5. In spite of the extreme ___________ in the area, Dr. King found little evidence of abuse towards each other.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the greatest moral dilemma when it came to the crisis of race relations?
2. What happened if an African American person wanted to ride a bus in Montgomery, Alabama?
3. What did the increased economic status of the African American now allow them to do?
4. What does the theory of nonviolence teach to those who are willing to practice it during tough times?
5. What were the four main forces which enabled the problems of partial integration to be overcome?
6. What did Dr. King say happened when voting rights were opened to all groups of people?
7. What does Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. want to stress that nonviolence is NOT for?
8. What would the Executive Order be able to do for the Civil Rights movement, according to Dr. King?
9. What became a new tool in the battle for those unwilling to allow total freedom and justice for all?
10. What did Dr. King tell men and women to do when it came to the rights of the African Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
People, according to the Declaration of Independence, have a right to life, liberty, and to the pursuit of happiness.
Part 1: Do you think that this statement of the Declaration of Independence meant to include every single person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that the founders of the Declaration of Independence would support King's movement? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you agree that everyone should have a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is a person who is highly revered in the world and in the United States.
Part 1: Why do you think think it's important for people to remember the actions of Dr. King?
Part 2: Do you think Dr. King's work was done in vain? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would look if Dr. King had not stood up for African American rights?
Essay Topic 3
Nonviolence arouses a sense of shame and builds reconciliation and redemption in society.
Part 1: Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that shame leads to reconciliation in other situations? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think shame could be introduced without the use of nonviolence? Or can't it?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)