|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. King fought against the stories that African Americans sought to achieve freedom through the use of __________.
2. The plans for the future, said Dr. King, involve the removal of blockage, not pouring _________ over the troubled waters in order to calm them.
3. Dr. King said that this time was momentous, that a new ____________ was being born during a time which was filled with hope.
4. The president, according to Dr. King, had a fundamental responsibility as leader of the country to lead the way forward to securing __________.
5. Token _________ are not satisfactory ends, according to Dr. King and to his writing and his speeches.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the crisis in 1962 that allowed the problem of the Civil Rights movement to be less than dominant in society?
2. What were some of the forms of persecution that Dr. King endured from the time he began to fight for black rights?
3. What was the plan for the march from Selma to Montgomery in terms of how long it would last?
4. As opposed to nonviolence, what did the protesters first see their actions as when they were first beginning?
5. What did Dr. King say happened when voting rights were opened to all groups of people?
6. After what two events did Governor Wallace declare his stubborn resistance to desegregation?
7. What would the Executive Order be able to do for the Civil Rights movement, according to Dr. King?
8. What does Dr. King want people to use during the battle for freedom and for justice?
9. What happened if an African American person wanted to ride a bus in Montgomery, Alabama?
10. What did the increased economic status of the African American now allow them to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of fighting for a cause with nonviolent tools seems contradictory to some.
Part 1: Why do you think people believe nonviolence to be the best way to fight for a cause?
Part 2: How do you think violence affects a cause when it is used to carry out a message or action?
Part 3: Do you agree that nonviolence is the best way to create change in the world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Groups like the Ku Klux Klan began to form in order to oppose the rights of African Americans.
Part 1: Why do you think hate groups spring up in society?
Part 2: Do you think that hate groups have as much a right to freedom of speech as anyone else? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think hate groups, like the KKK, should be handled?
Essay Topic 3
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)