|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of segregation was India facing in its own country, that Gandhi felt compelled to address?
2. What did the people do instead of giving in to a discriminatory bus system in Alabama?
3. Dr. King remembers working with a group of gang members from the ___________ ghettos.
4. Who did Dr. King think was goading some of the African Americans into committing acts of violence?
5. ___________ not only harms one physically, but it injures one spiritually, according to Dr. King.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the increased economic status of the African American now allow them to do?
2. As a result of the protests the students witnessed, what did they gain in relation to their fears about the Civil Rights movement?
3. What was the greatest moral dilemma when it came to the crisis of race relations?
4. As opposed to nonviolence, what did the protesters first see their actions as when they were first beginning?
5. Where were some of the problems that people in the ghetto were facing on a near daily basis?
6. What did Dr. King see in India, even with the extreme poverty in the area as he witnessed for himself?
7. Why were there violent outbreaks of African Americans in some areas, even though the struggle was typically nonviolent?
8. What did the finding of a personal God help Dr. King to do during his years fighting for Civil Rights?
9. What does the theory of nonviolence teach to those who are willing to practice it during tough times?
10. What did Dr. King tell men and women to do when it came to the rights of the African Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In today's world, new civil rights movements are springing up, most recently the civil rights movement for homosexuals.
Part 1: Do you think the civil rights movement that Dr. King helped support has been won? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that civil rights movements can ever be 100% successful? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the gay rights movement has used tactics that Dr. King did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. King discusses time and time again that winning over the opposition needs to happen with the weapon of love.
Part 1: Do you think love can ever be a weapon? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible for two opposing sides to love each other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Dr. King believes that love will be the thing that helps the movement succeed?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is a person who is highly revered in the world and in the United States.
Part 1: Why do you think think it's important for people to remember the actions of Dr. King?
Part 2: Do you think Dr. King's work was done in vain? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the world would look if Dr. King had not stood up for African American rights?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)